OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, etc. : Version VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They "should" be able to field a competitive team around Harper with a top-5 payroll if that's the cap...

Key word being SHOULD.

Are they going to break the bank for Stras?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
They "should" be able to field a competitive team around Harper with a top-5 payroll if that's the cap...

Key word being SHOULD.

Are they going to break the bank for Stras?

Should and will are two different things. The Nats should of gotten one, or a couple, of the FA's I listed before this past off season, but they didn't. The Nats should of resigned Jordan Zimmerman, but they didn't. The Nats should resign Strasburg, but is there any indication that is even a 50/50 possibility?

My main point is the odds the Nats can, or will, resign Harper is not great. So trade him while they can to get something before a 500+ possible generational baseball talent walks for nothing.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Should and will are two different things. The Nats should of gotten one, or a couple, of the FA's I listed before this past off season, but they didn't. The Nats should of resigned Jordan Zimmerman, but they didn't. The Nats should resign Strasburg, but is there any indication that is even a 50/50 possibility?

My main point is the odds the Nats can, or will, resign Harper is not great. So trade him while they can to get something before a 500+ possible generational baseball talent walks for nothing.

The Nats let Zimmerman walk and will almost certainly let Strasburg walk because of their philosophy on Tommy John's surgery, not money. Most players who have that surgery need another in about 8 years, and that 2nd TJ surgery has a 20% success rate. Zimm and Stras are both coming up on that 8 year mark, so Rizzo doesn't want to sign them long term only to have them blow out their elbow again early in the contract and never recover.

Personally, I'm not as pessimistic about our chances of re-signing Harper. Werth's contract is up in two years and we've got some great prospects like Giolito, Turner, and Taylor that'll be taking over starting roles in the next few years who'll save us some money. Hopefully the MASN dispute will be settled by then, which will bring in a lot more cash for the franchise. Harper's merchandising power and the draw of having a bonafide superstar also helps financially. I think it can work out where we keep Harper and stay competitive.

I mean, the team this year was basically just Harper, and he very nearly dragged that injury riddled, mismanaged mess into the playoffs. He doesn't need a huge amount of help to make this team a contender.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
The Nationals are probably the main reason the Orioles have been able to sign Chris Davis, Adam Jones, Darren O'Day, and Ubaldo. That extra revenue has been crucial.

However, its been detrimental to the Nats. For whatever reason, the Learners are uncomfortable going over 165 million, and committing to a long term deal with a lot of money up front. Heyward and Cespedes both wanted a front loaded deal with an early opt out. Be it the MASN deal, the current payroll expansion, or just "being cheap" it's not happening.

As for Strasburg, I really don't think he wants to be here. I certainly don't think he'd give any kind of discount. And I buy in to, somewhat, the research about TJS. I think we're approaching a point where you have to think of pitchers as disposable, as staying healthy is virtually impossible.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
The Nats let Zimmerman walk and will almost certainly let Strasburg walk because of their philosophy on Tommy John's surgery, not money. Most players who have that surgery need another in about 8 years, and that 2nd TJ surgery has a 20% success rate. Zimm and Stras are both coming up on that 8 year mark, so Rizzo doesn't want to sign them long term only to have them blow out their elbow again early in the contract and never recover.

Then why the **** did the Nats shut down Strasburg in 2014, and Zimmerman before that, the year after their TJ surgery? I call BS on this so called "philosophy" unless you have a source(s) to back it up.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Wiz with a terrible choke job last night. Cannot happen if they want to make the playoffs.

Maybe their leader has his mind on other things besides the playoffs....

Having established himself as one of the best players in basketball, Wall has grown frustrated with his relatively low profile nationally and in Washington. Wall has few endorsements and became a sneaker free agent when his contract with adidas expired last September. He feels the limited exposure contributed to him finishing sixth in All-Star voting for Eastern Conference guards one year after finishing first.

“The type of player I am, and person I am, character I have, I should be seen on commercials, in the nation’s eyes and the people’s eyes. And I haven’t,†Wall told The Vertical. “I want to leave a legacy and you can’t leave a legacy hiding behind the doors, and I think that’s what I did my first six years really. It ain’t like I want to be bigger and better than anybody, I just think it’s an opportunity to be seen. Where’s my little share?â€

For Wall, the change is startling considering his popularity after one season at Kentucky, where “I was everywhere,†Wall said. “I ain’t got no billboards in D.C.â€

...like billboards and sneaker deals. :laugh:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/four-d...ain-t-trying-to-waste-a-season-164836324.html

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Maybe their leader has his mind on other things besides the playoffs...

...like billboards and sneaker deals. :laugh:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/four-d...ain-t-trying-to-waste-a-season-164836324.html

I mean, he's not wrong, and I don't blame him one bit. Wall is one of the top PGs in the world and he gets no press. I'm sure it's frustrating watching guys like Kyrie, Steph, Paul, Westbrook, etc get all the accolades while he's wasting his prime away under Wittman and Ernie. He's probably not going to be an Olympian because he won't win the popularity contest.

Not trying to sound snide here: when was the last time you went to a Wizards game? The arena is dead. No energy and it gets louder when there's a chance of free chicken sandwiches rather than when the Wiz do something good. Wittman and Ernie must go, and they should have been gone last year.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Not trying to sound snide here: when was the last time you went to a Wizards game? The arena is dead. No energy and it gets louder when there's a chance of free chicken sandwiches rather than when the Wiz do something good. Wittman and Ernie must go, and they should have been gone last year.

Its been a while. I'll go when the NBA starts enforcing the most basic rule in the sport. Traveling.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
Then why the **** did the Nats shut down Strasburg in 2014, and Zimmerman before that, the year after their TJ surgery? I call BS on this so called "philosophy" unless you have a source(s) to back it up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...367f62-d646-11e4-8103-fa84725dbf9d_story.html

They shut him (them) down so they could keep them healthy for the rest of their time with the club. There was, and still is, substantial evidence that an innings limit after TJS is helpful in reducing complications and issues later on.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...367f62-d646-11e4-8103-fa84725dbf9d_story.html

Thanks for the link. Would be nice to read quotes from Rizzo attributed to this philosophy though. Not just a sports columnist saying its so.

Buts lets look at this philosophy. Not scared to draft in the 1st pitchers that will need TJ surgery. Not scared to sit pitchers who have had TJ surgery in the midst of a WS run to protect them. But scared ****less to resign them, and let them walk for nothing, for fear they will need a 2nd TJ surgery. Hell of a philosophy.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No idea why he expects all this while being a borderline top Point Guard in the league but whatever

I'm with you. It's not his environment holding him back. Become a LEGIT in your face Superstar on the court and notoriety and endorsements will come.

I LOVE Wall...he is the Wizards now, but he's not a 1A superstar like he's suggesting IMO.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
Thanks for the link. Would be nice to read quotes from Rizzo attributed to this philosophy though. Not just a sports columnist saying its so.

Buts lets look at this philosophy. Not scared to draft in the 1st pitchers that will need TJ surgery. Not scared to sit pitchers who have had TJ surgery in the midst of a WS run to protect them. But scared ****less to resign them, and let them walk for nothing, for fear they will need a 2nd TJ surgery. Hell of a philosophy.

Something like that has to be off the record. No way a GM could say that because it would kill any leverage the GM has. And the Nationals offered JZ a 5 year, 105 million dollar extension in 2014, so I'm not sure how much I believe it.

But it's clearly obvious that hard throwing pitchers who have UCL surgery have a shelf life after surgery and it may not be wise to invest in them long term.

I thought The Shutdown was a mistake then and I still think it is. Quite frankly, if Strasburg is on the playoff roster, there is no freaking way that Edwin Jackson is pitching in the playoffs, much less Davey allowing him to come in relief. Even so, we won't know until we watch what happens with the Mets' pitchers this season and in 2017.

As for drafting Giolito, the kid was/is special. If he hadn't needed TJS, he'd probably have been the number 1 pick. Certainly top 3. He's basically Jose Fernandez, but with a better curve ball and more velocity. And the article talks about ~8 years after TJS being the expectancy. That's basically all of Giolito's controllable years. So, frankly, we can expect to be getting the best out of Giolito and right as he's hitting that period where they expect injuries, he'll be a free agent or a year away from being one.

We wont' be letting him walk for nothing. He'll get a QO and, if Strasburg performs, the Nats will get a pick. And they'll reload with pitchers. Like Beane said, baseball is a war of attrition and what's being attrited is pitchers' arms.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
Damn ... he's left about 80 million on the table after turning down that extension.

And as much as I love his character and his attitude, I thank the baseball gods every day he turned it down. Nationals have really lucked out that their two big extension attempts were rejected.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Wiz currently in a close one in Minny, and still chasing a playoff spot somehow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->