OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, Navy, Gtown, etc., 2016-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So fire another cosch, or make a bug trade?

Btw - this is mostly on Leonsis, IMO. He allows a culture where people who fail, stick around. All you need to do is look at 17 years if George and sone 12 or so of Ernie.

He’s good at loyakty etc, and good/decent teams. He’s bad at holding people accountable and demanding excellence.

It’s just his way. There are are a lot of worse owners for sure (just look around the local landscape), but a good segment better too.

Fire Grunfeld and bring in a GM who has proven he can make actual basketball trades (or is at least willing to try). Same as he did with George and GMBM. I don't think Ernie has ever made an actual basketball trade. He trades his draft picks like they're meaningless for marginal players, signs people to terrible contracts, then trades more draft picks to unload said terrible contracts which leaves the team good but not good enough and with no cap flexibility and minimal assets to make the necessary upgrades.

I like Brooks. While I find his half court offense less than desirable I can't tell if that's a reflection of coaching or just Wall and Beal thinking they can do whatever they want. He's developed Porter into a terrific player, Oubre is coming along nicely, Mike Scott has been resurrected, etc. I think Brooks is a good developmental coach and I don't think he's the problem here.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I think the opposite, actually. I think Ivan wants to be head coach at Navy right now. If Ken doesn't leave soon I imagine Ivan will, or at least seriously consider it (if he hasn't already). Another thing keeping Jasper at Navy, I bet, other than the myriad of benefits you get from being a coach at Navy is his son's heart condition. I imagine the Jasper family doesn't want to relocate at this time.

Yes Jasper is the coach in waiting and it sounds like he may be getting impatient and may leave if he doesn't get the HC position soon. I say let him leave. Coach Ken has earned the right to stay or go at Navy whenever he wants. Sure Paul Johnson started the success Navy has had in football this millennium but Coach Ken has taken what he was given and sustained and upgraded a what Johnson left him. Also, its Ivin Jasper, not Ivan Jasper. ;)

Sounds like the Lerner's value the GM position just slightly more than they do the Manager position. Not good.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The Wizards stink. Losing by 16 at the half to the 2nd worst team in the West. I wonder what mediocre player Ernie is going to trade his 1st round pick for in order to save this sinking ship...

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I wonder if paying 5x$7M for Brooks just because he used to coach Durant might swear Leonsis off from paying any coaches big money ever again. It was a dumb idea to begin with but, hey, feel free to let it compound.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Beal and anything else it would take to get Kawhi Leonard?

Wall and Leonard sounds real effin’ tasty if you ask me...

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Wiz at OKC tonight. National game on TNT. Could get ugly. Rolling a lot of OKC players in DK

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
It really is amazing to see how a potentially special nucleus of good players for the Bullets/Wiz seem to fizzle/fall apart for whatever reason soon after they are brought together. First it was Webber/Howard, then Arenas/Butler/Jamison and now the Wall/Beal nucleus is dealing with strife and a max deal anchor around their neck in Otto.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It really is amazing to see how a potentially special nucleus of good players for the Bullets/Wiz seem to fizzle/fall apart for whatever reason soon after they are brought together. First it was Webber/Howard, then Arenas/Butler/Jamison and now the Wall/Beal nucleus is dealing with strife and a max deal anchor around their neck in Otto.

I just wonder if Beal and Porter aren’t redundant. Sure, Porter can play the 3, but they both are basically shooters. Beal can crate better than Porter, but they both are spot ups. Porter may not be able to grow w Beal there.

Something needs to change, if this year ends the way it’s played out so far (disappointing). They could catch fire and roll through a few teams come playoff time, so knowing Ted he will let them have that chance. But if they fizzle hard, while paying that luxury tax for the first time, I am sure we will see some serious changes.....probably to the roster. And maybe thru management change.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I just wonder if Beal and Porter aren’t redundant. Sure, Porter can play the 3, but they both are basically shooters. Beal can crate better than Porter, but they both are spot ups. Porter may not be able to grow w Beal there.

Something needs to change, if this year ends the way it’s played out so far (disappointing). They could catch fire and roll through a few teams come playoff time, so knowing Ted he will let them have that chance. But if they fizzle hard, while paying that luxury tax for the first time, I am sure we will see some serious changes.....probably to the roster. And maybe thru management change.
Porter should mostly play the 4.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The you have 29m in C’s riding the bench. Something has to give for this team to improve.

They're not going to improve. Mahinmi has arguably the worst contract in the NBA and the team is worse with Gortat on the floor. Gortat may be tradeable while Mahinmi has negative value. Ernie will have to pay through the nose to unload that Mahinmi contract which is the clearest way for this team to get better.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They're not going to improve. Mahinmi has arguably the worst contract in the NBA and the team is worse with Gortat on the floor. Gortat may be tradeable while Mahinmi has negative value. Ernie will have to pay through the nose to unload that Mahinmi contract which is the clearest way for this team to get better.

Man...who knew there were sooooo many bad contracts....he’s not even close by this list.

5 Worst NBA Contracts at Every Position

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
He can get traded. Wiz have pieces.

What do they do w Oubre? He’s gonna be good. Maybe better than Porter. And they already have Beal.

Won’t trade Wall.

Griffin just got dealt. Got a really big return. DeAndre Jordan will be available. The Clippers wants to make the playoffs.

Mahinmi plus what (1st and someone worth 8m?)
Gortat plus what (1st and someone worth 12m?)

I’m not saying I want that. But the team has assets, Jordan runs the floor, can play big defense, and would instantly upgrade the starting 5. Can’t give up another 1st, right? Could they give 2019 1st (or 2020)and somehow make it work without Oubre being involved? Keep him if deal 1st?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He can get traded. Wiz have pieces.

What do they do w Oubre? He’s gonna be good. Maybe better than Porter. And they already have Beal.

Won’t trade Wall.

Griffin just got dealt. Got a really big return. DeAndre Jordan will be available. The Clippers wants to make the playoffs.

Mahinmi plus what (1st and someone worth 8m?)
Gortat plus what (1st and someone worth 12m?)

I’m not saying I want that. But the team has assets, Jordan runs the floor, can play big defense, and would instantly upgrade the starting 5. Can’t give up another 1st, right? Could they give 2019 1st (or 2020)and somehow make it work without Oubre being involved? Keep him if deal 1st?

Your analysis was that was a big return for Griffin?

Lowe: This Blake Griffin trade might be a trap for 'super-mediocrity'

When you read that the LA Clippers traded him for (mainly) a lightly protected first-round pick and a younger power forward they might have some interest in re-signing in July 2019, your reaction was probably: That's it? That's all they get for Blake freaking Griffin?
And if the Clippers don't re-sign Avery Bradley this summer or Tobias Harris in two summers, then they flipped Griffin -- the greatest homegrown player in the franchise's (mostly pathetic) modern history -- for one first-round pick and one second-rounder.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Your analysis was that was a big return for Griffin?

Lowe: This Blake Griffin trade might be a trap for 'super-mediocrity'

When you read that the LA Clippers traded him for (mainly) a lightly protected first-round pick and a younger power forward they might have some interest in re-signing in July 2019, your reaction was probably: That's it? That's all they get for Blake freaking Griffin?
And if the Clippers don't re-sign Avery Bradley this summer or Tobias Harris in two summers, then they flipped Griffin -- the greatest homegrown player in the franchise's (mostly pathetic) modern history -- for one first-round pick and one second-rounder.

Their 2 tops scorers (who were high pedigree players), a first, a second, and a mammoth man/project for a guy that’s missed more than half his games the last few years (injured), and now makes 34m a season? Griffin missed all 09-10 with left knee problems. Since then he’s also had back issues, torn left quad, broken hand, staph infection, right knee surgery, broken toe, sprained MCL (left knee), and a concussion. That’s 8 different body parts in....8 years?

So Yeah. That’s a really good haul. If people are worried about bad contracts, watch out for this one in 2 years when Blake is grounded for a long time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia