Post-Game Talk: Nashville Predators (0-1-0) at Pittsburgh Penguins (0-1-1) - 10/7/17 6:00 Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Hoping this team can come together and start geling fast or it's going to be a long and boring season. Going to need some leaders to step up on this team.

Last edited:

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
It's almost as if we shouldn't have left one of the best shooters in the league exposed.

Obviously I know he wouldn't have fixed everything but sheesh this offense is absolutely inept.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Hoping this team can come together and start geling fast or it's going to be a long and boring season.
I might be what we need a 1st overall pick this year would be sweet since it would be a king's ransom to move up and we could finally get some high end offensive talent.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Hoping this team can come together and start geling fast or it's going to be a long and boring season.
Philly and Dallas at home, but then at Chicago next Saturday who will want payback. So yeah, getting this ship squared away next two home games is a must.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yes, and the correct pronunciation is apparently oh-bear or oh-bear-uh. So it's all rubbish.

Thanks. So, it'll probably take us all season to adjust to calling him "Aye-berg," only to re-learn to call him "Oh-berg" next season. Lovely.

It's almost as if we shouldn't have left one of the best shooters in the league exposed.

Obviously I know he wouldn't have fixed everything but sheesh this offense is absolutely inept.

Having a bona fide threat on the 2nd line is important. Poile not only gimped the 2nd line by protecting Jarnkrok; he also made it an easy decision for other teams to put all of their focus on shutting down the 1st line, but both top two lines suffer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scoresberg

TheOriginalJez

Oct 24, 2014
A box under a bridge
I don't blame Saros for any of that but I'm glad we'll have Rinne back on Tuesday. Pekka maybe would have made it closer but it doesn't make up for our complete lack of quality attack. Murray could have been a beer league goalie for all we threw at him.

Apart from that I hope we give Girard a chance - Irwin can't be in the top 4. I'm really frustrated if we've brought in Emelin as a relatively significant cap hit just to struggle to break into the bottom 2, if anyone should be making up for Ellis while he's out it's him. Or trade him - use him to get a sniper somehow but he's a waste of money where he's been pre-season and the last two games.

Hopefully being back in Smashville brings some spirit back, there's not enough changes in the side for us to continue to be this bad for long. Surely.

TheOriginalJez

Oct 24, 2014
A box under a bridge
Partly why we need Fisher back at least he can win a fight/was entertaining to watch. Someone needs to get him back out of retirement.

I loved Fish, don't get me wrong, but he wasn't the kind of player we should miss that much in truth. He was a solid 2/3C. That is replaceable. His leadership was good, but to my mind we're still replacing Weber in that department. If we can't get over Fisher retiring then it's a sign that we have much deeper issues to deal with. I do miss Carrie though...

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
Josi is more of a quiet leader? To be honest, we don't really have a strong leader on this team right now.

Each November, around Thanksgiving, I'm thinking we're not going to make the playoffs. And then January and February happen. I really don't want to have to wait that long this season.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Honestly, I'm not surprised. I had concerns that they would start off the season slowly, partly from hangover from the Cup run (maybe not being ready to play again so soon, thinking that they can just pick right up where they left off in June, etc.) and partly from the somewhat big changes to the team (losing Neal, Ellis and their former Captain). I suspected that it might take a couple of months for them to get going. Hopefully, they don't dig themselves too deep of a hole in that time, though.

TheOriginalJez

Oct 24, 2014
A box under a bridge
Josi is more of a quiet leader? To be honest, we don't really have a strong leader on this team right now.

I'm not sure about this, he was up in the ref's faces enough every time a call went against us. It's worth remembering that he's not on with a regular partner at the moment so he's got to look after his own line as well as the team and he's playing fewer minutes than he usually would as a result. I think between him, Joey and PK there was plenty of leading by example, it just doesn't work so well when you're not working as a team :/

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I loved Fish, don't get me wrong, but he wasn't the kind of player we should miss that much in truth. He was a solid 2/3C. That is replaceable. His leadership was good, but to my mind we're still replacing Weber in that department. If we can't get over Fisher retiring then it's a sign that we have much deeper issues to deal with. I do miss Carrie though...

I'm not so sure about that as I think Fisher added more to this team than people gave him credit for. Even though he wasn't the most skilled guy out there, I saw him as the heart and soul of the team as he would always give his 100% every time he was on the ice and put this body on the line to block shots or use his big body to fight to get the puck and get it to his teammates. He also was a decent scorer himself. It wasn't until he came on this team did the Preds finally get past the first round and then second round and then get to the Stanley Cup finals. Seems like every milestone the Preds had or gotten past Mike was a part of it/part of that team. Think w/ his age though he was definitely going towards the decline side though. At least he left when we were on top and on his own terms. It's still way too early though to see how this team will turn out and hopefully they figure it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheOriginalJez

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I think this team is still trying to figure out their identity. They have two new players they are having to adjust to w/ Hartnell and Bonino so it may take time to gel. Just hope they figure it out early rather than later.

Last edited:

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I hear that Dahlin kid is pretty good. Can't wait to see him in Preds gold!

Just kidding. Refocus and get back to it on Tuesday.

If we lose the next two at home, I'll start worrying.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I hear that Dahlin kid is pretty good. Can't wait to see him in Preds gold!

Just kidding. Refocus and get back to it on Tuesday.

If we lose the next two at home, I'll start worrying.
We would pick 4th with our luck!! Damn the Oilers gaming the system as they did.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Has there been a season since Lavy became the coach where we didn't start the season looking like we've never practiced as a group?

Actually the first two seasons we started off strong. 7-2-2 in 2014/7-1-2 in 2015 (although we quickly fell apart after that start)

But 2-5-1 last year, which is why, no matter how bad things feel right now, it is still way, way too early to panic......

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What happened to this stanley cup finalist team?
I don't think 2 games warrants any panic. But obviously, if Girard made the team, use him - that's the main changeup atm. Weber, 2Bit, Irwin - they are filler players for the bottom pair and limited minutes, and these are not the guys who can play in Ellis' spot. Maybe Girard can't either, but he's the next look. And frankly, I don't know if Emelin shouldn't get a look ahead of those guys too, if it comes to that. They haven't lost games purely because of the depth D getting exposed, but unfortunately that's maybe the only obvious recommendation for improvement.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

He likely wouldn't have fixed anything, since James Neal is not the kind of player you want to have to carry the load on his back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad