OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, Navy, Gtown, etc., 2016-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Six weeks is not a "clean up". It's not major reconstructive surgery but it's more than just a little scraping or draining. Something has to mend and strengthen.

-Dr. g00n

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
This is from a presser back in 2012:

Reporter: Is your injury -- I saw a report that said -- similar to Blake Griffin's?

Wall: He broke his kneecap. I think mine was just a stress fracture where I was in the beginning stages of breaking my kneecap. It was lucky I caught it before it broke, and I would already know what my timetable is: I would miss the whole season. And I had a little bit of cartilage problems. Underneath my kneecap it's kind of rough.

TRANSCRIPT: Wall opens up about injury and rehab

And here is what Wall had done prior to last season:

The Washington Wizards announced that guard John Wall underwent a successful procedure today to excise calcific deposits in his left patella tendon in order to eliminate pain and assist healing. He will begin the rehabilitation process immediately and is expected to be available for the start of the 2016-17 season. Wall also underwent an arthroscopic lavage on his right knee in order to remove loose bodies.

Wizards' John Wall undergoes surgical procedures on both of his knees

Makes you wonder how long this guy can hold up considering his play style.

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Here is some good medical news for this thread:

My best to the Jasper family and Jarren in particular. I hope this new heart is accepted by his body and Jarren can move on to being a normal kid. Or as normal a kid as he can with a heart transplant.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Kevin Love out 6-8 weeks w/ broken hand.

Huge win for the Wiz tonight at home against OKC. The team actually looks rejuvenated since Wall's injury. They look more like a team and less like individuals. That's no shot at Wall, just an observation that it seems the team is coming together as a result of the adversity which is nice to see.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'd consider trading Wall. Legitimate concerns about his ability to stay healthy and his longevity. That said, I'd only consider trading him if:
  • the deal brought back multiple firsts including a lottery pick this year and...
  • Mahinmi was included so we can rid ourselves of that horrid contract and...
  • Ernie could bring in another starting caliber PG.
Trading Wall requires Ernie to make a legitimate basketball trade which is outside the scope his abilities and requires Ted to take a risk and to trade his most marketable player which he won't do, so it's a moot point. Not going to happen.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Wiz win their 3rd straight game -- which coincidentally is the 3rd straight game that Wall has missed -- this time against the 2nd place Raptors. 'Kief Morris has scored at least 20 points/game during that stretch. Beal is playing great ball. Wiz look galvanized... we'll see if it continues.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Wiz win their 3rd straight game -- which coincidentally is the 3rd straight game that Wall has missed -- this time against the 2nd place Raptors. 'Kief Morris has scored at least 20 points/game during that stretch. Beal is playing great ball. Wiz look galvanized... we'll see if it continues.

I will continue until Wall returns. :sarcasm:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The question is whether or not removing Wall triggered something sustainable and he's part of the problem, or they're just all waking up and filling the gap. The former is a chemistry problem and the latter is a motivation/professionalism problem.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
That certainly would be interesting.

I said that in jest, sort of, but it’s worth paying attention to. The 3 games he’s been out more players are contributing offensively. Are they doing it to fill the Wall void or are they being included more in the offense?

Wall confuses me when I watch him. Is he a Westbrook type of PG where everything depends on him offensively or is he a more traditional PG who gets his teammates involved. He seems more the former and that’s the problem. He can’t shoot consistently enough to be a Westbrook and he doesn’t appear to get players like Porter and Morris enough for them to get in a Rhythm.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I said that in jest, sort of, but it’s worth paying attention to. The 3 games he’s been out more players are contributing offensively. Are they doing it to fill the Wall void or are they being included more in the offense?

Wall confuses me when I watch him. Is he a Westbrook type of PG where everything depends on him offensively or is he a more traditional PG who gets his teammates involved. He seems more the former and that’s the problem. He can’t shoot consistently enough to be a Westbrook and he doesn’t appear to get players like Porter and Morris enough for them to get in a Rhythm.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. The problem with Wall is that in half court offense everything runs through him -- everyone just stands around waiting for him to do something -- so if he's off his game they're screwed. When he's out they've been playing team offense much more efficiently. It seems to me that when Wall is out the other guys feel more freedom to create their own shot and the ball moves a lot more; everyone seems to be getting a touch on most possessions. You're also totally right, his shooting is not good. It drives me insane when I see them milk the shot clock down, everyone clears out, Wall runs an Iso then pulls up for a 12 foot brick which allows the other team to hit the Wiz in transition.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Another win for the Bullets. Least they are winning the games that they should.. and are one loss behind Cleveland for 3rd

2 out of their last 3 wins have been against Toronto and OKC. Not sure that qualifies as games they should win. It's good to see them play well, though. They blew the doors off of Orlando. Satoransky looks terrific.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Lowe: What to expect and what could surprise at the NBA trade deadline

The Wizards have investigated the market for Jordan without gaining any traction, sources say. A package of Marcin Gortat, Jason Smith (perhaps heading to a third team), Kelly Oubre and a first-round pick has long been my favorite realistic Jordan package. Oubre is up for an extension after this season. Washington will have trouble paying Oubre, Bradley Beal, John Wall, and Otto Porter.
Of course, they'd also have trouble paying Jordan, Beal, Wall, and Porter. (They could trade Porter, but it's unclear if the Clippers have any interest.) Interest leaguewide would be higher if Jordan signaled he might opt into his deal for next season, but that hasn't happened, sources say. The salary mechanics between Washington and LA are tricky; the Wiz are over the tax, the Clippers barely under it.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Lowe: What to expect and what could surprise at the NBA trade deadline

The Wizards have investigated the market for Jordan without gaining any traction, sources say. A package of Marcin Gortat, Jason Smith (perhaps heading to a third team), Kelly Oubre and a first-round pick has long been my favorite realistic Jordan package. Oubre is up for an extension after this season. Washington will have trouble paying Oubre, Bradley Beal, John Wall, and Otto Porter.
Of course, they'd also have trouble paying Jordan, Beal, Wall, and Porter. (They could trade Porter, but it's unclear if the Clippers have any interest.) Interest leaguewide would be higher if Jordan signaled he might opt into his deal for next season, but that hasn't happened, sources say. The salary mechanics between Washington and LA are tricky; the Wiz are over the tax, the Clippers barely under it.

Saw that. Awful lot to give up for an FA. I would only trade Oubre and the first for someone that we can keep for a spell, and I’d need to lose Mahimni to do it (not Gortat). But that’s just me.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I haven't been able to watch any of the other Wall-free games but I caught some of the 2nd half vs Indy and the first thing I noticed was better ball movement on offense, including immediate distribution rather than holding the ball waiting for the chance to isolate, other than the few times Beal just tried to take it one on one for a questionable shot.

If you have one guy doing that a few times a game it doesn't hurt you. If you have two or more doing it you have no team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad