Confirmed Trade: [MTL/VAN] Tanner Pearson and 2025 3rd round pick for Casey DeSmith

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Funny comment, as most posts are from Vancouver fans debating their cap state, previous GM debts and goaltender depth...

I was actually looking for Habs fans comments about how this Pearson's acquisition will affect Roy's chances to make the big club...

Or details about how Hugues plans to manage the cap to put Price on in-season LTIR.

But there is nothing but Benning comments...

Hughes passes this off as a "we need more grey hair in the locker room" kind of trade, but i suspect its more of a "better an extra winger than an extra goalie" kind of trade.

I think the habs have rushed too many players in the last few decades, possibly because of the mentality of maintaining the status quo of making the playoffs every year; there was so little coming up from the farm team (after trading all the picks) that fans want talent to be in the NHL and see whoever is in laval as depth or a bust.

I dont think that it would be Pearson blocking Roy from making the team. I just dont see the point of putting the kid up in the big leagues right now, when he would need to oust someone like Anderson, Gallagher, Newhook, etc in order to get the opportunities that he needs in order to succeed. Laval's lineup is starting to look interesting, with quite a bit of competition for those chairs.

I think Montreal can afford (and would benefit from) to sending players like Roy to Laval to grow there. Id much rather see him take top 6 minutes there than 4th line minutes in Mtl and following last year's pile of injuries, I found that, if anything, the coaching staff there is good at prepping players to fit into MSL's approach.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Hughes passes this off as a "we need more grey hair in the locker room" kind of trade, but i suspect its more of a "better an extra winger than an extra goalie" kind of trade.

I think the habs have rushed too many players in the last few decades, possibly because of the mentality of maintaining the status quo of making the playoffs every year; there was so little coming up from the farm team (after trading all the picks) that fans want talent to be in the NHL and see whoever is in laval as depth or a bust.

I dont think that it would be Pearson blocking Roy from making the team. I just dont see the point of putting the kid up in the big leagues right now, when he would need to oust someone like Anderson, Gallagher, Newhook, etc in order to get the opportunities that he needs in order to succeed. Laval's lineup is starting to look interesting, with quite a bit of competition for those chairs.

I think Montreal can afford (and would benefit from) to sending players like Roy to Laval to grow there. Id much rather see him take top 6 minutes there than 4th line minutes in Mtl and following last year's pile of injuries, I found that, if anything, the coaching staff there is good at prepping players to fit into MSL's approach.
Well said. In past years Roy would be making this team, as a local boy showing he can play at this level, but that isn't best for his long-term development. Might as well play Ylonen and be sure he has nothing more to offer, or Pearson to have a veteran presence for all the other kids/young players.

Let's not forget how a guy like Gonchar had helped Beaulieu very quickly take that next step. Veteran role models are important, and it's not a 1-size-fits-all situation, you need a number of guys who the kids can look up and model their life habits around (or pick up the best-fitting habits of multiple guys).

Roy can come up in a year or two, he'll be more ready and we have lower odds of burning him out.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Threadmill team making a treadmill move. Should have given some NHL time to a prospect to develop.

How many prospects/young players do Montreal need to ice lol?

Between Slafkovsky, Newhook (who's still not established), RHP and whoever is the 13th forward, Montreal has a lot of learning on the forward side. Thats without counting Caufield, Dach who are still very much developing and learning.

+ the defense where 3 of them will be 23 or under, and Kovacevik has 1 season under his belt.

So again, how many rookies does Montreal need to ice?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Threadmill team making a treadmill move. Should have given some NHL time to a prospect to develop.
It’s a club needing elite players though. They got another pick in the deal. They might find an elite guy with that pick. Seems a good trade for a club needing to draft better players.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
With the regular caveats that its way to early to make any judgements and that this is just an observation, its a little nice to see how well this nothing trade has been working out for both teams and players thus far in October:

Pearson - 5GP - 3G 2A 5P with decent impacts
DeSmith - 3GP (2 starts) - 2.28 GAA, .938 sv%, 1.065 GSAA/60

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
With the regular caveats that its way to early to make any judgements and that this is just an observation, its a little nice to see how well this nothing trade has been working out for both teams and players thus far in October:

Pearson - 5GP - 3G 2A 5P with decent impacts
DeSmith - 3GP (2 starts) - 2.28 GAA, .938 sv%, 1.065 GSAA/60
It was great trade for Canucks since old man Pearson had high cap hit and wouldn't fit on Canucks roster especially when we have Lafferty, Garland, Hoglander, Beauvillier and Suter all vying to play on that 3rd line lol

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
And Bruin fans will forever be grateful that you took him away before he had the chance to get ruin our team. :bow::bow::bow::bow:

Guy was a fraud, he clearly didn't know what the heck he was doing.
All he did was bring coffee to the games and do massive farts in the press box.

Like Mark Messier, that guy will have his tires slashed in the lower mainland.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Weren’t there Canucks fans in the playoff forum earlier today saying their season was done and the team was dead because DeSmith was replacing Demko? So now is DeSmith a great addition worth bumping a 7 month ago thread over?

I’ve always thought DeSmith was super underrated, he consistently put up good numbers while playing a good amount of games. A lot of teams have worse backups than him and some even have worse starters. Still though, odd bump.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He’s been a solid pick up. A good backup who can step in and play well through stretches. Has to be quite the year for him being thrust into the starters role partway through the playoffs. What a pressure cooker! So far so good.
Definitely a timely bump.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Reading through the thread a bit, great takes @biturbo19

At the time I was hopeful Pearson could return to form, thought it was a good trade value-wise for MTL that also filled a legit need for Vancouver, win-win. Definitely turned out better than I expected.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Weren’t there Canucks fans in the playoff forum earlier today saying their season was done and the team was dead because DeSmith was replacing Demko? So now is DeSmith a great addition worth bumping a 7 month ago thread over?

I’ve always thought DeSmith was super underrated, he consistently put up good numbers while playing a good amount of games. A lot of teams have worse backups than him and some even have worse starters. Still though, odd bump.
Few fans doesn't sum up a fan base.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

To be fair we are also crazy, and Demko is 1B with Hughes as team MVP.

I think most Canucks fans still felt fine with DeSmith in this series (he's been great in a backup schedule all year) but Demko is top 3 in the league, you just can't replace that, fingers crossed Casey keeps it going - we'll see how things go if the Nucks get out of round 1.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Pearson to me will always be remembered as the most random extension in the history of the NHL by Benning

Completely eliminated from the playoffs by the deadline
Pettersson and Hughes unsigned, and they knew they were gonna cost a fortune with like NO CAP room, with a huge off-season coming up

Was getting offers from teams for playoff runs for Pearson

And Benning just randomly gave this guy an extension right at the deadline with no trade clauses in the first few years.

• Haha
Reactions: HabsQC and gianni

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad