Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Sebastian Aho signs an offer sheet with the Canadiens (5 years, $8.454M AAV) - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
So there's no possibility at all for Caroline to move Aho, correct? Not during the 7 day period or the 1st year of his contract, right?

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
This move is all flash but no substance. Carolina will match and MTL will walk away empty handed again....unless Gardiner:help:

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I love how people call it a “joke” offer when the player himself signed it, and the home team wouldn’t sign it in the first place, until they were forced lol.

Yet if he went extreme like the Flyers v Predators, people would be pissy about how predatory it was haha.

Bergevin seems content to not add unnecessary contracts that won’t bring him closer to a cup in the medium or long term. If he wanted any of the other FAs still available, he’d probably have held off on this offer sheet. He’s content to sit and risk missing out, but if he can steal a affordable young player, hurray!

This is the perfect example of how offersheets were intended to work. They’re for the players benefit, the level the playing field for RFAs. Habs did nothing wrong.

Last edited:

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Montreal fans should be happy about this. Bergevin doesnt care as hes trying to save his job, and he's offersheeting a GM that probably wont be around in a year or two anyway so rep doesnt matter.

Why not try something daring? I would have offered more though...

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I love how people call it a “joke” offer when the player himself signed it, and the home team wouldn’t sign it in the first place, until they were forced lol.

Yet if he went extreme like the Flyers v Predators, people would be pissy about how predatory it was haha.

Bergevin seems content to not add unnecessary contracts that won’t bring him closer to a cup in the medium or long term. If he wanted any of the other FAs still available, he’d probably have held off on this offer sheet. He’s content to sit, but if he can steal a affordable young player, hurray!

This is the perfect example of how offersheets were intended to work.

Sorry, but if the offer was never going to be accepted and it only benefited the player, it's a con job on the Habs.

Worse still he got rid of a 20 goal player to play the con.

See the tweet I posted above.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
In case you have ANY doubts that it was BargainBinz "I tried" con job from the start.....

Could having sent an offersheet give them some sort of edge in trade negotiations? Do the Canes pay the bonus immediately upon signing the contract?

Habs front load it and give the Canes the option of throwing away money or taking just a few picks? Genuinely curious.

Sorry, but if the offer was never going to be accepted and it only benefited the player, it's a con job on the Habs.

Worse still he got rid of a 20 goal player to play the con.

See the tweet I posted above.
^^

Also, isn’t trading away talent sometimes a means of aiding a rebuild/retool to get a better pick?

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
Having billions of dollars also doesn’t mean he can’t already have millions of dollars of debt. And a significant chunk of that money could be tied up, rather than liquid assets.

Having a billion dollar net worth doesn’t necessarily mean you have tens of millions of dollars to throw around here and there.
He may be worth a billion dollars, but does he have 20 million dollars in his bank account that he can withdraw this year and invest even more into Sebastian Aho?

What if he has to sell stocks or land or something for Aho? Will he be willing to do it to save his franchise from fan disgruntlement or will he let him go to have a better chance to cut a profit this season. Very interesting.

We don't know the exact numbers on how the organization work and whats going on with Dundons bank/investments from the outside. Assuming he can pay it and will simply drop 21M$ because he has investments worth billions like he has an unlimited supply is not a fool proof deal. Im hoping he chooses to let him go. We'll see

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Montreal fans should be happy about this. Bergevin doesnt care as hes trying to save his job, and he's offersheeting a GM that probably wont be around in a year or two anyway so rep doesnt matter.

Why not try something daring? I would have offered more though...

Bergevin stated that offering more wouldn't be an issue for Carolina. He's hoping the 21 million in 1 year is enough to turn Dundon off. What Aho got are the highest signing bonuses a player can get.

Say Montreal signed him at 9.5 per year, for 5 years with small signing bonuses. That's a lot easier for the canes to match. Not saying it's hard for them now, but it's a harder match than what people seem to believe.

People say Don Waddell doesn't seem phased. Well, it's not his money. His job doesn't really matter, except to tell Dundon that Aho is indeed worth this, or to try and find something with 3 1st round picks next year to "replace" Aho.

People see the contract and it isn't very high for the cap hit, especially for a player like Aho. It's the money side of it Bergevin is hoping scares Dundon off.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Next CBA needs to make a rule that if you give a RFA a bonus in a contract on the first day the team giving the offer sheet needs to pay it

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Bergevin stated that offering more wouldn't be an issue for Carolina. He's hoping the 21 million in 1 year is enough to turn Dundon off. What Aho got are the highest signing bonuses a player can get.

Say Montreal signed him at 9.5 per year, for 5 years with small signing bonuses. That's a lot easier for the canes to match. Not saying it's hard for them now, but it's a harder match than what people seem to believe.

People say Don Waddell doesn't seem phased. Well, it's not his money. His job doesn't really matter, except to tell Dundon that Aho is indeed worth this, or to try and find something with 3 1st round picks next year to "replace" Aho.

People see the contract and it isn't very high for the cap hit, especially for a player like Aho. It's the money side of it Bergevin is hoping scares Dundon off.

Didn't Dundon recently lose a ton of money on some football league venture?

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He may be worth a billion dollars, but does he have 20 million dollars in his bank account that he can withdraw this year and invest even more into Sebastian Aho?

What if he has to sell stocks or land or something for Aho? Will he be willing to do it to save his franchise from fan disgruntlement or will he let him go to have a better chance to cut a profit this season. Very interesting.

We don't know the exact numbers on how the organization work and whats going on with Dundons bank/investments from the outside. Assuming he can pay it and will simply drop 21M$ because he has investments worth billions like he has an unlimited supply is not a fool proof deal. Im hoping he chooses to let him go. We'll see

Unlikely that someone that rich doesn't have that kind of cash.

I call it the "extra zeros theory".....

For him, 20 million is like $2,000 for us. if I had to spend 2K to shore up my house, it would be a groan....and a check the next day.

varano

Jun 27, 2013

I understand all of that, but what I'm saying is... Why not do both... A more expensive deal and high signing bonuses. Even 9.5 makes carolina think a bit more..

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010

Are you guys for real? I bet any idiot can get a 20 million loan if they are the owner of an NHL team just because of that fact. Since when do sports team need to make a profit each and every season? Come on.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I understand all of that, but what I'm saying is... Why not do both... A more expensive deal and high signing bonuses. Even 9.5 makes carolina think a bit more..
Because if you can get him cheaper why not haha. Probably the difference between 8.5 and 9.5 bonus isn’t so much that the Canes would be comfortable matching the 8.5 bonus but not the 9.5

They’re probably banking of the first $20mil. They prob don’t expect him to not get matched, but if they could get him $20mil would be enough

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

If carolina lets aho go comp is a 1st 2nd 3rd. 9.5 (>8.5, this is 8.4) is 2 1sts 2 2nds and a 3rd. If the sticking point is purely the money the draft picks are irrelevant, so keep them for yourself.

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
Why make the cost from montreals perspective even steeper? And extra 1st rounder and less cap room. The whole point is to try and get a steal and not overpay for once.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
Didn't Dundon recently lose a ton of money on some football league venture?

Ya and also this:

The founder of a subprime auto-loan financing outfit, Dundon believed he could maximize the AAF’s returns more quickly. And while some thought the league was over-spending in certain sectors, others recoiled when the new leader went searching for savings under every rock, including revisiting TV and camera-equipment deals that had been built upon the Ebersols’ personal relationships.

One insider says Dundon earned the nickname Trump, based on his slashing of budgets and his hard-liner approach to renegotiating deals. Suddenly the necessity of certain business trips was questioned. Meals were cut from team flights. Every expenditure had to be rationalized. “As soon as Dundon took over,” says one former mid-level employee, “our f------ expense reports were getting approved out of Dallas,” where the billionaire was based.

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
Unlikely that someone that rich doesn't have that kind of cash.

I call it the "extra zeros theory".....

For him, 20 million is like $2,000 for us. if I had to spend 2K to shore up my house, it would be a groan....and a check the next day.
Yeah I understand that 2k$ for an average person is a small amount. But there are normal people working above average jobs like hospital surgeons or engineers with high salaries. But they could very easily be -20k$ below and banks decide they don't want to risk loaning these people with great salaries more money because they just can't manage properly. I'm saying high or exorbitant levels of revenue and property ownership doesn't guarantee you as a smart investor/finance management.

But like you said, highly unlikely as a billionaire. Still think its plausible with the AAF 250-400M$ ive been hearing about this year. Pure speculation but that would further the reason behind the Canes decision to let Aho go. Can't afford/too cheap of an owner/not worth the investment compared to the revenue.

If Geoff Molson is ready to do it and drop 21m$ this year on Aho then why is MBs strategy entirely based around the first year signing bonuses. Just weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad