Confirmed Trade: [MTL/PIT/SJS] Karlsson, Pitlick, Hamaliuk, SJS'26 3rd to PIT; Granlund, Hoffman, Rutta, PIT'24 1st to SJS; Petry, DeSmith, Legare, PIT'25 2nd to MTL

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Coming up on that 30 year no cups huh.

But honestly most of us pens fans just want to make playoffs and win some rounds. We are quite pleased winning 3 cups during this Era. It's pretty wild to think the Pens have won 5 cups and the Rangers 4 with a 40 year headstart
That’s interesting.
Back to EK on the Pens. Does having EK to play PP1 and cherry 5 on 5 zone starts, free up Letang to play more PK and hard matchup (5 on 5) minutes?

Apr 9, 2009
USA
The league has changed A LOT since then. That was peak dead puck era. Speed not nearly as important as it is in today’s game.

I’m very much enjoying Pens fans optimism. It’s going to be very fun to watch this team crash and burn.

Did the Red Wings miss the playoffs in 2001?

lol crash and burn. We have three cups with this core. They could go winless and they would have had more success than your team.

I've enjoyed watching your team crash and burn for my entire life. I suppose it makes sense that you'd be acting so bitter. I love it, please continue, it's very entertaining.

There's nothing you can say to bring us down. All you're doing is making yourself look salty as all f***.

The Pens roster after the trade is better than it was before the trade. I'm sorry that hurts you so much. You can go on about advanced stats all you want. The Pens snagged EK for roster players DeSmith, Rutta and Petry. They've improved.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
That’s interesting.
Back to EK on the Pens. Does having EK to play PP1 and cherry 5 on 5 zone starts, free up Letang to play more PK and hard matchup (5 on 5) minutes?
I won't be surprised seeing both on PP1.

I think the biggest difference will be in deployment at Even strength.

Letang I think will play the same amount of PK so we will see EK edge out on minutes at ES and may get favored zone time deployment.

I think that EK and Letang will be seen as equals just different deployments.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I won't be surprised seeing both on PP1.

I think the biggest difference will be in deployment at Even strength.

Letang I think will play the same amount of PK so we will see EK edge out on minutes at ES and may get favored zone time deployment.

I think that EK and Letang will be seen as equals just different deployments.
Two legit number 1 D. Pretty good move by Dubas.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
lol crash and burn. We have three cups with this core. They could go winless and they would have had more success than your team.

I've enjoyed watching your team crash and burn for my entire life. I suppose it makes sense that you'd be acting so bitter. I love it, please continue, it's very entertaining.

There's nothing you can say to bring us down. All you're doing is making yourself look salty as all f***.

The Pens roster after the trade is better than it was before the trade. I'm sorry that hurts you so much. You can go on about advanced stats all you want. The Pens snagged EK for roster players DeSmith, Rutta and Petry. They've improved.
What does any of this have to do with the Rangers?

My stance is simple. I think the Penguins decision to double down on making runs with their aging core is a bad idea. As a Ranger fan, I have a lot of experience seeing how this plays out.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What does any of this have to do with the Rangers?

My stance is simple. I think the Penguins decision to double down on making runs with their aging core is a bad idea. As a Ranger fan, I have a lot of experience seeing how this plays out.

The difference is that the aging core that the Rangers had was full of a bunch of losers while the Penguins aging core actually knows how to win.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
The league has changed A LOT since then. That was peak dead puck era. Speed not nearly as important as it is in today’s game.

I’m very much enjoying Pens fans optimism. It’s going to be very fun to watch this team crash and burn.

Did the Red Wings miss the playoffs in 2001?
100 years old New York Rangers fans have seen more solar eclipses than Stanley Cups…

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I realy understand that Pittsburgh are tryin there best for the old core. They deserve it. The put the rebuild on hold and i dont think fans or management got any complains about that.

I have never liked Pittsburgh for some , even for me , unknown reason.
This time i am rooting for you. If you go against Leafs in the final i offcourse hope Leafs win(the odds for both teams are slimmer than a sliced hair on a fox moth caterpillar), but other than that... Go Pens!

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
The Habs are probably going to retain half of his deal and flip him for good assets.

Petry at $2.3 million is an absolute steal, you'd have a dozen teams in on him for sure.

You called it, except for the “good assets” and “dozen teams in on him” parts.

Habs got basically nothing for Petry and had zero leverage in the deal. Habs fans are left spinning some crazy “strategic goodwill” story, which is the most ridiculous coping strategy I’ve ever heard.

That trash deal for Petry to Detroit makes this one an even bigger win for Pittsburgh. They get the best d man in the world for a song.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You called it, except for the “good assets” and “dozen teams in on him” parts.

Habs got basically nothing for Petry and had zero leverage in the deal. Habs fans are left spinning some crazy “strategic goodwill” story, which is the most ridiculous coping strategy I’ve ever heard.

That trash deal for Petry to Detroit makes this one an even bigger win for Pittsburgh. They get the best d man in the world for a song.

They got assets for basically not buying out Mike Hoffman.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
They would have more cap space if they had bought out Hoffman because of the retention.

Two turd deals don’t make a less turdy deal
But a 2nd, a 4th, DeSmith and Lindstrom were added.
Judging by your contributions, if you're calling this tradeoff "bad", it probably means it's a good trade-off.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
They would have more cap space if they had bought out Hoffman because of the retention.

Two turd deals don’t make a less turdy deal

Buying out Hoffman gives them 600k more cap space next season vs retention. You think it's bad to get picks for adding 600k cap space next season?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't understand why Habs fans are acting like moving out Hoffman is realistically any sort of value for them. Hoffman was included to keep the money swap fairly even, the same as Pitlick. The value in that deal was Montreal getting a 2nd from Pittsburgh plus being able to have Petry and DeSmith as trade chips.

They just ended up getting a nothing return on Petry for some reason. They didn't do horribly but a 2nd and 2 4ths to retain $2.3 million on Petry for 2 years is pretty middling.

They got assets for basically not buying out Mike Hoffman.

The Habs couldn't buy out Hoffman anyway because they didn't have a second buyout window open.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The Habs couldn't buy out Hoffman anyway because they didn't have a second buyout window open.

The choice was made earlier on.

I don't understand why Habs fans are acting like moving out Hoffman is realistically any sort of value for them. Hoffman was included to keep the money swap fairly even, the same as Pitlick. The value in that deal was Montreal getting a 2nd from Pittsburgh plus being able to have Petry and DeSmith as trade chips.

Because he's a f***ing cancer who plays like a scared chicken and spends all his defensive efforts in "dead zones".
Also had Brandon Gallagher fight his fights (...with Erik Karlsson lol).

Like, whatever "bad" thing you heard about Drouin applies to Hoffman tenfold.

• Wow
Reactions: TheStatican

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

They just ended up getting a nothing return on Petry for some reason. They didn't do horribly but a 2nd and 2 4ths to retain $2.3 million on Petry for 2 years is pretty middling.

Both Hoffman and Petry are cap dumps. In the current market place where moving money is so hard, the fact they got out of Hoffmans deal AND got something for Petry is a steal for them.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Both Hoffman and Petry are cap dumps. In the current market place where moving money is so hard, the fact they got out of Hoffmans deal AND got something for Petry is a steal for them.

They effectively got a 2nd and 2 4ths to eat $2.3 million for 2 years. That's the value they got. It's fine value but it's not anything great.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
They effectively got a 2nd and 2 4ths to eat $2.3 million for 2 years. That's the value they got. It's fine value but it's not anything great.

I disagree. Look at what the Oilers had to do to get out of Yammamoto's deal and that was only 3.1 cap hit. Lost a great player in Kostin for free.

Hoffman makes 4.5 and they got out of that deal for taking Petry. The fact that they managed to retain 2.3 and get 2nd ++ is amazing considering no one in the league is taking Hoffman at 50%.

Penguins literally did the Habs a favor in order to afford Karlsson. Cost of doing business and all of that. But the reasoning why they did that doesn't change the Habs made out amazing in this deal

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I disagree. Look at what the Oilers had to do to get out of Yammamoto's deal and that was only 3.1 cap hit. Lost a great player in Kostin for free.

Hoffman makes 4.5 and they got out of that deal for taking Petry. The fact that they managed to retain 2.3 and get 2nd ++ is amazing considering no one in the league is taking Hoffman at 50%.

Penguins literally did the Habs a favor in order to afford Karlsson. Cost of doing business and all of that. But the reasoning why they did that doesn't change the Habs made out amazing in this deal

I don't see any basis for claiming that "no one is taking Hoffman at 50%".

I also don't see how Montreal, who sucks, gets any sort of value out of getting rid of a bad player. If Montreal was a good team and they needed the cap space to make a move (like Pittsburgh did with Granlund and Petry), I'd be more willing to listen to that argument. But they're not, they're just a bad team.

I don't see how you can equate a bad team getting out of a bad deal to a good team getting out of a bad deal. The difference in positions for each team fundamentally changes the value there.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't see any basis for claiming that "no one is taking Hoffman at 50%".

I also don't see how Montreal, who sucks, gets any sort of value out of getting rid of a bad player. If Montreal was a good team and they needed the cap space to make a move (like Pittsburgh did with Granlund and Petry), I'd be more willing to listen to that argument. But they're not, they're just a bad team.

I don't see how you can equate a bad team getting out of a bad deal to a good team getting out of a bad deal. The difference in positions for each team fundamentally changes the value there.
Mike Hoffman is what we commonly refer to as a cancer. He should probably be the one paying to play in the NHL, not the other way around.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Buying out Hoffman gives them 600k more cap space next season vs retention. You think it's bad to get picks for adding 600k cap space next season?

I think they traded 50 cents for 2 quarters and retained to do it. Brutal.

But it’s ok. Free agents will want to sign there and take discounts because the GM showed he’s a stand up guy by deliberately getting jobbed.

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
I realy understand that Pittsburgh are tryin there best for the old core. They deserve it. The put the rebuild on hold and i dont think fans or management got any complains about that.

I have never liked Pittsburgh for some , even for me , unknown reason.
This time i am rooting for you. If you go against Leafs in the final i offcourse hope Leafs win(the odds for both teams are slimmer than a sliced hair on a fox moth caterpillar), but other than that... Go Pens!
First of all, the chances for a leafs vs pens cup final should be about zero since they play in the same conference. The chances for them meeting in a conference final is not likely but far from impossible.

That would be a though one to watch since one of the two teams I hate most would reach the cup final. Guess that is pretty much the only scenario I would root for pens...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad