Proposal: MTL - WPG

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
what if they retain 3M per year? So u acquire the best goalie at just 7.5M. Ehlers makes 6M, contract wise it works out.
Would you mind taking a no as an answer? We are not trading Ehlers - hell, we just extended him for the next eternity, and the Habs are just as interested in dealing Price, who was also extended this summer.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Would you mind taking a no as an answer? We are not trading Ehlers - hell, we just extended him for the next eternity, and the Habs are just as interested in dealing Price, who was also extended this summer.

I didnt repond to u. I responded to the guy who said he would love Price in WPG. I understand why Ehlers is untradeable, hes a monster, and if I were a Jets fan I would hold on to him forever. But As a Habs fan who knows our only chance of a winning a cup is thru a rebuild, Ehlers could do wonders.

And its not like WPG doesnt desperately need a true #1G. You guys keep saying we need to win now, but as it seems, its always the goalie issues.

Reactions: 204hockey

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I didnt repond to u. I responded to the guy who said he would love Price in WPG. I understand why Ehlers is untradeable, hes a monster, and if I were a Jets fan I would hold on to him forever. But As a Habs fan who knows our only chance of a winning a cup is thru a rebuild, Ehlers could do wonders.

And its not like WPG doesnt desperately need a true #1G. You guys keep saying we need to win now, but as it seems, its always the goalie issues.

Need a coach who can have a decent D-game. Remember DD, everyone said he was done until he finally could play behind a team who knows what defence is. I always thought Devan D was a good goalie, just that Oilers didnt defend. Same thing here, a decent goalie and a good solid structure.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
what if they retain 3M per year? So u acquire the best goalie at just 7.5M. Ehlers makes 6M, contract wise it works out.

It would be very inciting. I think we would be a better team with Price instead of Ehlers but there's 2 trains of thought I have on it...thinking with my heart and my head:

Heart) Never want to see Ehlers in another teams jersey. Kids a legit stud and drives the play better than anyone else on the team

Head) Ehlers will be entering or in his price for all of his next contract. Price has some very elite years left but his contract could turn into a nightmare if his play drops off in his later years

I mean it will never happen so there's not reason to even think about it this hard but I am on the fence.

Reactions: Legend123

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
montreal would need to agree to holding onto at least 25% of salary for the conversation to even start

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
LOL how to have the Habs sit in the basement for the next decade!

Which the Jets have yet to find and continue to try. People say it's so easy to find elite goalies yet their are a number of teams that keep trying and fail at it. Calgary, Dallas, Jets, etc.

Maybe not such a bad idea to collect high draft picks for a few years. I don’t understand what the Habs are really doing these days in terms of a plan.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
It's funny how Price is Montreal's only chance to be in the playoffs by himself yet the worst contract in the league... it seems like people here like to bash on the habs and I understand (we have a lot of fans and lots of them are terribly biased). But it's ridiculous to say this is the worst contract in the league. It's certainly not the best and I wasn't really happy as a habs fan but if he were realistically available he would be worth good assets.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
It's funny how Price is Montreal's only chance to be in the playoffs by himself yet the worst contract in the league... it seems like people here like to bash on the habs and I understand (we have a lot of fans and lots of them are terribly biased). But it's ridiculous to say this is the worst contract in the league. It's certainly not the best and I wasn't really happy as a habs fan but if he were realistically available he would be worth good assets.
Price is so good that on one hand, paying him over 10 is justified, but on the other hand, you're now investing over 11 in total to your goaltending, when the competitors are only paying something like 7-8 million, while only sacrificing a little production. That's the problem: Price is overpaid as a goalie, not as a talent. (In other words, I think that any team making a deal with Price would have overpaid in a sense)

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Ehlers has, relative to current production AND potential, a very friendly cap hit. This makes him a very valuable asset at this time...

He's not going anywhere.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
I think Price is an amazing player, and the Jets would be lucky to have someone like him in net.

I'd even ignore the fact you are asking for my favourite player; I just can't see Price agreeing to come to Winnipeg and as more than a few have mentioned, his salary puts a dent in the team cap.
I'm hoping Mason improves from his rough start (still early in the season) and Helly stands on his head a few times.

Laine and Trouba are not going to be cheap, adding Price to the equation would eat up a lot of cap space. Jets were lucky to sign Ehlers and Scheifs at reasonable contracts to help create room for Laine and Trouba paydays in the near future. Taking on Price as good as he is might cause cap issues in the very near future.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
To Montreal:
N. Ehlers
S. Mason

To Winnipeg:
C. Price
N. Scherbak

Can Montreal trick Winnipeg into giving up N. Ehlers for the worst contract in the NHL?
Winnipeg needs a tender. I seriously doubt they are that desperate though. If MTL is smart they make this move in addition to dumping Max Pac and Shea Weber if at all possible.

Scherbak is a throw in. He’s a body for Winnipeg’s farm. He’s not actually good at hockey. It’s clear he’s busted.
No. Just no.

These type of posts are just terrible.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets are not trading any of our elite forwards for a 30yr Price and his contract. Habs want to rebuild by trading Price sell him off to some other team not us.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
It would be very inciting. I think we would be a better team with Price instead of Ehlers but there's 2 trains of thought I have on it...thinking with my heart and my head:

Heart) Never want to see Ehlers in another teams jersey. Kids a legit stud and drives the play better than anyone else on the team

Head) Ehlers will be entering or in his price for all of his next contract. Price has some very elite years left but his contract could turn into a nightmare if his play drops off in his later years

I mean it will never happen so there's not reason to even think about it this hard but I am on the fence.
I agree, Ehlers is among the best young forwards with dynamic explosiveness. And its not very realistic of a Price trade but if MTL tanks, and WPG comes calling to the new Habs GM, it could happen. Just a dream. I would love to have Ehlers in a Habs jersey! :)

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I think for this to work there would have to be significant salary cap retention from Montreal - IMO they never should have agreed to that Price contract and should have started a rebuild instead

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think for this to work there would have to be significant salary cap retention from Montreal - IMO they never should have agreed to that Price contract and should have started a rebuild instead

Habs blew their chance, it was given to them on a silver platter and instead they resigned Price to a boat anchor contract that is nearly impossible to trade.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Can Montreal trick Winnipeg into giving up N. Ehlers for the worst contract in the NHL?

I don't claim to have psychic abilities or anything but when a Montreal fan starts a thread wondering if the Habs can trick the Jets into giving up Ehlers for the worst contract in the NHL, I just get these voices in my head telling me Winnipeg fans won't like it.

Reactions: Hunter368

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Price is going nowhere, he's our best individual player and the face of the franchise. The contract is risky, will probably look bad in the future and is simply untradeable but the point of it was to make sure he will retire as a Hab.

Make sure he retires as a Hab? What a terrible reason to offer a contract. MB negotiating 101.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's

It's not the worst contract in the league, but he is overpaid. And it absolutely effects his trade value. Which is historically lower for goalies compared to forwards.

Doesn't change MTL being a dumpster fire without him

PS - is it effect or affect? I can never get those right

Last edited:

Ken Wreggets revenge

Sep 28, 2017
Price is going nowhere, he's our best individual player and the face of the franchise. The contract is risky, will probably look bad in the future and is simply untradeable but the point of it was to make sure he will retire as a Hab.

It looks bad the second it takes effect. Here's a comparison of what you could get in 2018-19 for the same amount as Marc Bergevin gave Carey Price.

Cap hitTotal salary
Jonathan Quick$5,800,000$7,000,000
Jake Allen$4,350,000$4,350,000
Allen/Quick total$10,150,000$11,350,000
Carey Price$10,500,000$15,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

In year one (2018-19) of Carey Price's new contract, you could have the duo of Jonathan Quick and Jake Allen as well as $3,650,000 in cash to take with you for the greatest weekend ever in Vegas during the 2018-19 all-star game, where you'll get to watch Carey Price play after being voted in by the fans because he's, like, totally the greatest goalie ever and stuff.:bow:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad