OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, etc. : Version VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
They're not especially good at any one thing on offense and their defense isn't good enough to win a game 58-55 or something like that if the offense sputters. They certainly have the talent but they need a lot of work to be dangerous in the dance, and I don't think they have the coaching to make the necessary improvements.

The team goes as Melo goes. That will be even more true in the Dance, where guard play becomes a much larger piece.

The only solace I have, is that the team has a pretty sparkling record in close games. I don't remember the actual record, but it's impressive.

If Melo gets hot in the Dance, they could win the thing. But if he continues his sophomore slump, then it's probably sweet 16 and then flame out.

And Turgeon isn't a great game coach, or "improve a player" coach. Least, not that I have seen.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The team goes as Melo goes. That will be even more true in the Dance, where guard play becomes a much larger piece.

The only solace I have, is that the team has a pretty sparkling record in close games. I don't remember the actual record, but it's impressive.

If Melo gets hot in the Dance, they could win the thing. But if he continues his sophomore slump, then it's probably sweet 16 and then flame out.

And Turgeon isn't a great game coach, or "improve a player" coach. Least, not that I have seen.

I saw an interview with Turgeon a few weeks ago and he was being asked about integrating Sulaimon into the MD team as former Blue Devil "problem child". I got the impression that MT is well aware that he has a one-time group of talent and he's just trying to keep them all together and happy as personalities. I don't think he sees any value in coaching them up in a developmental sense, whether he could do it or not, because many of them are gone.

And that fits exactly with what we see out there when they go on bad stretches where they make rec ball level mistakes over and over. Turgeon's key adjustment is what kind of press he's going to put on when trailing. Otherwise he seems to just let Melo and Rasheed run the show.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I saw an interview with Turgeon a few weeks ago and he was being asked about integrating Sulaimon into the MD team as former Blue Devil "problem child". I got the impression that MT is well aware that he has a one-time group of talent and he's just trying to keep them all together and happy as personalities. I don't think he sees any value in coaching them up in a developmental sense, whether he could do it or not, because many of them are gone.

And that fits exactly with what we see out there when they go on bad stretches where they make rec ball level mistakes over and over. Turgeon's key adjustment is what kind of press he's going to put on when trailing. Otherwise he seems to just let Melo and Rasheed run the show.

That speaks to his issues. Top coaches (Calipari, Pintino, Coach K, Boeheim, Self, R Williams, Izzo etc etc) don't care about that. It's their team, and the players are the pieces on the battle field.

If Turgeon can't get there, then he won't win one, and UMD will need to replace him. G Williams never had those kind of prospects, but he was the General.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Ill be honest....I typically try to follow along with how the Bullets are doing....but I don't have a damn clue this year. No idea. Are they even in the playoff hunt? Has Durant signed yet? LOL.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ernie is a moron. Straight up garbage. They specifically didn't improve the team this offseason with the hopes of getting KD, and now they're going to throw away a 1st round pick? For what? To get bounced in the 1st round as the 7th or 8th seed?

This isn't nearly Erat/Forsberg bad, but it's the same type of desperation move to save his job. Ted allowed it to happen. Again.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ill be honest....I typically try to follow along with how the Bullets are doing....but I don't have a damn clue this year. No idea. Are they even in the playoff hunt? Has Durant signed yet? LOL.

It's probably going to take 42 wins to hit the 8th seed. The Wizards need to go 19-12 -- a winning % of 61% -- over the remainder of their games to hit that number, which would just give them the right to get bounced as the 8th seed. Their current winning % is 45%. They're in the hunt, but they suck. More here if you're interested.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Injuries haven't helped, the loss of Pierce hasn't helped. Their defense has been abysmal and they can't hold the lead. That falls on the coach.

The NBA is a superstar league, plain and simple. The Wizards have one (Wall), a very good player (Beal), some above average players (Gortat, Porter, Dudley), and some JAGs. That falls on Ernie. He is allergic to talent on draft day. This team would be a perennial bottom feeder if they didn't have Wall fall in their lap.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Hopefully a buy low situation:

Morris renewed some of his former form once interim head coach Earl Watson took over on Feb. 2 and put him in the starting lineup. It showcased Morris' value as he averaged 20.4 points, 7.6 rebounds and 4.6 assists with 44.8 percent shooting in five games, for which he also averaged 4.0 fouls and 3.4 turnovers. For the season, Morris has the fifth-worst effective field goal percentage (42.2), adjusted for 3-pointers' worth, among all qualified NBA players.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ds-latest-trade-details-comments-and-reaction

Do we have to trade for his brother too? At least he's close in Philly. Instantly becomes the 4th highest paid Wizard. 2 more years left on his deal after this I think.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's a cost-cutting move. Clearing space, maybe for Durant. :naughty:

Morris is a 2011 first round pick out of Kansas. Seems like a project though, and he was suspended for 2 games last December for throwing a towel at his coach. Appears as though he was demanding a trade, gesturing at heckling fans, and so forth. So, another motivated seller probably fleeces Ernie.

Maybe they'll put him inside more since his shooting percentage sucks, and let Nene walk (UFA). Nene is overpaid at $13M. Bye. Morris is a damn good, STRONG finisher inside, which imo Nene and Gortat are not. He's also cheap at just under $3M, though I'm not sure what the NBA RFA rules will do to that number. It has to be less than ****ing Nene.

They have 6 UFAs coming off the books next year, and 2 RFAs. With the savings they'd get IF they even keep Morris, plus Humphries and Blair coming off the books (another $6.6M), it really seems like they could be clearing room for Durant. It would be nice if they could also keep Beal on a reasonable deal (injury time factored in).

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/washington-wizards/yearly/cap/

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Whats been the issue this year? Im guessing that tool Whittman and/or injuries.

Well they tried to install a golden state style offense that everyone in the league is trying to copy and not really have the personnel for it. And this seemed to impact their defense which has been terrible this year.

Was no secret they want to be able to offer a max contract this off season otherwise they could have had a better team then what they fielded which ultimately I'm OK with but another year wasted of Wall prime.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
OMG Terps losing to Minnesota late in the 3rd. MN is 6-19 and 0-13 in the conference.

:facepalm:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's a cost-cutting move. Clearing space, maybe for Durant. :naughty:

Morris is a 2011 first round pick out of Kansas. Seems like a project though, and he was suspended for 2 games last December for throwing a towel at his coach. Appears as though he was demanding a trade, gesturing at heckling fans, and so forth. So, another motivated seller probably fleeces Ernie.

Maybe they'll put him inside more since his shooting percentage sucks, and let Nene walk (UFA). Nene is overpaid at $13M. Bye. Morris is a damn good, STRONG finisher inside, which imo Nene and Gortat are not. He's also cheap at just under $3M, though I'm not sure what the NBA RFA rules will do to that number. It has to be less than ****ing Nene.

They have 6 UFAs coming off the books next year, and 2 RFAs. With the savings they'd get IF they even keep Morris, plus Humphries and Blair coming off the books (another $6.6M), it really seems like they could be clearing room for Durant. It would be nice if they could also keep Beal on a reasonable deal (injury time factored in).

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/washington-wizards/yearly/cap/

Spotrac is outdated. He signed a 4 year $32 mil extension. This is year two of that, so two more @ $8 mil per after this.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Spotrac is outdated. He signed a 4 year $32 mil extension. This is year two of that, so two more @ $8 mil per after this.

Not nearly as attractive, then. Makes very little sense, unless they're anticipating losing Nene and a few others for sure. Maybe they've heard Durant has crossed DC off the list or something.

I also hope they keep Sessions

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Whats been the issue this year? Im guessing that tool Whittman and/or injuries.

I know people say injuries are a lame excuse, but the Wizards are leading the league in man-games lost to injury by a pretty large margin.

Not nearly as attractive, then. Makes very little sense, unless they're anticipating losing Nene and a few others for sure. Maybe they've heard Durant has crossed DC off the list or something.

I also hope they keep Sessions

According to people who know better than I do, they've still got space for a max contract.

EDIT: Also, he's under contract for three more years after this one, not two.

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Bullets still have space for a max contract and give Beal a new contract apparently. Beal's annual injuries though are a little concerning but they probably don't have a choice.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Nice reception for Markieff from the home crowd tonight. He hit two free throws for his first points. The trade is done and over with so I'm fully rooting for him to work out here. I knew he was somewhat local but did not realize his mother lives in Clinton, MD. Hopefully being close to home will keep his head in the game.

Holy ****. Steve Blake is still in the league. Just checked in for the Pistons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad