Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Sebastian Aho signs an offer sheet with the Canadiens (5 years, $8.454M AAV) - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Kind of weird. Almost zero chance Carolina doesn't match. As others have said, Montreal did Carolina a favour at that salary. ??What are the rules for trading a player after an offer sheet? They have to keep him for 1 year, right?

It's not a favor walking their best player to UFA at 26 lol. This is VERY annoying for Carolina. This is the type of AAV they wanted over 8 years (they were offering less). The upfront cash and the term are very annoying. Carolina will easily match but this is a pain in Carolina's ass

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
If Montreal wanted Carolina to think about it they would have went over the max on that compensation slot so Carolina would turn down 2 firsts

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
A lot of people don't seem to realize Carolina won't happily take this and thank Montreal. The terms of this contract couldn't be more head scratching for Carolina.

But yes they will match it. Can't let your young franchise player walk.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I don’t see what Bergevin accomplished here. He’s not getting the player and he’s not raising the market value of the two marquee RFA’s in his division (Point and Marner), either.
He's just trying something on the slim chance Waddell was bluffing.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
Could the Habs and the Canes work out a trade for the player while the offer sheet is pending? Just curious.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Even if Aho doesn't come here in one week, the best new of the day with this offer is that Lee won't probably come in the Mecca of Hockey with a very bad contract like 9M for 7-8 years...

Reactions: dukeofjive

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
People in this thread really have no idea who Dundon is. He’s a weirdo for sure, but he has a lot of money. No one is saying he’s gonna buy out Molson and move the Habs to New Orleans, but he can afford to pay Aho some extra cash up front.

Even if he weren't that rich, you would think the Canes could you know, borrow some money to pay for the first year of the contract. People are acting as if there would be a huge financial hit every year if they match. I don't see how it would be that much of a problem unless they are literally on the brink of bankruptcy.

Reactions: Seanaconda

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Question: Could Aho have decided not to sign this offer sheet and then still go back to Carolina and ask for 9M-10M? Cause that’s what he should do.

This lowball offer sheet from Montreal kind of forces him to take 8.45M doesn’t it?

I think he should be shooting for more. He’s a better player than Matthews, but Matthews is overpaid, I’d say he ends up at 10 M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad