OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, etc. : Version VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I hope the dude works out, but still can't shake the idea that it's a serious overpayment...

http://news.yahoo.com/morris-saga-ends-mcdonough-hopes-breath-fresh-air-233855968--spt.html

Even though every NBA front office knew how badly they were trying to get rid of Markieff, the Suns were able to get a protected first-round draft pick from the Wizards, along with Kris Humphries and DeJuan Blair. They were preparing to waive Blair but have plans to add Humphries to their beleaguered roster.

The biggest prize was the draft pick.

"We feel good about it," McDonough said. "Anytime you're able to acquire a draft pick that has a chance to be late lottery or mid-first round for a player that probably wasn't fitting in as well as he could have, we view that as a positive outcome for the franchise."

Would've been ideal to have a leader and character guy like Pierce around for this, but oh well.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
Nice reception for Markieff from the home crowd tonight. He hit two free throws for his first points. The trade is done and over with so I'm fully rooting for him to work out here. I knew he was somewhat local but did not realize his mother lives in Clinton, MD. Hopefully being close to home will keep his head in the game.

Holy ****. Steve Blake is still in the league. Just checked in for the Pistons.
Blake has made over 30 million in his career. 30 freaking million dollars for Steve Blake.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Harper asked about his next contract yesterday. He said there should be no limits put on what players can make, basically.

“I mean, I’ve got three years to play. I’ve got three years to do everything I can to play this game. The $400 [million] or whatever everybody was talking about, money, you can’t put a limit on players,†Harper said. “You can’t put a limit on what they do. If that’s on the field, off the field, everything they do. Everybody says the sky’s the limit. But we’ve been on the moon.â€

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...bfa82c-d9a0-11e5-925f-1d10062cc82d_story.html

Translation, enjoy Harper while he is here cause he is off to NY when his contract is up.

Talk of a 400 mil contract at a minimum. Lerner's will never pay that and even if they did what type of team would surround Harper?

I'd say trade him after this season and get what you can before he walks in 3 years for nothing.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Can't blame the guy if he takes $400mm+ to play for the Yankees. Professional sports is one of the few industries where you have no choice who your first employer is or where you live. If another employer wants to pay him 10-15%+ more than his current employer or if he wants to exercise his right to live in a different city, you can't fault him.

I am a firm believer that athletes should take the max contract they can, every time, with few exceptions. Owners and management typically show no loyalty, especially once athletes get up there in age, and they are always one play or bad bounce away from a career ending injury. Take the money while you can. I also think mgmt shouldn't be faulted if they trade away said athlete before losing him for nothing if they don't play on paying him, as Hog mentioned. That said, if Bryce -- or any other athlete -- really likes it some where and they'd give up a little bit of their money because they like their team, their fans, their city, etc then more power to them.

This $400mm+ contract talk also has me thinking, "why would any elite athlete choose football over baseball?"

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
If NY gives Harper 500+ mil good for Harper. Can't fault the guy getting paid.

But I can blame the Nats for letting a 500+ mil player walk for nothing.

The Nats will lose Stasburg for nothing after this season so why not go all out this year for a WS and then look to trade Harper in the offseason? He will have 2 years left on his deal so he won't be a 1 year rental. Get the Dodgers involved so NY will be forced to bid for Harper instead of waiting for Harper to hit the open market. Nats can take a couple years to restock the team with what they get for Harper for another WS run.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, they wouldn't get nothing. They would get a 1st rounder. That's basically nothing when they're losing an MVP.

But at some point, it's a bit concerning.

I think they're better off trying to offer him as much as they can stomach now, and if he won't take it, make the decision on whether they can keep pay what it will take to keep him. If they can, do it. If not, think about a trade at some stage.

The O's have a similar issue with Machado, though a bit harder as he has injury issues and they're cheaper.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They're saying Machado is also in the Yankees crosshairs. They have something like $200 mil in salary coming off the books at the right time according to ESPN talking heads last night and want both guys.

If Harper won't extend they have to move him 2 summers from now worst case.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If Machado becomes a Yank it will be worse than Mussina's defection.

I don't see it.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Os signed Fowler to a 3 year deal.

I hope they didn't screw the pooch and give up their first pick for him if Gallardo's physical goes the way it seems to on occasion.

I'm in the Machado going to NY would be a major blow, but at this point, I expect it. Angelos is a cancer, and you can't expect a guy to take way less money to stay.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I'm in the Machado going to NY would be a major blow, but at this point, I expect it. Angelos is a cancer, and you can't expect a guy to take way less money to stay.

Angelos is a dick, but I don't think it would matter who is the owner when it comes to paying a player like Machado. Baltimore, baseball wise, is a middle to small market team. Either it pays a player like Machado and have little to nothing surrounding him, or they let a player like Machado go and field a competitive team of Adam Jones level players. Can't do both.

Same with the Nationals. Pay Harper and have a team of AAA players around him, or invest in players like Zimmerman, Scherzer, etc... and compete for Division and WS titles.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't really agree.

They have the money. They can realistically afford to spend to the top 10 in salary.

They're not a small market team, no matter what Angelos says. Their MASN deal alone is one of the richer in the league. Throw in the fact that Camden is a state built park that makes a mint. Sure, attendance is down (relative to the 90s when it was packed week in and week out) but you're playing in a lucrative division with clubs (Yankees, Red Sox) that travel well to sell out 18-20 dates a year.

Can they afford to not pay him? The damage it will continue to do to the good will of the fans is a risky situation. If he's as good as he can be, and that's an MVP level player with the hitting and 40+ homeruns and plus, plus defense, along with speed and steals, I'm not sure how they could stand to let him go. Can they pay what the Yankees might? No, maybe not in the top end. But they could certainly stand to pay him closer to market than not. I mean, offer him something above what Trout got and see if you can get him to kick the can a bit further down the road. He's still going to make a mint.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I don't really agree.

They have the money. They can realistically afford to spend to the top 10 in salary.

They're not a small market team, no matter what Angelos says. Their MASN deal alone is one of the richer in the league. Throw in the fact that Camden is a state built park that makes a mint. Sure, attendance is down (relative to the 90s when it was packed week in and week out) but you're playing in a lucrative division with clubs (Yankees, Red Sox) that travel well to sell out 18-20 dates a year.

Can they afford to not pay him? The damage it will continue to do to the good will of the fans is a risky situation. If he's as good as he can be, and that's an MVP level player with the hitting and 40+ homeruns and plus, plus defense, along with speed and steals, I'm not sure how they could stand to let him go. Can they pay what the Yankees might? No, maybe not in the top end. But they could certainly stand to pay him closer to market than not. I mean, offer him something above what Trout got and see if you can get him to kick the can a bit further down the road. He's still going to make a mint.

I said middle to small market, but more middle market. And yes the MASN deal helps a lot, but the Nats moving in down the street from Baltimore has had a significant impact on the Orioles, IMO. An impact the MASN deal doesn't fully compensate for.

And its not just the Yankees that would go after him. 2 teams in LA and that team up in Boston should be in on Machado.

As far as good will, Machado is a Boras client. Boras jacking the price up for Machado will be the cover Angelos needs to save face with the fans.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Angelos is a dick, but I don't think it would matter who is the owner when it comes to paying a player like Machado. Baltimore, baseball wise, is a middle to small market team. Either it pays a player like Machado and have little to nothing surrounding him, or they let a player like Machado go and field a competitive team of Adam Jones level players. Can't do both.

Same with the Nationals. Pay Harper and have a team of AAA players around him, or invest in players like Zimmerman, Scherzer, etc... and compete for Division and WS titles.

Huh? The Nats had the 5th highest payroll in the league last year, and they'll be able to spend more when the MASN stuff gets resolved. They can afford to pay Harper and field a competitive team around him.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Huh? The Nats had the 5th highest payroll in the league last year, and they'll be able to spend more when the MASN stuff gets resolved. They can afford to pay Harper and field a competitive team around him.

Then why have the Lerner's put a self imposed salary cap on the team?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
If that cap is $165 mil like it was last year, then he's right. They should be able to make it work.

They couldn't make things work for Cespedes, Heyward, Zobrist and O'Day this offseason. And are they going to break the bank to re-sign Strasburg next offseason?

From April 2014:

"We're beyond topped out," Lerner said prior to the Nationals' home opener. "Our payroll, as you know, has skyrocketed to about $140 million. I don't think we can go much farther with the revenue stream that we have."

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/baseb...ls/talk/lerner-nats-payroll-beyond-topped-out

That quote, and Thom Loverro saying much the same thing about the Lerner's over the last year, suggests money is an object for the Nationals where is it is not for the Yankees, Dodgers, Angels, Red Sox or Cubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad