OT: Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
For those of us who are middle age, I think our musical heroes from growing up are just past their prime. When any band is near the beginning of their career and on the upswing that is almost always the best time in their careers (and the best to see them live). Think of any musical act in the history of music...I can't even think of one that released their best work in the 2nd half of their careers.

Reckless abandon and not being beholden to money is what usually creates better art, and once a band has "made it," it's very hard to fake that (and certainly less appealing when wrinkles set in).

I would agree with this to an extent. However, i think a lot of great music has been made by artists that are considered "past their prime" that is largely ignored because the artist doesn't make the same type of music they did when they were younger. For a lot of people, if an artists moves past the sound of their first few releases, they're largely considered over the hill and it's simply not always the case.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Just saw that winwood is opening for Steely Dan at the beach this July and I decided I'm going.

Is this cool? Or mockable?

Trying to figure out what is acceptable in musical taste for the 19- 60 year old white North American hockey fan nowadays.

#effbailey

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I would agree with this to an extent. However, i think a lot of great music has been made by artists that are considered "past their prime" that is largely ignored because the artist doesn't make the same type of music they did when they were younger. For a lot of people, if an artists moves past the sound of their first few releases, they're largely considered over the hill and it's simply not always the case.

So then what are a few examples of that? My point was that regardless of style that most any artist does their best work in the 1st half of their careers. I don't care if they change their sound/style later on - I just want it to be good.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
So then what are a few examples of that? My point was that regardless of style that most any artist does their best work in the 1st half of their careers. I don't care if they change their sound/style later on - I just want it to be good.

I understood your point, and even agreed. All I said was that it's not 100% the case and despite diminishing returns over time, some artists are still capable of greatness late in their careers. Will it compare to their earlier efforts? Probably not. But taken on their own, they can still be considered great efforts.

As for examples, here are a few off the top of my head:

Petty released some great albums in the 90s after a decline in quality as the 80s wore on. I'd even argue that an album like Wildflowers is the best thing he's ever done.

McCartney has a few albums since 2000 that have been great.

Soundgarden's "King Animal".

Black Sabbath's "13" was the best release under that band name since Dio was in the band.

Van Halen's "A Different Kind Of Truth" was pretty goddamn great as well. I will grant that some of the tracks were old unused ideas re-worked, but this happens far more frequently than most listeners are even aware of.

Dylan's "Time Out Of Mind" and "Love And Theft".

This is all pretty mainstream stuff, but there are examples of this on lower tiers of popularity as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: periferal

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
My kids ('kids'? they turned 34 yesterday) are out on their first 'tour' - gigs in Peterborough, Kingston, Ottawa, and Montreal.

Sax and bass in 'Starship Experience'.

Reactions: Strummergas

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Went record shopping today. For some reason, there was a lot of '77 type stuff at this place that I rarely frequent.

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden (US version with Sanctuary)
Down By Law - All Scratched Up
Eater - The Album
Snivelling Shits - I Can't Come (picture disc)
Bullet LaVolta - Bullet LaVolta EP
Timeshares - Bearable
Nervosas - Nervosas
Vibrators - Pure Mania
X Ray Spex - Germfree Adolescents

Went to a buddy's stall in town as well and he had some stuff saved for me:
Raein - Il N'y A Pas De Orchestre
Discharge - Why?
Brainworms - II Swear To Me
Knife Fight - Crisis
Jotnarr - Jotnaar
Jiyuna - This Desolate Veil

Got chills when I slid the Raein LP out of the sleeve. Tigersuit is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Reactions: sabremike

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Nice haul! I've been mostly a good boy in regards to buying music the last few months. I have a huge backlog that I'm working through, although I did manage to pickup Sylvain Sylvain's debut solo album on the cheap and an album by Seattle powerpop band The Heats for not that cheap. Trying to save my funds for the big record fair in April and of course a few select Record Store Day titles.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Trying to save my funds for the big record fair in April and of course a few select Record Store Day titles.

What are you looking at for Record Store Day? It always leaves me a bit underwhelmed, but then I think my tastes are a little arcane, but then I think that record buyers tend to have arcane tastes. I mean, are people really buying Destiny's Child records? Or Britney Spears remixes? Or live TOTO records?

I was looking at:

Boys Next Door - Door, Door
Meat Puppets - Meat Puppets 10"

Might look at the Team Dresch comp, Refused radio sessions, and the June of 44 reissues. I have Wipers - Is This Real? and don't really see the difference from the RSD version. I love Bitches Brew, but I don't know about 2 LPs worth of demos for it.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
What are you looking at for Record Store Day? It always leaves me a bit underwhelmed, but then I think my tastes are a little arcane, but then I think that record buyers tend to have arcane tastes. I mean, are people really buying Destiny's Child records? Or Britney Spears remixes? Or live TOTO records?

I was looking at:

Boys Next Door - Door, Door
Meat Puppets - Meat Puppets 10"

Might look at the Team Dresch comp, Refused radio sessions, and the June of 44 reissues. I have Wipers - Is This Real? and don't really see the difference from the RSD version. I love Bitches Brew, but I don't know about 2 LPs worth of demos for it.

RSD has always had it's share of boring releases, but it does seem like the amount of them has been increasing year to year. Last year I was pretty underwhelmed, but there's a few must-haves this year along with some others that I don't necessarily have to buy immediately if I want them.

First and foremost on my list is Spacehog's Resident Alien. I've been hoping for a vinyl issue of this for years! One of my favorite 90s records and bands. Only 1350 copies, so it might be tough to come by.

After that, The Who at Monterrey, The GBV reissues (even though I have original pressings. I'm a maniac GBV completist), and the Sun Records comp, which shouldn't be difficult to acquire at a later date as they press up a lot of them.

Those are the "musts". After that it's The Who - Odds & Sods, Lou Reed and John Cale, The Yardbirds, Ramones and some of the obscure psych reissues and jazz titles, but I'm not jumping through hoops for those. I'd much rather blow my dough at the record fair the following weekend. And with some of those titles, you can probably get them at a discount if you wait 6 months to a year to buy them.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Went record shopping today. For some reason, there was a lot of '77 type stuff at this place that I rarely frequent.

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden (US version with Sanctuary)
Down By Law - All Scratched Up
Eater - The Album
Snivelling Shits - I Can't Come (picture disc)
Bullet LaVolta - Bullet LaVolta EP
Timeshares - Bearable
Nervosas - Nervosas
Vibrators - Pure Mania
X Ray Spex - Germfree Adolescents

Went to a buddy's stall in town as well and he had some stuff saved for me:
Raein - Il N'y A Pas De Orchestre
Discharge - Why?
Brainworms - II Swear To Me
Knife Fight - Crisis
Jotnarr - Jotnaar
Jiyuna - This Desolate Veil

Got chills when I slid the Raein LP out of the sleeve. Tigersuit is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Iron maiden by iron maiden on vinyl? Sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad