Proposal: MTL - WPG

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
LOL how to have the Habs sit in the basement for the next decade!

Which the Jets have yet to find and continue to try. People say it's so easy to find elite goalies yet their are a number of teams that keep trying and fail at it. Calgary, Dallas, Jets, etc.
id rather have an exciting team that can score while looking fora goalie instead of a boring team of midgets who only get by cause of their goalie and cant do anything cause of his salary.. i hate what the gm has done to montreal they were so fun to watch few years back

Reactions: Legend123

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
It's funny how Price is Montreal's only chance to be in the playoffs by himself yet the worst contract in the league... it seems like people here like to bash on the habs and I understand (we have a lot of fans and lots of them are terribly biased). But it's ridiculous to say this is the worst contract in the league. It's certainly not the best and I wasn't really happy as a habs fan but if he were realistically available he would be worth good assets.

The problem here is that any team that is good enough already that 1 goalie will put them over the top certainly has no room to take on that hot mess of a contract.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
The problem here is that any team that is good enough already that 1 goalie will put them over the top certainly has no room to take on that hot mess of a contract.

Not true. If they get rid of Byfuglien the Jets easily can.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not true. If they get rid of Byfuglien the Jets easily can.

Right, trade the only RHD we have signed long term and our #2 guy leaving us at a huge risk/problem on D.

Pass

Zero interest in Price and that terrible contract

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Right, trade the only RHD we have signed long term and our #2 guy leaving us at a huge risk/problem on D.

Pass

Zero interest in Price and that terrible contract

Hmm. I disagree. I firmly believe that goaltending is what have prevented the Jets from making it to the playoffs the last two years and I would think that getting Price would be a great opportunity not only to make the playoffs but have a legitimate chance at winning the cup.

But forget about Byfuglien if you're adamant about not moving him. All I really care about is making sure the transaction makes sense cap wise. So how about:

Price for Mason, Perreault + 1st rounder 2018 and 1st in 2019 or 2020 (at Winnipeg's discretion)

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Hmm. I disagree. I firmly believe that goaltending is what have prevented the Jets from making it to the playoffs the last two years and I would think that getting Price would be a great opportunity not only to make the playoffs but have a legitimate chance at winning the cup.

But forget about Byfuglien if you're adamant about not moving him. All I really care about is making sure the transaction makes sense cap wise. So how about:

Price for Mason, Perreault + 1st rounder 2018 and 1st in 2019 or 2020 (at Winnipeg's discretion)

Price at 50 percent?

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Price at 50 percent?

Nope. At this point you're already getting a superstar goalie without even remotely touching the core of your team. Perreault would come off the hook for another three years after this year and you wouldn't have to replace Mason's salary after next year. If you're adding a 2nd or 3rd rounder, I can even ship you Plekanec who's contract expires at the end of this year and can still be serviceable in a 3c/4c defensive role. That would add some depth/security at center for Perreault's departure.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Rebuilding two years ago and goaltender kept us out of the playoffs. Last year 2nd most man games lost (handful of games only entire last year we had our top 4 in the lineup at the same time, I think it was 4 games which is crazy stat) and goaltending.

1st off Ill say most Habs fan overrate Price a bit, he's a very good goalie but he's sure not the undisputed best goalie in the NHL anymore. Add to this the horrible contract he has for like 7-8 years is terribad. But Mason, 1st and MP is at least in the more "reasonable" range of an asking price. There is absolutely no way we give one of our elite talented forwards or top D....no chance and if that's the asks no price then just end the thread. But Mason, 1st and MP would likely get Chevy really thinking about it. That being said no reason to believe Price would waive to come to the Jets and I'm not sure about the cap and he would fit with Laine, Ehlers, Trouba, Little, etc all getting raises....most of them getting massive raises. Price likely has 4-5 good years left and then it becomes shaky/risky after that even for goalies.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Price for Byfuglien (if he lift his nmc) and 1st rounder 2018 and 1st in 2019 or 2020 (@winnipeg's discretion).

The only thing stopping me from saying yes to this is the two first rounders. Price has an albatross contract for sure but I do see that he may be a missing link to getting us over the top. Just way too much salary coming our way & 2 firsts is the killer.

I'd do something like Buff + Mason (you'll need a tender anyway) + 1st. Petan or Dano are options as well, but no room for them in the existing deal.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Rebuilding two years ago and goaltender kept us out of the playoffs. Last year 2nd most man games lost (handful of games only entire last year we had our top 4 in the lineup at the same time, I think it was 4 games which is crazy stat) and goaltending.

1st off Ill say most Habs fan overrate Price a bit, he's a very good goalie but he's sure not the undisputed best goalie in the NHL anymore. Add to this the horrible contract he has for like 7-8 years is terribad. But Mason, 1st and MP is at least in the more "reasonable" range of an asking price. There is absolutely no way we give one of our elite talented forwards or top D....no chance and if that's the asks no price then just end the thread. But Mason, 1st and MP would likely get Chevy really thinking about it. That being said no reason to believe Price would waive to come to the Jets and I'm not sure about the cap and he would fit with Laine, Ehlers, Trouba, Little, etc all getting raises....most of them getting massive raises. Price likely has 4-5 good years left and then it becomes shaky/risky after that even for goalies.

For sure there is a risk in every trade. The reason I suggested Byfuglien earlier is that he is an example of a bad contract imo so getting him off your hand was what triggered the proposal. But 100% agree that no team in their right mind would trade a premium young player like Laine in a deal for a veteran. With the salary cap, these deals pretty much never happen anymore.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
The only thing stopping me from saying yes to this is the two first rounders. Price has an albatross contract for sure but I do see that he may be a missing link to getting us over the top. Just way too much salary coming our way & 2 firsts is the killer.

I'd do something like Buff + Mason (you'll need a tender anyway) + 1st. Petan or Dano are options as well, but no room for them in the existing deal.

Mason can be included for cap purposes, no problem. I don't have much interest in Petan or Dano though. They can become good players but I want to swing for the fence so a 1st round pick holds more value to me.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Mason can be included for cap purposes, no problem. I don't have much interest in Petan or Dano though. They can become good players but I want to swing for the fence so a 1st round pick holds more value to me.

Well it would take both Price & Buff waiving NMCs, but if we could make it work longterm $-wise, I'd do it.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
For sure there is a risk in every trade. The reason I suggested Byfuglien earlier is that he is an example of a bad contract imo so getting him off your hand was what triggered the proposal. But 100% agree that no team in their right mind would trade a premium young player like Laine in a deal for a veteran. With the salary cap, these deals pretty much never happen anymore.

Any trade for a goalie would require Mason going the other way. He's an average goalie, but we can't afford Mason & Price as an example. I will say some Jets fans have tired of buffs high risk high reward style. We have not really missed him much the last two games. But before Buff or Myers could ever be traded Trouba needs to be signed long term, otherwise it's too risky and a non starter tbh. Only exception to this is the unlikely event of trading a Myers or Buff for any other top 4 D signed with term.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Any trade for a goalie would require Mason going the other way. He's an average goalie, but we can't afford Mason & Price as an example. I will say some Jets fans have tired of buffs high risk high reward style. We have not really missed him much the last two games. But before Buff or Myers could ever be traded Trouba needs to be signed long term, otherwise it's too risky and a non starter tbh. Only exception to this is the unlikely event of trading a Myers or Buff for any other top 4 D signed with term.

There could be a way to include Petry in the deal in exchange of a 2nd rounder of your choice (2018 or 2019)

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Yep, too many fans have tired of Buff's riverboat gambler style of play. Far too much of our cap is devoted to defense and frankly, we're not that good at D. I see Buff as a major headache that someone else can deal with. It will free us to give Trouba what it takes to sign him AND I see a lot of potential in our young D now that Poolman is showing he has what it takes and Niku is doing the same on the Moose. I see no solution to our problems other than trading Buff, so I'm willing to take a gamble on a really good but really overpaid goalie. Not sure where that would leave us with Helleybuyck, but Price will remain world class for a few years & perhaps through this contract.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
There could be a way to include Petry in the deal in exchange of a 2nd rounder of your choice (2018 or 2019)

Price & Petry for Mason & Buff might work. Minor (compared to the main pieces) plus' s to be added to work it out. Petry gives us some insurance in case Myers health gives out or Trouba won't sign long term.

No matter how the deal is constructed for Price, we need to send Mason and one more big contract back (not an elite forward) and the only one we have tbh is Buff. I would be ok with this type of trade. Price & Buff have no moves that might be an issue, not sure when they kick in.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Nope. At this point you're already getting a superstar goalie without even remotely touching the core of your team. Perreault would come off the hook for another three years after this year and you wouldn't have to replace Mason's salary after next year. If you're adding a 2nd or 3rd rounder, I can even ship you Plekanec who's contract expires at the end of this year and can still be serviceable in a 3c/4c defensive role. That would add some depth/security at center for Perreault's departure.

Then remove the 1sts and add buff and mason cuz prices Cap hit dont work

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Then remove the 1sts and add buff and mason cuz prices Cap hit dont work

Oh, it does! For this year and for next year for sure. Then for the next two years all you need is find an extra 3M of cap space. All you have to do is get rid of Perreault in two years (or before if Petan can take his place) and then you'd be all set.

A team has to recognize their window of opportunity and go for it... Winnipeg have young, cost-controlled players that can lead them to the promise land but they won't get there with an average goalie.

Reactions: Hunter368

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Going to take a lot more than that to get Price to Winnipeg, a lot more. Winnipeg wants Price they better be giving up Schiefele.

Actually, it's the opposite. If I am Winnipeg I am not giving up Ehlers for Price at 10.5 per starting next season (31 y/o to 39 y/o)

I am offering Little and Byfuglien for Price and Danault/Mete

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Actually, it's the opposite. If I am Winnipeg I am not giving up Ehlers for Price at 10.5 per starting next season (31 y/o to 39 y/o)

I am offering Little and Byfuglien for Price and Danault/Mete

Can't give up Little, that would be a deal breaker. Without Little then Lowry is our 2C.....which is brutal considering Lowry is really a 4C albeit a very good one.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
What a stupid GM MB is.

Making his best players untradable, or trade them for older, slower, less fit to new NHL players.

And guest what, if he's still in place (wich I doubt), he will sign MaxPac for 9 mil/8 years to redeem himself for screwing up the guy on his last contract.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Can't give up Little, that would be a deal breaker. Without Little then Lowry is our 2C.....which is brutal considering Lowry is really a 4C albeit a very good one.

That's why I included Danault, which would be the Jets 2nd line Center. That's not ideal but Perreault could be the 2nd line Center too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad