OT: Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladTheLimpWhaler

Dec 4, 2015
Edmonton, AB
dayum I just got tickets for Rakim playing his entire Paid in Full album at BB Kings in July

also later that week is the Brooklyn Hip Hop festival headlined by Nas and Talib Kweli

this summer is shaping up nicely

Wow, congrats! Should be a great show. If they sell any vinyl records at the show, make sure to pick one up! Erik B and Rakim records are impossible to find.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Any Mac Miller fans here?

The Divine Feminine is out, and imo is ome of the top 5 hip hop albums of 2016

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Would be remiss not to mention Leonard Cohen's passing in his sleep on November 7th, further to a fall.

I can't help but appreciate his signature song, Hallelujah, which has been reprised by many artists, including at several singing competitions.

One of my favorite versions is Jeff Buckley's, who sadly, also passed away in drowning incident a few years ago:

Alexandra Burke won Britain's 2008 X-Factor with a high-powered version of the song in 2008:

A great Canadian songwriter has gifted a song for the ages.

RIP Leonard Cohen.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Saw Temples on Carson Daly's show last week and liked what I heard:

I read somewhere that Temples is a good example of the psychedelia style, that harkens back to Jimi Hendrix circa 1967 and how it's now a global trend. I don't really care for trends, I have to like the music first and what I do like, is how they can write melody, which has become a lost art.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
any fans of The Dead South? They are from Regina, just found them on youtube the other day, unique sound and look for sure. Can't stop listening to "In Hell I'll be in Good Company".

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
any fans of The Dead South? They are from Regina, just found them on youtube the other day, unique sound and look for sure. Can't stop listening to "In Hell I'll be in Good Company".

Not the type of music I listen to ordinarily, but have to admit the track is addictive. Thanks for suggesting it.

What kind of style would you say this is?

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not the type of music I listen to ordinarily, but have to admit the track is addictive. Thanks for suggesting it.

What kind of style would you say this is?

not sure, maybe bluegrass? I kind of like their cover of house of a rising sun as well. it's a bit different as they start slow but then speed it up.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Watched the Juno Awards last evening, as I've done over so many years. This year's venue provided a great backdrop, despite real bad sound lag from those who were giving accolades to Sandra McLaughlin on account of her induction in the Canadian Hall of Fame.

There was no major controversy, as has been the case for most Juno awards as all the presenters showed a lot of class and anyone who hit the stage was dressed conservatively. Although main presenter Russell Peters did go off script near the end of the show and landed some pretty pointed zingers that drew a crowd reaction, adding that he'd probably not get invited to host the show again next year. Got to give props to Peters, he generally owned the stage with his easy, amiable demeanor.

Sarah McLaughlin's acceptance speech would make any Canadian proud. Not to mention how everyone who had the mike at any time, made polite, kind references, as most Canadians would.

Prime Minister Trudeau was in the audience and he even took the stage to honor Leonard Cohen's memory.

It wasn't a big production show and it never is as it pales in comparison to similar US shows. However, what it lacked in budget it made up for in spades, in terms of those values Canadians cherish. Vying for something greater than oneself, paying it forward, humility and yes, a lot of polite speeches.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Watched the Juno Awards last evening, as I've done over so many years. This year's venue provided a great backdrop, despite real bad sound lag from those who were giving accolades to Sandra McLaughlin on account of her induction in the Canadian Hall of Fame.

There was no major controversy, as has been the case for most Juno awards as all the presenters showed a lot of class and anyone who hit the stage was dressed conservatively. Although main presenter Russell Peters did go off script near the end of the show and landed some pretty pointed zingers that drew a crowd reaction, adding that he'd probably not get invited to host the show again next year. Got to give props to Peters, he generally owned the stage with his easy, amiable demeanor.

Sarah McLaughlin's acceptance speech would make any Canadian proud. Not to mention how everyone who had the mike at any time, made polite, kind references, as most Canadians would.

Prime Minister Trudeau was in the audience and he even took the stage to honor Leonard Cohen's memory.

It wasn't a big production show and it never is as it pales in comparison to similar US shows. However, what it lacked in budget it made up for in spades, in terms of those values Canadians cherish. Vying for something greater than oneself, paying it forward, humility and yes, a lot of polite speeches.

Well that first joke Peters said is drawing some pretty negative comments: The one about the young girls....

Cutting off the Tragically Hip acceptance speaches was a bit stupid. Other than that, it was fairly good. I enjoyed the Arkells and the Strumbellas sets.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well that first joke Peters said is drawing some pretty negative comments: The one about the young girls....

Forgot about that.

"A felony waiting to happen". Ouch.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I was hoping this thread was bumped because someone was raving about seeing Sleaford Mods in Toronto this past Saturday.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Well I'm going to the John K. Samson show tomorrow night (in Ottawa). He's by far my favourite lyricist. For those who don't know him, he was the bass player during the first two Propagandhi albums and was the main guy in the Weakerthans.

Should be an amazing show. He's playing Montreal tonight, and strongly recommend going to that show.

He usually pulls out a couple of Propagandhi songs during the set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad