Proposal: MTL-STL at draft

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
ASSUMPTION is neither team wins a lottery jump ...

MTL 1st rounder 2024

for

STL 1st rounder 2024
STL 2d rounder 2024
TOR 2d rounder 2024

Edit: clearly could have picked a different top 10-looking team ... for MTL fans who's your top available top pairing potential young defenseman and are things like Zach Bolduc, Blues 1st 2024, Joel Hofer (not all together!) of balancing interest for that player?

Last edited:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

MTL 1st rounder 2024

for

STL 1st rounder 2024
STL 2d rounder 2024
NYR 2d rounder 2024

Rationale: the player Montreal will pick with their early turn is going to be available at 15 or 16
No. Montreal pick could be available for the right player but not to move back. We have enough depth in our pool we’re looking for quality players

And where did you heard the bolded.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
So.... 16 and 48, and likely another similar to 48 for #6 ?

First, that just isn't enough value.
Second, Montreal has a surplus of picks, and is more likely to be packaging them together to move up (not necessarily moving up into the 1st, but maybe moving a 3d and a 5th to get a late 2nd.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
So.... 16 and 48, and likely another similar to 48 for #6 ?

First, that just isn't enough value.
Second, Montreal has a surplus of picks, and is more likely to be packaging them together to move up (not necessarily moving up into the 1st, but maybe moving a 3d and a 5th to get a late 2nd.
suppose they ended up 7th and then get jumped by a team or two that isn't the Blues so it's 8 or 9, what about then? still not enough value? appreciate the answer

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
suppose they ended up 7th and then get jumped by a team or two that isn't the Blues so it's 8 or 9, what about then? still not enough value? appreciate the answer
I expect if Montreal trades the pick, it's because there's no one they really like that's left, and they'd be more likely to be moving the pick for a player.

So, say for example, #9 for Bolduc and #48, if there's no one on the board Habs management likes.

Reactions: PocketNines

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I expect if Montreal trades the pick, it's because there's no one they really like that's left, and they'd be more likely to be moving the pick for a player.

So, say for example, #9 for Bolduc and #48, if there's no one on the board Habs management likes.
got it, and I would do that deal

would you consider a different deal ... Guhle for Blues 1st + Bolduc?

the outcome we are trying to achieve is get a very good young defenseman specifically, and we have a bunch of forwards we drafted last year achieving and overachieving. the goal of trading up with Montreal in the OP is specifically to get one of the top available defensemen

Last edited:

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Montreal is set for D prospects. Now I can still see them picking one this year even though it is their strength if they think someone on the board has top pairing potential.

Habs drafted Fowler last year in net. Plus also two other goalies last year. I can’t see them interested in drafting a goalie with a pick in the second round.

What the Habs need is high end forward prospects and with a most likely top 6 or 7 pick they will be able to get that. I don’t see a need for trading down.

Plus the last two drafts the Habs have traded for Dach and Newhook. They have been sellers at the deadline and buyers at the draft.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Based on recent history, St. Louis is only selecting Top 10 by trading a core type player for it. No movement has occurred in that range since 2008.
It would probably have to be Neighbours who I am not willing to trade (preternatural franchise identity player) or mayybe Hofer, which I would consider. Blues have a young 1G in the making there

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007

the outcome we are trying to achieve is get a very good young defenseman specifically, and we have a bunch of forwards we drafted last year achieving and overachieving. the goal of trading up with Montreal in the OP is specifically to get one of the top available defensemen
Guhle is not available, unless another team wants to put together a very enticing return. Zack Bolduc (he's from Quebec!!!!!) and a mid-round 1st aren't an enticing package.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Habs have arguably the deepest pool in the league and trade a pick where a top prospect will be available for more depth?
clearly I could have picked a different franchise ... but let's say the Blues 1st pick was on the table, and/or Bolduc was on the table ... who would be the best available top pairing potential young defenseman in that system who would be available?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Counter offer:

STL 1st 2024

For

WPG 1st 2024
COL 2nd 2024
PIT 2nd 2025

Edit: actually, I thought the Blues pick was like 12, not 17. I wouldn't even do this trade.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Guhle is not available, unless another team wants to put together a very enticing return. Zack Bolduc (he's from Quebec!!!!!) and a mid-round 1st aren't an enticing package.
Bolduc looks pretty decent in his initial showing fwiw. The points aren't there just yet but he looks like he belongs in the NHL

Counter offer:

STL 1st 2024

For

WPG 1st 2024
COL 2nd 2024
PIT 2nd 2025

Edit: actually, I thought the Blues pick was like 12, not 17. I wouldn't even do this trade.
It's not 17 nor could it be 17, they aren't getting into the playoffs

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Bolduc looks pretty decent in his initial showing fwiw. The points aren't there just yet but he looks like he belongs in the NHL

It's not 17 nor could it be 17, they aren't getting into the playoffs

So 16, who cares? Doesn't change the fact that it's closer to winnipegs pick at 25 than Montreal's at 6. It's also waaay more expensive to move from 16->6 than from 25->16.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
clearly I could have picked a different franchise ... but let's say the Blues 1st pick was on the table, and/or Bolduc was on the table ... who would be the best available top pairing potential young defenseman in that system who would be available?
I’m sorry but neither of those assets - Even stacked together - Would get you anywhere close to a top pairing potential young D.

If the roles were reversed, would you be interested in that kind of package for your future top pairing guy?

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

MTL 1st rounder 2024

for

STL 1st rounder 2024
STL 2d rounder 2024
TOR 2d rounder 2024

Edit: clearly could have picked a different top 10-looking team ... for MTL fans who's your top available top pairing potential young defenseman and are things like Zach Bolduc, Blues 1st 2024, Joel Hofer (not all together!) of balancing interest for that player?
What player in draft are you looking at getting?

As a ducks fan I’d consider moving down if we end up 4 or 5 and Dickinson and levshunov are off the board…. But blues pick prob too far down.

Also the value in original post wouldn’t get it done imo

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

Montreal has really no reason to move Guhle, frankly. I could see him being moved for a high-end young forward, but it would be painful for both teams to move high-end young talent. Bolduc isn't that level of talent, and the first... well, Montreal already has Winnipeg's first which is likely to be trade bait.

I'm wondering if a more interesting move might be some B-level defenseman from Montreal for a 2nd or a B prospect in STL, frankly. A guy like Barron is likely available, and has plenty of upside, it's just not clear if he can reach it. STL might be able to offer him the opportunity he won't get in Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad