Proposal: MTL-STL at draft

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The MAY is the problem. Guhle is guaranteed and has all the intangibles. He's not available for
Caliber of defense prospect, sure. In that case you are looking for a Reinbacher type of D-prospect in a trade. A guy who is an actual prospect with potential to be a Guhle type of Dman.

That said, he's not available either and that type doesn't get traded at this early stage. lol

The type of Prospect / 1st or 2nd year D that is available are the likes of Jayden Struble and Justin Barron..
ok good I'm glad I said it right the first time whew

I am wondering what number, in your mind, is the appropriate number of times you feel it's necessary to explain Guhle in the context of my incredibly reasonable and rational comments on him in this thread?

it is one thing to tell someone your prospects aren't available, that's no problem. to instruct them that the desire they have, to get a top end prospect on defense, is not achievable ... "lol" ... is a fairly worthless contribution in a thread where the general idea was to move up to draft our own player rather than trade for one ... because duh it's more difficult to trade than draft ... DUH

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For all MTL fans, to clarify:

1. I think Guhle is a great young player who has high trade value.
2. I hear you, he is not available! But he is the caliber of defensive prospect we are looking to add to our hockey team. That is the goal we are setting out to accomplish. Consider how reasonable that is, and how also we only care about getting high end quality, just like you.

Purely on Blues player evaluations:
Neighbours is the Blues' leading scorer and plays on the top line and over the last month has persuaded plenty of us that we are looking at a future Blues captain. He is a throwback, wise beyond his years, and he goes to the blue paint like it's a mission. Now those of you who aren't watching the Neighbours story unfold this year, that is no crime! But just listen to us, it is indeed actually happening. To me this player is flat untouchable and if you were watching what we are watching you would feel the same way. I'll give you an example, it's how you feel about Guhle.

Robert Thomas is one of the NHL's truly elite players now and it wasn't the case before this year but he made a huge leap this year. Full stop.

Kyrou is the kind of player who is boom or bust and there is a ton of bust in there. He has talent. You know how there are the kind of players you win with? He is the kind you lose with. I want to have him on the Blackhawks if the Blues were playing them in the playoffs.

Zach Bolduc is a 17th overall pick by a franchise who has crushed forward picks in the mid-late first round recently (Thompson 26, Thomas 20, Snuggerud 23, Neighbours 26 - Bokk at 25 the exception). He developed strongly and led Quebec to the Memorial Cup title just last year. I would think you would remember this. We fretted he would be too one-dimensional as a shooter to play in the NHL compared to some of our other prospects. (We've been distracted a little by Snuggerud and Dvorsky and last year's bounty.)We thought, ah, he's not tearing up the AHL, maybe he's just ok. They called him up and he has showed he plays a 200' game. It looks like the time he spent with his coach Patrick Roy on that Memorial Cup team has informed him how to be an NHLer. Last night he got time on the Blues' PP2. He scored another goal. He looks like a guy just settling in and figuring it out but one who has an NHL shot and release from distance and who takes care of the puck first. Nothing is proven yet with him but he's stepping the right steps. We can't confidently say he will be one thing or the other, but his value is very real to the Blues right now.
Good post and

We value Guhle at a level of trade that you won't part with and it should end any discussion about Ghule for Bolduc.

Now if you want Struble/Harris/Barron with maybe a reasonable add on our side, we can talk. Those defenseman, our vets and our picks are available. Including our top 5...but that won't be cheap.

One does not trade a top 5 pick unless a top 5 pick that fills a need is in return. As an example, i can see a Zegras for top 5-6 trade (but that one has big red flags on it.)

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
ok good I'm glad I said it right the first time whew

I am wondering what number, in your mind, is the appropriate number of times you feel it's necessary to explain Guhle in the context of my incredibly reasonable and rational comments on him in this thread?

it is one thing to tell someone your prospects aren't available, that's no problem. to instruct them that the desire they have, to get a top end prospect on defense, is not achievable ... "lol" ... is a fairly worthless contribution in a thread where the general idea was to move up to draft our own player rather than trade for one ... because duh it's more difficult to trade than draft ... DUH
You can desire a top-end prospect on defense. You can even propose a return for one. But if the key target is obviously not available, then its a futile obsession.

Reactions: pth2

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think the prospects pools match up a bit, but I don’t understand why Guhle would be available. And I think trying to argue with them about that does not make a lot is sense. They would know their team better then we would.

Keep it simple Bolduc for Mailloux. Blues get a solid d prospect for a solid wing prospect.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think the prospects pools match up a bit, but I don’t understand why Guhle would be available. And I think trying to argue with them about that does not make a lot is sense. They would know their team better then we would.

Keep it simple Bolduc for Mailloux. Blues get a solid d prospect for a solid wing prospect.
After the year Mailloux had in the AHL, i don't see him being available.

Reactions: viceroy

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I didn’t follow his year. Hard times one way tracking our own prospects, let alone someone else’s. I know he was solid, but not sure of his upside. I was thinking 2nd pairing. Is that no longer the case -upside of being a #3. Is he looking better than that.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I didn’t follow his year. Hard times one way tracking our own prospects, let alone someone else’s. I know he was solid, but not sure of his upside. I was thinking 2nd pairing. Is that no longer the case -upside of being a #3. Is he looking better than that.
He's a top-10 producer from the back-end in the AHL (as a rookie). His defensive game has improved significantly. Hard to say what his projection is at this stage. Based on his first season of AHL hockey, the skies the limit. Habs will want to see where he goes next season. Plus he's a RHD.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Are you following where the Blues are slated to pick in the 2024 draft, that there's a huge desire to draft a top defenseman, and that Montreal is among the teams ahead of them, and that we have discussed the idea of moving up in the draft? All of that context would help
The Habs need blueliners far more than we do.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Neighbours has 5 more goals than Caufield this year and is 2 years younger.

Robert Thomas is a top 10 in the league, franchise 1C.

Zachary Bolduc is currently playing in the NHL and has a very bright future playing there. Lol at “career AHLer”.

You can pump Guhle’s tires without posting embarrassing takes like this.
Woah woah woah there. Neighbours also had 18 less points than Caufield. Can we also pump the breaks on the Thomas being generational?

The Habs need blueliners far more than we do.
No, we don’t.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
suppose they ended up 7th and then get jumped by a team or two that isn't the Blues so it's 8 or 9, what about then? still not enough value? appreciate the answer
I stilll wouldn't do it based on who I expect to be available.

At 8 or 9, you can probably still choose from a Helenius or a Tij Iginla. At 15-16, you are picking from a tier of talent that is entirely different in my mind.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Woah woah woah there. Neighbours also had 18 less points than Caufield. Can we also pump the breaks on the Thomas being generational?
No. Go look at the results he is having and the type/difficulty of minutes he is playing. He is an elite 1C in the league. Robert Thomas is one of the most underrated players in the NHL and I’m going to keep beating this drum until the rest of the league wakes up.

Beautiful goal the other night from career AHLer Zachary Bolduc:

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
No. Go look at the results he is having and the type/difficulty of minutes he is playing. He is an elite 1C in the league. Robert Thomas is one of the most underrated players in the NHL and I’m going to keep beating this drum until the rest of the league wakes up.

Beautiful goal the other night from career AHLer Zachary Bolduc:

He’s a pretty good 1C but far far away from being elite - Let alone generational

Reactions: HabsAddict

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
He’s a pretty good 1C but far far away from being elite - Let alone generational
You are the only person who has used the word generational. Robert Thomas is easily having a top 10 season among centers in the NHL this year.

Reactions: southsider

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3