Confirmed Trade: [MTL/PIT/SJS] Karlsson, Pitlick, Hamaliuk, SJS'26 3rd to PIT; Granlund, Hoffman, Rutta, PIT'24 1st to SJS; Petry, DeSmith, Legare, PIT'25 2nd to MTL

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think if the Pens are serious about making a run next season, they need to find a way to get a true stay at home top 4 dman. Carolina has a surplus, flames too, they are out there. Teams need to follow Vegas foot steps and have big physical mobile blue lines. The Pens lack a Brayden McNabb. The Pens already took the first step by now having two elite PMD who can log close to 30 mins a night each. That’s a huge luxury that very few teams have.
We should trade for Dumo.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Datsyuk, Zetterbeg, Franzen, and Kronwall were all in their late 20’s.

The Wings that year had an average age of 32.1. The Penguins average age right now is 30.2.

Their two goalies were Osgood (35) and Hasek (43). Their top pair was Lidstrom (37) and Rafalski (34). Of the 20 players who played in 40 or more games on that team, 9 of them were 34 or older (the 4 previously mentioned, Chelios, Draper, Drake, Maltby and Holmstrom).

For comparison, the Penguins have 5 players who are 34 or older (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Carter and Eller). Their goalies are 28 (Jarry) and 27 (Nedjelkovic) respectively. Their defense beyond Karlsson and Letang have a 28 (Graves), 27 (Pettersson), 24 (POJ) and 23 (Smith) year old. The majority of the Penguins' forwards are between 28 and 31.

Lidstrom, Shanahan, Yzerman, Hull, Chelios and Robitaille were all over 30 in 2002.

Plus the 2008 team had an average age of 32.1. They were old as well, they just had a prime aged core.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Datsyuk, Zetterbeg, Franzen, and Kronwall were all in their late 20’s.
Correct. I would go back to the Ducks in the 2010s area where they had Selenne Neids etc to show a team that was up in age that had success.

That was also 10-15 years ago, these guys today have a lot more going for them as far as recovery and training so I would say they age a little different as I expect that to continue into future generations.

This is also a rare thing to look at as well. You have 2 generational players on the same team with the best offensive Dman of this generation all together. Not really much to compare it too. You can say they are old or whatever but they are still very good and I can assure you NHL players know what they are capable of despite what some on the board might think

Last edited:

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Spezza and Karlsson re-united in Pittsburgh.

365769556_839021544256651_7173862353961431594_n.jpg

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think if the Pens are serious about making a run next season, they need to find a way to get a true stay at home top 4 dman. Carolina has a surplus, flames too, they are out there. Teams need to follow Vegas foot steps and have big physical mobile blue lines. The Pens lack a Brayden McNabb. The Pens already took the first step by now having two elite PMD who can log close to 30 mins a night each. That’s a huge luxury that very few teams have.

I think that’s the last of our concerns tbh.

I’d hope we can acquire DeMelo and a higher impact top nine wing.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
We may try and get someone mean for the 3rd-pairing but Graves and Petts are both bonified top-4 defensive d-men. If you're arguing otherwise I'd have to wonder if you're familiar with these players or not.

I also think there's a bit of recency bias with Vegas winning the Cup. If you look only to the year previous Colorado wasn't exactly "mean" all throughout their blue-line. The identity of a Cup winning team can and does change pretty much every single year. Barring injuries, Pens top-4 is set.

Reactions: Fordy

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The Wings that year had an average age of 32.1. The Penguins average age right now is 30.2.

Their two goalies were Osgood (35) and Hasek (43). Their top pair was Lidstrom (37) and Rafalski (34). Of the 20 players who played in 40 or more games on that team, 9 of them were 34 or older (the 4 previously mentioned, Chelios, Draper, Drake, Maltby and Holmstrom).

For comparison, the Penguins have 5 players who are 34 or older (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Carter and Eller). Their goalies are 28 (Jarry) and 27 (Nedjelkovic) respectively. Their defense beyond Karlsson and Letang have a 28 (Graves), 27 (Pettersson), 24 (POJ) and 23 (Smith) year old. The majority of the Penguins' forwards are between 28 and 31.

Plus the 2008 team had an average age of 32.1. They were old as well, they just had a prime aged core.
The league has changed A LOT since then. That was peak dead puck era. Speed not nearly as important as it is in today’s game.

I’m very much enjoying Pens fans optimism. It’s going to be very fun to watch this team crash and burn.

Did the Red Wings miss the playoffs in 2001?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The league has changed A LOT since then. That was peak dead puck era. Speed not nearly as important as it is in today’s game.

I’m very much enjoying Pens fans optimism. It’s going to be very fun to watch this team crash and burn.

No, this was the 2008 Red Wings team. The one that beat the Penguins.

Reactions: Gold Diamond

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not sure we're even that optimistic. I think most of us are aware that our roster has flaws, and that balancing everything on the shoulders of four injury prone guys in their 30s has a big ol' risk factor.

But it's ambitious, it should be fun, and if it goes wrong we've already seen more cups than most fans will see in the rest of their lives. Every team crashes and burns sooner or later, not all of them get to go like this.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
I'm not sure we're even that optimistic. I think most of us are aware that our roster has flaws, and that balancing everything on the shoulders of four injury prone guys in their 30s has a big ol' risk factor.

But it's ambitious, it should be fun, and if it goes wrong we've already seen more cups than most fans will see in the rest of their lives. Every team crashes and burns sooner or later, not all of them get to go like this.
Nah, the Pens will never truly crash and burn. Once Crosby retires the league will do everything in its power to send them another generational player (either through the draft or somehow forcing Edmonton to trade them McDavid)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nah, the Pens will never truly crash and burn. Once Crosby retires the league will do everything in its power to send them another generational player (either through the draft or somehow forcing Edmonton to trade them McDavid)

From your lips to God's ears.

I pray that this ends up true just so I can read the tears of fans on this site.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
This is immense for the Pens, now that I've had more time to think about it. These are some of the hungriest players on the planet when it comes to motivation. This team is built to go far in the playoffs BUT only as long as the big 4 can remain healthy. The issues will arise if/when one of them is injured as their depth is quite slim. If that happens, it will require at least one of the depth guys to put up an unsung performance. Still, that's a good place to be. Whoever keeps bringing up age is just being childish.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA

The only way this team crashes and burns is if Crosby, Malkin, and Letang fall off a cliff with their production.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Synergy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad