My Hart Trophy Winner Today is ...

My Hart Trophy Winner Today is ...

• Total voters

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
My Ranking

1. Kucherov: Will lead the league in points, has 51 point more than his second best teammate. Best scoring season by a winger in forever. Only winger to ever hit 90 assists.

2. Mcdavid: Going to join elite company of Orr, Lemieux and Gretzky as the only player to hit 100 assists. 2nd in points per game right now.

3. Mackinnon - Fantastic Season, great home point streak, 130+ points. Only guy of the top 4, who won't really have a history book finish.

4. Matthews: Best goal scoring season since Mario Lemieux, could break Ovi's best season ever, while be the most defensively responsible of the top group.
----------------
5. Pastrnak: Carrying Boston to an Atlantic division win. Has 41 more points than any of his teammates, likely gets 50 goals, 110 points

6. Hellebuyck: Going to win the Vezina and has been the reason for Winnipeg's success. Without him I doubt they are nearly as good.

7. Panarin: Similar to Pastrnak, just carrying the rangers to a Metro win. 40 more points than any teammate. Could hit 50 goals.

8. Crosby: He's essentially carrying the Penguins to a playoff birth. Good defensive season with likely 90+ points.
You realize McDavid isn't having a "history book" finish too right. 100 assists is amazing but he will be the 4th player, not the 1st. MacKinnon was a lot closer to breaking a gretzky record with his streak this year than McDavid was with assists.

Kuch/MacKinnon 1A/1B

McDavid/Matthews

the rest

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
You realize McDavid isn't having a "history book" finish too right. 100 assists is amazing but he will be the 4th player, not the 1st. MacKinnon was a lot closer to breaking a gretzky record with his streak this year than McDavid was with assists.

Kuch/MacKinnon 1A/1B

McDavid/Matthews

the rest
My opinion:
Mack 1A/ McD 1B/ Kuch 1C
Tier below
Matthews 2A/ Panarin 2B

MacKinnon’s streak is certainly impressive. Downplaying 100 assists is silly. (Again imo)
Kuch is playing unreal.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Pastrnak. Boston is basically the best team in the league and he's by far their most important player. Before the season started they were viewed as done, no first or second center, fringe playoffs. Pastrnak makes sure they're on top again.
You can make an argument without being out to lunch. There is a team that is agead if Boston in the standings and also swept them h2h this season. Pretty sure that destroys the “best team” argument.

I loved your work in the film industry though.

Attachments

• 20161558-F9FA-4C45-8206-8B5B8EBA4253.jpeg
    20161558-F9FA-4C45-8206-8B5B8EBA4253.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Except he is.

He's at 1.47 ppg (1.38 last year), has 53% more points than #2 on the team, 37% more goals than #2 and 50% more assists. Hes factored directly in 42% of the Bruins goals. And is carrying Charlie Coyle to massive career highs

For a guy who all we heard was "let's see him do it without Bergeron/Krejci"
42% is a tier below the top 3 guys who are all 47-50%

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I just can't get behind the idea of Matthews being in the the conversation for the Hart because of goals. There's already an award for that. How close did Pavel Bure ever get to winning the Hart?

He finished 3rd in 99-00, but he was also 2nd in points that year.

I don’t think there’s any case for Matthews being on the same level as the top 3, but I could see him being 4th given he’s a good defensive player and his production is probably more valuable than his point totals since the Leafs haven’t had much PP time and his primary points are really strong. I think he’s closer to Panarin and Pasta than the big 3 though in terms of the Hart race.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I know there are flashier seasons happening. But in terms of raw value to his team it's hard for me to think many other players are having more value to their team's success right now than Sidney Crosby.

He has put the entire collective weight of the Penguins organization on his shoulders this season and is almost single-handedly willing them to the playoffs. Looks like he's in his mid-20s out there again, taking over the ice almost every shift in all 3 zones.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
You can make an argument without being out to lunch. There is a team that is agead if Boston in the standings and also swept them h2h this season. Pretty sure that destroys the “best team” argument.

I loved your work in the film industry though.

Nothing wrong with that argument at the time it was made. Boston was tied for 1st in the NHL and Pastrnak was third in goals and scoring. He was carrying that team like crazy and was 25 points ahead of the second scorer on the team. I wouldn't vote for him today though.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I just can't get behind the idea of Matthews being in the the conversation for the Hart because of goals. There's already an award for that. How close did Pavel Bure ever get to winning the Hart?

I just can't get behind the idea of Kucherov being in the conversation for the Hart because of points. There's already an award for that.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I am sticking with MacKinnon. Besides Mackinnon and Rantanen, Colorado has had an awful looking forward group and mediocre goaltending for most of the season.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I just can't get behind the idea of Kucherov being in the conversation for the Hart because of points. There's already an award for that.

Honestly don't know what to make of this reply. You mock my reasoning with the actual stat that's the greatest predictor of Hart Trophy winners and then quote a tweet that further disparages the point you're sarcastically making which strengthens my own point.

It's like you're agreeing with me whilst also trying to make fun of me at the same time.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

Did you really quote this guy on twitter as a gotcha? This dude is a total clown, doesn't know anything about the sport

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The same guy who came out with this gem? Sure sounds like someone whose expert opinion on hockey we should all value

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Yep, because Kucherov is on the ice for tons of goals each way, mostly due to him cherrypicking, his points aren't as valuable as a guy like MacKinnon.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

Pretty sure the only places he is in the conversation are with Toronto fans and media.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yep, because Kucherov is on the ice for tons of goals each way, mostly due to him cherrypicking, his points aren't as valuable as a guy like MacKinnon.
But from a hart perspective, I'd say that the Avalanche are probably in the playoffs without MacKinnon while Tampa would be nowhere near without Kucherov.

And Kucherov has the best cf% on his team and top 3 xGF% so there's no need for this narrative.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Pretty sure the only places he is in the conversation are with Toronto fans and media.

nerd stats go brrr

anyways I'd give it to MacKinnon today. Kucherov is just too bad defensively and McDavid isn't scoring enough goals, Matthews doesn't have enough points. MacKinnon seems like the most balanced candidate overall.

Reactions: The Podium

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I haven’t checked it in a week or two, but Tampa has a 43% GF% 5v5 without Kuch and 51% with him. I don’t think his worse GF% is his doing

Reactions: BraveCanadian

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
There is no argument whatsoever for Matthews. Don't let Leafs homers tell you otherwise. Exactly as you said: "there's already an award for that." Let's not get into the whole 1 goal = 1.x assists that some fools try to argue.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I haven’t checked it in a week or two, but Tampa has a 43% GF% 5v5 without Kuch and 51% with him. I don’t think his worse GF% is his doing
He's playing with Point, Hedman, and Vasilevski most of his ice time. I'm not sure how Conor Sheary being bad has anything to do with Kucherov's situation.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I don't think he should win but this logic doesn't work when the Art Ross trophy exists.

There is no argument whatsoever for Matthews. Don't let Leafs homers tell you otherwise. Exactly as you said: "there's already an award for that." Let's not get into the whole 1 goal = 1.x assists that some fools try to argue.
Matthews is not going to win but Kucherov is likely going to be a finalist strictly because of point totals when there is already an award for most points in a season. Centers with Matthews goal scoring, still elite point production aside and strong two way play are unicorns. Apply your standards consistently or don't have them at all.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad