Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Sebastian Aho signs an offer sheet with the Canadiens (5 years, $8.454M AAV) - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Waddells gotta wait for the very final second to match id imagine.

Screws the Habs all week to sign guys

Habs have some other cap space and they can go over in the offseason, anyway. I think if the Habs wanted to sign Anders Lee or Jake Gardiner they probably wouldn't have done this. I assume they wanted a few guys (Duchene) they didn't get and they thought, f*** it, nothing left appealing so let's throw a dart. I doubt Carolina waiting is that big of an impact.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
stupid question but is his AAV the same each year? I remember nylander signed a weird contract that gave him a 10+ AAV, but i think that's just because he signed during the season right?

AAV by definition will be the same each year because that's what it is. The average annual value of the contract.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
People here on hfboards have no idea thats is a win win situation for Montreal

We win Aho
Or we lose him and Gardiner and Lee will be signed already so habs wont waste 9x7 for Lee and 7x7 for Gardiner

For most of habs fans , Its a win win situation today

Haters gonna hate

lol #realspit

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
People in this thread really have no idea who Dundon is. He’s a weirdo for sure, but he has a lot of money. No one is saying he’s gonna buy out Molson and move the Habs to New Orleans, but he can afford to pay Aho some extra cash up front.
Depends on if he wants to run next season with a potential net loss while fighting in the court for millions

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Was not expecting Bergevin to do this but hey why not...then again I figure there is an above average chance that the 'Canes will match it.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
Ya I thought Bergevin would say this. The 10.5M threshold doesn't matter for Carolina. It's either they want to spend 21M in a year or 25M in a year. It doesn't matter for Carolina, it hurts either way. Either Dundon gets a loan for 21M or 25M.

So going to 10.5M only affects Montreal really.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Kind of weird. Almost zero chance Carolina doesn't match. As others have said, Montreal did Carolina a favour at that salary. ??What are the rules for trading a player after an offer sheet? They have to keep him for 1 year, right?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Waddell saying he was expecting a bigger offer for Aho is a bit of a joke when he's apparently offered him 7.5/year over 8

Reactions: flamesforcup

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
This is a magic OS

Force team to pay up 21 million in year one
Contract takes the player directly to UFA

Now do the Canes Match and then rick losing the asset for nothing
Do the Canes trade him during the contract after paying out 21 million in year one

Interesting wrinkle

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Waddells gotta wait for the very final second to match id imagine.

Screws the Habs all week to sign guys

it doesnt

teams have 100% of cap to spend. Montreal has like $25M to play with of which this $8,5M comes out of.

they can still sign Lee.

They cant trade their 1/2/3 going to Carolina as compensation.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
I don’t see what Bergevin accomplished here. He’s not getting the player and he’s not raising the market value of the two marquee RFA’s in his division (Point and Marner), either.

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
This is a magic OS

Force team to pay up 21 million in year one
Contract takes the player directly to UFA

Now do the Canes Match and then rick losing the asset for nothing
Do the Canes trade him during the contract after paying out 21 million in year one

Interesting wrinkle

I thought you had to wait a year before trading anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad