Spielbergs – This Is Not The End
Tio Rico – Shit Show Pony
Trampoline Team – Trampoline Team
Warp Lines – Human Fresh
Wild Side – Who The Hell Is Wild Side?

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Apology if I posted this before. Although not my favorite Pretenders song, this version showcases Chrissie's voice more than any song I've heard. That vocal build up from 2:47 to 2:53 kills me every time.

Great band. Music that can change you're life. IMO
"I'll Stand By You " is one of the greatest songs ever written. So much meaning and spiritually healing.

Reactions: stranger34

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Neil peart....wow....where did that come from?

A true legend. Im honored to have seen 1 of his drum solos live. Truly amazing.
Peart was pretty young - that's sad news.

There's a whole cohort of musicians older than him that are very close in age. We're going to see a 5 or 10 year period where there's like a rock legend a month shuffling off this mortal coil.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011

There's a whole cohort of musicians older than him that are very close in age. We're going to see a 5 or 10 year period where there's like a rock legend a month shuffling off this mortal coil.

Yeah, I need to go to more concerts while I can. No more chance of Rush shows...Allmans shows...Petty shows.........

Reactions: doublechili

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Rush was a Toronto band, so I knew them well. Watching the documentary Rush: Time Stand Still now. I'll put on a concert video later.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I saw Dinosaur Jr. at the SUNY Binghamton Student Center back in the day, in the middle of a blizzard. They were the loudest band I've ever heard. They played Sludgefeast and it was so suffocatingly loud that I thought the sound was going to gain sentience. My ears rang for a solid week.
Oddly enough, the loudest band I ever heard was the GOGOS early in their career. I couldn't hear well for three days.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
We've had a lot of losses in the rock world, but when I think about what was coming out of my speakers in teens and early 20's, Ronnie James Dio, Malcolm Young and Neil Peart hit me the hardest.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Oddly enough, the loudest band I ever heard was the GOGOS early in their career. I couldn't hear well for three days.

giphy.gif

Reactions: TMI and SteveH124

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

So true.

Daryl Dragon of Captain and Tennille just passed away.

Too soon Daryl. Too soon.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Yeah, I need to go to more concerts while I can. No more chance of Rush shows...Allmans shows...Petty shows.........
There's actually an Allmans 50th anniversary reunion concert at MSG in March. However, Dickie declined so the only original member will be Jaimoe. Most of the participants have had a long-time affiliation with the band though. And Reese Wynans (along with Chuck Leavell) will be on keyboards, and he actually played keyboards in the band way back when (pre-Allmans) but was replaced when Gregg Allman joined up. But yeah, there definitely should be an asterisk next to the band name at some point.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
There's actually an Allmans 50th anniversary reunion concert at MSG in March. However, Dickie declined so the only original member will be Jaimoe. Most of the participants have had a long-time affiliation with the band though. And Reese Wynans (along with Chuck Leavell) will be on keyboards, and he actually played keyboards in the band way back when (pre-Allmans) but was replaced when Gregg Allman joined up. But yeah, there definitely should be an asterisk next to the band name at some point.

I always hoped for a Dickie reunion but Butch Trucks was always against it. My favorite era was around 90 when Dickie and Warren Haynes were together, starting with Seven Turns. I saw a lot of great Allman shows around then, but there were some stinkers too. I fell asleep at one and I was stone cold sober.

Dickie brought the southern rock feel and Derek more the blues.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I always hoped for a Dickie reunion but Butch Trucks was always against it. My favorite era was around 90 when Dickie and Warren Haynes were together, starting with Seven Turns. I saw a lot of great Allman shows around then, but there were some stinkers too. I fell asleep at one and I was stone cold sober.

Dickie brought the southern rock feel and Derek more the blues.
Someone on a music list that I'm on shared a story about hanging with the Allman Bros backstage at Jones Beach after Dickey was kicked out - I think they were working on some project together. When he finally had some alone time with Butch, he asked the question "So Butch, what happened with Dicky?" Butch said to him "Kid....there's only so many times you can come back to your hotel room and find a 16 year old girl tied to the bed with cigarette burns all over her."

He was a real liability - not just his drinking apparently.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Someone on a music list that I'm on shared a story about hanging with the Allman Bros backstage at Jones Beach after Dickey was kicked out - I think they were working on some project together. When he finally had some alone time with Butch, he asked the question "So Butch, what happened with Dicky?" Butch said to him "Kid....there's only so many times you can come back to your hotel room and find a 16 year old girl tied to the bed with cigarette burns all over her."

Yikes. Jeeze that is crazy.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Having just watched six episodes of Mind Hunters last night, I now have this image burned in my head. :shakehead

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I'm not even really a Rush fan, but Peart was the best rock drummer of his generation. Like John Bonham before him.

For those of us who are middle age, I think our musical heroes from growing up are just past their prime. When any band is near the beginning of their career and on the upswing that is almost always the best time in their careers (and the best to see them live). Think of any musical act in the history of music...I can't even think of one that released their best work in the 2nd half of their careers.

Reckless abandon and not being beholden to money is what usually creates better art, and once a band has "made it," it's very hard to fake that (and certainly less appealing when wrinkles set in).

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
So far? Yes.

(And it pains me to say this. Aside from the hits..its almost unlistenable...)
Sounds like the Everclear show I went to at the Paramount a couple summers ago. The place was like 30% full and the performance was wack. Some things should've just stayed in the 90s I guess.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Wings fan here...the NYI were my childhood team (grew up on the Island) early 70's-'86 & the Islanders will always be my #2. I love the idea for this thread!

Top 10 Favorite bands:
Beatles, Rolling Stones (63-83), Led Zeppelin, The Who, YES (69-80), The Doors, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Rush (74-85), Van Halen (DLR era), Nirvana, Muse.

others in no particular order:
Bob Marley, Clapton/Cream/Derek & the Dominoes, Guns N Roses, David Bowie (69-early/mid 80's), Peter Gabriel (70's & 80's), King Crimson(73-75), Aerosmith, Beach Boys, Boston, Eagles, Cake, Genesis (PC era & Lamb Lies Down on Broadway), NIN, Van Morrison, U2, CCR, The Kinks, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Rage Against the Machine, etc...+ too many to list, i.e. greatest hits.

any Classical & some Motown!

Best current band (still in their prime, i.e. not 80yr Rolling Stones) : Muse

Trottier & Tonelli (my Mom taught Tonelli's kid(s))
upload_2020-1-16_20-11-24.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad