Confirmed Trade: [MTL/VAN] Tanner Pearson and 2025 3rd round pick for Casey DeSmith

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Why does a Tanner Pearson trade thread have some many posts. This place is full of Canucks haters. Can’t wait till we are good again.

It’s a 3rd round pick 2 years from now. Boo-hoo at least we moved enough cap to ice a full roster.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Also as horrible as Jim Benning was (I wouldn't argue if you called him the worst GM of the cap era) it's strange that Vancouver media and some of their fans continue to blame him as if new management hasn't added tens of millions a year in cap liabilities between Mikheyev, Miller, Kuzmenko and Boeser. Not to mention taking Beauvillier back in the Horvat trade when they already had a million wingers.

Mikheyev, Miller, Kuzmenko and Boeser

compare that n u have ur answer

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Why does a Tanner Pearson trade thread have some many posts. This place is full of Canucks haters. Can’t wait till we are good again.

It’s a 3rd round pick 2 years from now. Boo-hoo at least we moved enough cap to ice a full roster.
Involved Habs why so many posts

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Canucks need to make playoffs. What are you talking bud? Add Hronek, Cole, Soucy, Pius suter, Blueger, DeSmith etc. etc. just to miss playoffs lol. By that logic we will never make playoffs and wont get good picks either since the team is too good to end up last.
Is that supposed to be an impressive list of players outside of Hronek? Betting markets give the Canucks a 40% chance to make it so I really question the logic behind expending more assets to improve for this season when they should really be targeting the years after that to try and contend.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
So who won this trade?
I think both teams got what they wanted. Montreal moved an excess goalie without losing him for nothing and gained a pick by utilizing some of their excess LTIR space. Vancouver moved on from a player that wasn’t a fit for them while improving their goaltending depth and gaining enough cap space to ice a full roster.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It probably becomes moot as at least one guy likely to start season on IR

Nah, a training camp injury is unlikely to change anything cap wise. Habs can delay placing the injured player on IR until Day 1 of the season. Thus counting the injured player on the minimum 20 active roster player limit to start the regular season.

There’s no mandatory requirement to assign injured players to IR during training camp.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I was no pearson fan, but I guess he was somewhat useful, just not anywhere near his cap hit.

Defensively he was good, and he was good on the forecheck and could score some goals, but he was just to slow for the nhl at times and that was also frustrating to watch.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Nah, a training camp injury is unlikely to change anything cap wise. Habs can delay placing the injured player on IR until Day 1 of the season. Thus counting the injured player on the minimum 20 active roster player limit to start the regular season.

There’s no mandatory requirement to assign injured players to IR during training camp.
Agreed, my point was related to getting down to 23 roster players and avoiding exposing someone to waivers. someone like Dvorak it seems will start on IR not LTIR that allows them to avoid sending someone through waivers to get to 23. Cap won't be an issue and should still be able to paper a few exempt guys to Laval to put Price on LTIR in season to maximize how much they can use in season need be. Obviously won't accrue any space so bonus overages remain an issue.

On That note I have a question for you as our resident CAP guru. Supposing the paper a few waiver exempt guys to Laval to get as close to Cap as possible before putting Price on LTIR. If someone like Slaf with a big potential bonus is papered to Laval, how much LTIR space does recalling him in season cost. Is it his 950K Cap hit or is it the 4.45M AAV including potential Bonus? There are a couple others with bonuses but the amounts are insignificant 420K for Ghule and 275 for Barron I think. Slaf might not be an option to do that with if it costs 4.45M of cap to bring him back.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Is that supposed to be an impressive list of players outside of Hronek? Betting markets give the Canucks a 40% chance to make it so I really question the logic behind expending more assets to improve for this season when they should really be targeting the years after that to try and contend.
It's depth buddy. You thought we would add McDavid, Lemieux and Gretzky?? Tell me what teams have added multiple superstars with cap being stagnant? Also Canucks have good star players, just need good depth to support them and I consider those additions as good supporting players.

Considering the Canucks’ biggest issue last season outside of goaltending was their PK, that’s a list of guys they should all improve that area dramatically.
Tell me about it. Some of the posters here are too ignorant of Canucks issues last season and make a post without knowing what's going on. They think because we didn't add multiple superstars then it's not impressive lol.

Reactions: rypper

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Also as horrible as Jim Benning was (I wouldn't argue if you called him the worst GM of the cap era) it's strange that Vancouver media and some of their fans continue to blame him as if new management hasn't added tens of millions a year in cap liabilities between Mikheyev, Miller, Kuzmenko and Boeser. Not to mention taking Beauvillier back in the Horvat trade when they already had a million wingers.
Dude I think this post shows just how ignorant you are of the Canucks and the fact that you try to actually say Benning is better than the new management group or the same is so funny and delusional at the same time. Benning made such a huge mess that it will take any new GM at least 10 years to fix. Can't be fixed overnight when he had multiple garbage players taking up cap space.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
Involved Habs why so many posts
Funny comment, as most posts are from Vancouver fans debating their cap state, previous GM debts and goaltender depth...

I was actually looking for Habs fans comments about how this Pearson's acquisition will affect Roy's chances to make the big club...

Or details about how Hugues plans to manage the cap to put Price on in-season LTIR.

But there is nothing but Benning comments...

Last edited:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Are you saying it's a good thing that they traded a 3rd round pick for a 4C and a backup goalie?
Suter will be our 3C, but yes, a 2025 3rd for a 3C and backup goalie and the cap space to run a full 23 man roster is a great deal.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Agreed, my point was related to getting down to 23 roster players and avoiding exposing someone to waivers. someone like Dvorak it seems will start on IR not LTIR that allows them to avoid sending someone through waivers to get to 23. Cap won't be an issue and should still be able to paper a few exempt guys to Laval to put Price on LTIR in season to maximize how much they can use in season need be. Obviously won't accrue any space so bonus overages remain an issue.

On That note I have a question for you as our resident CAP guru. Supposing the paper a few waiver exempt guys to Laval to get as close to Cap as possible before putting Price on LTIR. If someone like Slaf with a big potential bonus is papered to Laval, how much LTIR space does recalling him in season cost. Is it his 950K Cap hit or is it the 4.45M AAV including potential Bonus? There are a couple others with bonuses but the amounts are insignificant 420K for Ghule and 275 for Barron I think. Slaf might not be an option to do that with if it costs 4.45M of cap to bring him back.

If Slaf is papered down and recalled after LTIR is invoked then he would consume $4.45M of LTIR space. So it would be preferable to include him on the opening day roster.

• Wow
Reactions: CDN24 and pth2

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If Demko remains healthy, DeSmith could be a good add. He seems to do fine when he's the backup, getting backup workload. But he becomes dogshit when he's a starter for a prolonged stretch.

And there's just something about how he looks in net that he plays so tiny. When he's on, it's because he's making acrobatic saves. But if the timing is off, he's terrible because his technique sucks and he plays small so he's not "blocking" many shots with his frame.

This is what the Canucks really need anyway. He's proven with the Pens that he can provide really solid backup goaltending in that true backup role. There's something to be said for guys who embrace that role and can come in cold, or in those intermittent spaced out starts and give you a good chance to win those games.

Demko is obviously going to get the bulk of the work. But this allows them to do a little bit of load management to keep him a bit more fresh and healthy.

And ultimately...if Demko doesn't stay healthy, it's probably not DeSmith taking over the start role anyway. He's probably just asked to keep on truckin' with the backup gig, and Arturs Silovs would be brought up and take over as the de facto "starter" anyway.

The only real reason Silovs isn't just the expected backup in the NHL this year, is that he's probably better served getting a ton of game action down in the AHL and continuing to work with Clark, probably even getting some brief callups during Canucks home stands, etc.

So DeSmith seems pretty perfectly suited to what the Canucks need out of their backup. Whereas Spencer Martin stinks and can't be relied on for anything, which would've put stupid pressure on them to run Demko into the ground.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
If Slaf is papered down and recalled after LTIR is invoked then he would consume $4.45M of LTIR space. So it would be preferable to include him on the opening day roster.
Thank you, It's what I thought unfortunately

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Pettersson is hesitant to sign with this Canucks team, the team that signed Miller and Mikheyev and Boeser and as a result has no cap space and little in the way of the pick and prospect capital needed to improve via trade. Who knows what Pettersson is thinking but I wouldn't be shocked if part of his reluctance to sign is that he's not sold on the overall plan and direction of the team more than demanding to see results right away.

Honestly I think the Canucks would have a much better chance of convincing Pettersson to stay if JR/Allvin had taken a slightly more patient approach. Just trade expiring contracts and don't sign expensive UFAs for 1.5 years after taking over and they would have entered this offseason with at least $20 million more in cap space and a surplus of picks and prospects.

This doesn't track at all. No player that wants to win now, wants to sit through a rebuild, or a "patient approach".

You're just creating a narrative that fits your perspective instead of his.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
This doesn't track at all. No player that wants to win now, wants to sit through a rebuild, or a "patient approach".

You're just creating a narrative that fits your perspective instead of his.
Star players are typically competitive and knowledgeable enough to know exactly how far away their team is from contending for a Cup.

I'm assuming Pettersson sees what everyone else sees - the Canucks have no cap space or trade assets for the foreseeable future which means there's no realistic path to significantly improving the current team. A team their own president thinks can only make the playoffs if everything goes their way.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Star players are typically competitive and knowledgeable enough to know exactly how far away their team is from contending for a Cup.

I'm assuming Pettersson sees what everyone else sees - the Canucks have no cap space or trade assets for the foreseeable future which means there's no realistic path to significantly improving the current team. A team their own president thinks can only make the playoffs if everything goes their way.
Things improve significantly at the end of this season as contracts start to expire. Pearson was one of them, along with Miller and Beau. This will coincide with a significant cap increase (that will be half used up by the OEL buyout). Many of the players brought in this year are one short term deals and if Boeser doesn’t make a comeback this year you can retain for one season to move him out.

The problem then becomes what to do with the cap space after Pettersson and Hronek are resigned.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
mr-bean-waiting.gif

Last edited:

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

Am assuming you are just making assumptions based on what you think the reality is and you think Pettersson is thinking what you are thinking. Sorry but what you think and predict is not what everyone is thinking. If Pettersson had your logic then he would ask for a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad