Proposal: MTL-STL at draft

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
That's a strange thing to say. Both high 1st rounders current management made weren't what most fans expected. Wright seemed the likely pick in 2022, and Michkov or trading down seemed the most likely outcomes at the 2023 draft. The Romanov-13OA-Dach pick wasn't exactly an orthodox series of deals, either.

In all fairness, they spoke of Demidov last year when Michkov was brought up. They’re high on him. As for Lindstrom he represents size and speed that HUGO has openly stated they value. I feel this year will be more predictable.

Reactions: Chose

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
In all fairness, they spoke of Demidov last year when Michkov was brought up. They’re high on him. As for Lindstrom he represents size and speed that HUGO has openly stated they value. I feel this year will be more predictable.
Perhaps - my point was just that this management group is willing to buck the trend, at least to a certain extent.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Lol Bolduc is a throw in piece for Guhle

Guhle is already a top 2 D
Neighbours is not a top line Forward.

If you want Guhle. The iklt player that makes sense for the Habs is Robert Thomas, that's it.
see, MTL has its silly homers too. what a failure of a post

Neighbours is a young franchise identity player and he is playing on the top line, you have a gap in your knowledge.

Asking for Thomas is asking for one of the top players in the entire NHL for your developing top pair defender and nobody intelligent who's followed hockey for more than two weeks would ask for that

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
What package would make sense from Montreal, to get Dvorsky?
I think he checks a lot of boxes in terms of what Montreal would be looking for in a fwd prospect.
He certainly upped his value D+1, although I am aware he was on a strong team in a weak division (OHL), after the failed experiment in SHL's weakest team.

We have picks and D prospects that might interest STL - probably anyone not called Guhle or Reinbacher (otherwise we would've drafted Dvorsky ourselves).
Hutson and Xhekaj we'd have to politely consider, but it's logical that it would need to hurt.

Reactions: Anardil

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
ASSUMPTION is neither team wins a lottery jump ...

MTL 1st rounder 2024

for

STL 1st rounder 2024
STL 2d rounder 2024
TOR 2d rounder 2024

Edit: clearly could have picked a different top 10-looking team ... for MTL fans who's your top available top pairing potential young defenseman and are things like Zach Bolduc, Blues 1st 2024, Joel Hofer (not all together!) of balancing interest for that player?
For MTL i dont think this is the year they can afford to do that. They need top end talent to round up the future top 6. Next year this could be an more interesting discussion to have... just now this one.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
What package would make sense from Montreal, to get Dvorsky?
I think he checks a lot of boxes in terms of what Montreal would be looking for in a fwd prospect.
He certainly upped his value D+1, although I am aware he was on a strong team in a weak division (OHL), after the failed experiment in SHL's weakest team.

We have picks and D prospects that might interest STL - probably anyone not called Guhle or Reinbacher (otherwise we would've drafted Dvorsky ourselves).
Hutson and Xhekaj we'd have to politely consider, but it's logical that it would need to hurt.
In terms of Dvorsky, the Blues had him above Reinbacher last year on their board. They had a top 8 and their last two were Leonard and Dvorsky. Dvorsky is our system's top prospect and it's a good prospect system right now with the strength of last year's draft class almost across the board. Dvorsky is viewed within Blues world as a future cornerstone center. Therefore to get him it is going to take someone you think will be a future cornerstone defenseman. I said cornerstone

Reactions: DiglettDangles

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
see, MTL has its silly homers too. what a failure of a post

Neighbours is a young franchise identity player and he is playing on the top line, you have a gap in your knowledge.

Asking for Thomas is asking for one of the top players in the entire NHL for your developing top pair defender and nobody intelligent who's followed hockey for more than two weeks would ask for that
You are asking for a 21 year old top pair dman. Our version of Matthias Ekholm.

You're not going to get him by sending us a guy like Bolduc (.5 ppg in the AHL) or Neighbours. Quality > Quantity

If Guhle was on the block, 30 other NHL teams would send a mich better offer than a career AHLer like Bolduc and a mid 1st pick in a bad draft.

Reactions: HabsAddict

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Lol Bolduc is a throw in piece for Guhle

Guhle is already a top 2 D
Neighbours is not a top line Forward.

If you want Guhle. The iklt player that makes sense for the Habs is Robert Thomas, that's it.
Neighbours has 5 more goals than Caufield this year and is 2 years younger.

Robert Thomas is a top 10 in the league, franchise 1C.

Zachary Bolduc is currently playing in the NHL and has a very bright future playing there. Lol at “career AHLer”.

You can pump Guhle’s tires without posting embarrassing takes like this.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
ASSUMPTION is neither team wins a lottery jump ...

MTL 1st rounder 2024

for

STL 1st rounder 2024
STL 2d rounder 2024
TOR 2d rounder 2024

Edit: clearly could have picked a different top 10-looking team ... for MTL fans who's your top available top pairing potential young defenseman and are things like Zach Bolduc, Blues 1st 2024, Joel Hofer (not all together!) of balancing interest for that player?
Montreal since 2017 draft has used 6 additional 2nd round picks and like an extra 4/5 thirds. Even traded 2 seconds from 2023 draft to get Newhook.

2024 - have an extra 1st and 3rd
2025 - have an extra 1st and 2nd and 3rd. Have a conditional 3rd from NJ for Allen.

I don't think they are in a spot where they need extra picks in this draft.
They are probably more likely to try to move what they have drafted/or draft capital to try to improve the roster.

Reactions: PocketNines

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
You are asking for a 21 year old top pair dman. Our version of Matthias Ekholm.

You're not going to get him by sending us a guy like Bolduc (.5 ppg in the AHL) or Neighbours. Quality > Quantity

If Guhle was on the block, 30 other NHL teams would send a mich better offer than a career AHLer like Bolduc and a mid 1st pick in a bad draft.
"career AHLer" I guess I mistook this for a conversation with someone informed, my bad

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
"career AHLer" I guess I mistook this for a conversation with someone informed, my bad
He's a .5 ppg in the ahl, 3 pts in 20ganes in the NHL. Guy is a 3-4th liber at best

And the #16 this year brings a fringe NHL prospect as rhe draft ia terrible after the top10

So MTL trades a bi adide 21YO top2 D for a 4th liner and a B- prospect

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
He's a .5 ppg in the ahl, 3 pts in 20ganes in the NHL. Guy is a 3-4th liber at best

And the #16 this year brings a fringe NHL prospect as rhe draft ia terrible after the top10

Wtf is "bi adide"? Sounds like a rando chemical additive more than a selling point on a hockey player.

• Haha
Reactions: PocketNines

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands

This is embarrassing. You are vomiting on yourself with lack of knowledge. Are you really going to double down on this completely imbecilic characterization of Bolduc?

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

I’m not sure what exactly Guhle has proven to be a bonafide top 2 D in his short career.

I’m also not sure how you can in turn have that opinion and then clearly label a guy as a career AHLer who is in his first professional season and also has poor results.

I’m also very unsure you’ve ever looked at a draft recap more than 2 years after the draft.

There are comments that are so wildly ignorant that it’s hard to not believe that it’s an attempt at trolling. This fits in that basket.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I’m not sure what exactly Guhle has proven to be a bonafide top 2 D in his short career.

I’m also not sure how you can in turn have that opinion and then clearly label a guy as a career AHLer who is in his first professional season and also has poor results.

I’m also very unsure you’ve ever looked at a draft recap more than 2 years after the draft.

There are comments that are so wildly ignorant that it’s hard to not believe that it’s an attempt at trolling. This fits in that basket.
The offer for Guhle was awful. As was the characterization of Bolduc. Habs ate not trading Guhle. He is a foundational core member of the Habs present and future.

Trade offers for Guhle need to stop. Its not happening.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I don't understand this thread at all.
Are you following where the Blues are slated to pick in the 2024 draft, that there's a huge desire to draft a top defenseman, and that Montreal is among the teams ahead of them, and that we have discussed the idea of moving up in the draft? All of that context would help

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The offer for Guhle was awful. As was the characterization of Bolduc. Habs ate not trading Guhle. He is a foundational core member of the Habs present and future.

For all MTL fans, to clarify:

1. I think Guhle is a great young player who has high trade value.
2. I hear you, he is not available! But he is the caliber of defensive prospect we are looking to add to our hockey team. That is the goal we are setting out to accomplish. Consider how reasonable that is, and how also we only care about getting high end quality, just like you.

Purely on Blues player evaluations:
Neighbours is the Blues' leading scorer and plays on the top line and over the last month has persuaded plenty of us that we are looking at a future Blues captain. He is a throwback, wise beyond his years, and he goes to the blue paint like it's a mission. Now those of you who aren't watching the Neighbours story unfold this year, that is no crime! But just listen to us, it is indeed actually happening. To me this player is flat untouchable and if you were watching what we are watching you would feel the same way. I'll give you an example, it's how you feel about Guhle.

Robert Thomas is one of the NHL's truly elite players now and it wasn't the case before this year but he made a huge leap this year. Full stop.

Kyrou is the kind of player who is boom or bust and there is a ton of bust in there. He has talent. You know how there are the kind of players you win with? He is the kind you lose with. I want to have him on the Blackhawks if the Blues were playing them in the playoffs.

Zach Bolduc is a 17th overall pick by a franchise who has crushed forward picks in the mid-late first round recently (Thompson 26, Thomas 20, Snuggerud 23, Neighbours 26 - Bokk at 25 the exception). He developed strongly and led Quebec to the Memorial Cup title just last year. I would think you would remember this. We fretted he would be too one-dimensional as a shooter to play in the NHL compared to some of our other prospects. (We've been distracted a little by Snuggerud and Dvorsky and last year's bounty.)We thought, ah, he's not tearing up the AHL, maybe he's just ok. They called him up and he has showed he plays a 200' game. It looks like the time he spent with his coach Patrick Roy on that Memorial Cup team has informed him how to be an NHLer. Last night he got time on the Blues' PP2. He scored another goal. He looks like a guy just settling in and figuring it out but one who has an NHL shot and release from distance and who takes care of the puck first. Nothing is proven yet with him but he's stepping the right steps. We can't confidently say he will be one thing or the other, but his value is very real to the Blues right now.

Reactions: southsider

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
For all MTL fans, to clarify:

1. I think Guhle is a great young player who has high trade value.
2. I hear you, he is not available! But he is the caliber of defensive prospect we are looking to add to our hockey team. That is the goal we are setting out to accomplish. Consider how reasonable that is, and how also we only care about getting high end quality, just like you.
Its very rare for a team to trade a 22 year old Dman of that calibre. Plus, he's not a prospect. He is playing legitimate top-4 D and is tracking as a top-pairing D.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I would never say never.

Guhle is our top 2 but more like top 4 on a contender. He may, repeat, MAY be overtaken by Rein, Mailman or Hutson. That won't diminish his value. And of course Guhle can take the next step in improving his offense. That would put him top 2 on any team.

Right now, I would be hesitant trading him but if we were offered a young PROVEN currently 2C with 1C upside, I would consider it. I thought that Mittlestadt was a good comparison trade.

The center and our need for another top 6 goes away if we sign someone like Reinhart. Then only our spare defenseman would be available.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Its very rare for a team to trade a 22 year old Dman of that calibre. Plus, he's not a prospect. He is playing legitimate top-4 D and is tracking as a top-pairing D.
Ah, so that isn't the caliber of defensive prospect we are looking to add to our team, I misstated?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I would never say never.

Guhle is our top 2 but more like top 4 on a contender. He may, repeat, MAY be overtaken by Rein, Mailman or Hutson. That won't diminish his value. And of course Guhle can take the next step in improving his offense. That would put him top 2 on any team.

Right now, I would be hesitant trading him but if we were offered a young PROVEN currently 2C with 1C upside, I would consider it. I thought that Mittlestadt was a good comparison trade.

The center and our need for another top 6 goes away if we sign someone like Reinhart. Then only our spare defenseman would be available.
The MAY is the problem. Guhle is guaranteed and has all the intangibles. He's not available for trade. The only time he might be available is IF / WHEN the others pass him by. But at this stage, that is not in the near future (not in the next 2 x years). And a good chance none of the young Habs prospects pass Guhle over.

Ah, so that isn't the caliber of defensive prospect we are looking to add to our team, I misstated?
Caliber of defense prospect, sure. In that case you are looking for a Reinbacher type of D-prospect in a trade. A guy who is an actual prospect with potential to be a Guhle type of Dman.

That said, he's not available either and that type doesn't get traded at this early stage. lol

The type of Prospect / 1st or 2nd year D that is available are the likes of Jayden Struble and Justin Barron..

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad