OT: Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
To whoever is saying Atari Teenage Riot is good...Ahahahahahah!

Anyone can make that kind of music in their basement. It's total crap, bunch of noise. LA rush hour in the middle on road construction is more soothing to my hears and I'm someone who listen to music like Minor Threat.

its just you bruh, ATR is good. and yeah, minor threat too :D

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
to the thread in general

you ignored my recommendation and you did not go to the Melvins - you lost out

and now because of that Axl Rose is in ACDC i hope youre happy

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
Was at the Dream Theatre concert last evening and now I know why everyone was trying to ditch their tickets.

They played their new album only, which is a smorgasbord of bland and forgettable cuts for the most part, punctuated by some John Petrucci signature shreds. Lots of slow songs that strangely sounded like Disney music, with the same type of inflections that have been played since forever. They even had a piece that was tango-like.

The first half was a snooze fest, very few salvageable moments, too much in the way of soft music and little melodic appeal. The 2nd half featured heavier music, more reminiscent of what DT does best. However, even this was sub-par, it lacked an identity.

The singer's voice sounded muffled, couldn't make out what he was saying. He embarassed himself several times when he called to the audience to sing along with him -- problem was, no one knew the lyrics and they didn't put them up on a screen either. He was acting as if the songs he was singing had won over an audience. Good luck with that.

Best sounding instruments were Petrucci's guitar and the keyboard, which was totally moveable on a 360 axis, plus had the ability to tilt, which was odd but interesting. Don't know how they didn't have the singer sound at least as good as the instruments. New drummer was technical but not that creative, seemed to use the same fills repeatedly, plus his drum set sounded like tin cans, there was no depth to his sound. Just like on the double album they played.

This was my last DT concert, I'm moving on. Reminds me of when ELP had put out several atrocious albums on account of their record company pressuring them to release material, any material, to cash in on their then raging following. Here, DT ended up with a similar short effort, but for other reasons -- they were trying very hard to push a story that simply bears no interest. The songs are about characters that seem borrowed from Game of Thrones and several of the gizmos that appeared on the screens at the back of the stage, looked like they came from the tv show Agents of Shield.

I don't think I ever so a stage so uncluttered which was cool. Lots of space for the performers to roam about, very clean lines of sight. However, no big screens, from the middle of the reds where we were, we basically spent the night watching small figurines. The screens behind the band were never utilized to show the band, it was all about the characters and storyline that their album was supposed to evoke, which I'm still not sure what it was about other than appearing to steal concepts from tv shows.

Clearly, the band is looking to branch out into storytelling, cinematic productions, maybe trying to attract a tv exec to take on their story or characters or have their music used as a show track somewhere.

And finally the light show -- it was repetitive and there were very little effects. A limited number of spots, you could count them. It didn't work. I remember Kiss doing more spectacular stuff years ago, with a technology that wasn't even close to what they have now.

Glad I went. Now I can move on to something else, knowing I'm leaving nothing behind.

ive seen DT 6 times

All downhill since Train of Thought. That album, for me, was their best.

Although I did like DTOE.

I gave up on this album as soon as i heard the single. I was suppose to go to this show with ppl but bailed. I knew it was gonna be a mess.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Multiple reports now surfacing about Prince having passed away at age 57.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What an awful year. Prince, Bowie, Glen Frey, Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane), Emerson ...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
he gave literally 3 days notice and i still heard about it in time fro 690

damn now i wish i had gone probably one of his last series of shows tickets were about 200 bucks tho

I wasn't a fan even though I was always aware of what he was doing. I always admired his on-stage ability and how much work he put himself through and that incredible talent, playing so many instruments, doing it all.

I would have made an attempt to go, until I heard it was going to be an accoustic-type show.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
And today, Billy Paul, the soul and jazz singer who had a major hit in the 70s with "Me and Mrs. Jones", a song that has found its way into several movies and nostalgia retrospectives, passes away at 81.

At least he didn't go too early like many of the others. Still, that was one signature song, it'll be played forever. RIP.

Now we need some feelgood news from the music world. We can't afford to miss upcoming concerts from talented acts. What do we have to look forward to?

What events are you planning to attend over the next few months?

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
And today, Billy Paul, the soul and jazz singer who had a major hit in the 70s with "Me and Mrs. Jones", a song that has found its way into several movies and nostalgia retrospectives, passes away at 81.

At least he didn't go too early like many of the others. Still, that was one signature song, it'll be played forever. RIP.

Now we need some feelgood news from the music world. We can't afford to miss upcoming concerts from talented acts. What do we have to look forward to?

What events are you planning to attend over the next few months?

Also well known in Quebec because of this :laugh:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Melvins are playing tomorrow night with Napalm Death and Melt Banana at Club Soda

Anybody go to the show? Melvins are on my live band wish list but I moved recently so couldn't make it back. Wondering how it was.

Sunn O))) are playing in June, would love to see them again but I may miss for the same reason.

didimentionlarseller

Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Anybody go to the show? Melvins are on my live band wish list but I moved recently so couldn't make it back. Wondering how it was.

Sunn O))) are playing in June, would love to see them again but I may miss for the same reason.

it was reallly good

the crowd was mainly there for Melvins but they were middle band , they came out and just rocked hard for a straight hour maybe hour + a bit non-stop - zero talking between songs

they did a best of from last bunch of albums , they were a band i wanted to see since mid 90's since Houdini came out so I was really really impressed with how much energy they brought and how tight they were live almost 20 years later - napalm death was like an afterthought

Buzzo is a machine

didimentionlarseller

Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
if anyone here travels to shows I just got tickets for Method Man and Redman on May 21 in Poughkeepsie - it's only 5 hours or something from Montreal hehe

also big news this summer so far is Ghostface Killer at NXNE in Toronto

the Method Man show might be show of year even over Mobb Deep couple weeks ago and Ghostface later this summer sidenote Earl Sweatshirt is playing in Ottawa soon too

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
it was reallly good

the crowd was mainly there for Melvins but they were middle band , they came out and just rocked hard for a straight hour maybe hour + a bit non-stop - zero talking between songs

they did a best of from last bunch of albums , they were a band i wanted to see since mid 90's since Houdini came out so I was really really impressed with how much energy they brought and how tight they were live almost 20 years later - napalm death was like an afterthought

Buzzo is a machine

That's cool, glad they delivered. Yeah after so many years they must have their live shows down to a tee. I haven't been following them for the last few albums so that might have been a bit of a bummer.

How were Melt-Banana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad