Confirmed Trade: [MTL/PIT/SJS] Karlsson, Pitlick, Hamaliuk, SJS'26 3rd to PIT; Granlund, Hoffman, Rutta, PIT'24 1st to SJS; Petry, DeSmith, Legare, PIT'25 2nd to MTL

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
I don't see any basis for claiming that "no one is taking Hoffman at 50%".

I also don't see how Montreal, who sucks, gets any sort of value out of getting rid of a bad player. If Montreal was a good team and they needed the cap space to make a move (like Pittsburgh did with Granlund and Petry), I'd be more willing to listen to that argument. But they're not, they're just a bad team.

I don't see how you can equate a bad team getting out of a bad deal to a good team getting out of a bad deal. The difference in positions for each team fundamentally changes the value there.
You probably don't value providing your young promissing forwards with an opportunity to play for a rebuilding team, but we do.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Where do you even start with a thread like this? Some people have so much hatred towards a team that they can't even look at what's right in front of them.

Firstly, if I recall correctly, the issue with Hoffman was his wife, not him, so I don't know where this "cancer" stuff came from.

As to the question of needing to get rid of him and the salary cap and all that, it's very simple. As it stands right now, even with Price's contract included, the Habs need to shed just 3.77 million to get under the cap meaning nobody on LTIR. Starting the year with nobody on LTIR is always better when it comes to in season flexibility but also bonuses that need to be paid out at the end of the year. If you don't understand why, ask Boston fans.

And yes, it's one less forward that needs to get ice time meaning more for younger players.

For the deal(s) itself, they're ok. Montreal basically got the high end value from Pittsburgh rather than Detroit. Habs fans were making the assumption, like we did with Monahan, that IF things went the way we hoped, we'd be able to maximize value and get a higher end asset for them. Clearly the aspect of hypothetical perfect scenarios in the future is lost on some of the big brained people in here.

Most fans were thinking that if he were to be traded before the year started, he'd get roughly a 3rd rounder compared to a better pick if it were at the deadline. Considering he was traded for 1 round less but with a player on top of it, I'd say the expectation was pretty accurate.

With regards to Hughes, again, the deal isn't phenomenal by any stretch of the imagination but it's still a pretty good deal considering we got the two picks and the cap flexibility and we'll see what happens with Desmith as well.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I think they traded 50 cents for 2 quarters and retained to do it. Brutal.

But it’s ok. Free agents will want to sign there and take discounts because the GM showed he’s a stand up guy by deliberately getting jobbed.

Adding a 2nd round pick+ while giving up nothing of value from their organization is the same as them doing nothing? Sens gave up the same amount to get rid of Zaitsev last year and Hawks had to actually keep him. Habs get arguably more in return for much less cap hit.

We had a doing nothing GM who hated complicated trades last decade. He sat on 5-10 mil capspace in the first few years and sat on his hands waiting.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Adding a 2nd round pick+ while giving up nothing of value from their organization is the same as them doing nothing? Sens gave up the same amount to get rid of Zaitsev last year and Hawks had to actually keep him. Habs get arguably more in return for much less cap hit.

We had a doing nothing GM who hated complicated trades last decade. He sat on 5-10 mil capspace in the first few years and sat on his hands waiting.
MB wasn't a doing nothing GM. But he was incapable of working out cap ramifications (and had no dept to do it for him) so he could never have worked out the trades HuGo have made.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That’s interesting.
Back to EK on the Pens. Does having EK to play PP1 and cherry 5 on 5 zone starts, free up Letang to play more PK and hard matchup (5 on 5) minutes?

Was curious what people were even still talking about in here. Turns out it's mostly just sniping back and forth about Cups and stuff.

But this bit is the part that'll be really interesting to me. I'm very curious how this whole trade impacts both Letang and Karlsson.

We saw it with San Jose...when they tried to have Karlsson and Burns at the same time, it worked absolutely catastrophically. It was just too hard to get them both the minutes to thrive.

Letang is built different from Burns though. He's actually entirely capable of handling heavy matchup minutes. So maybe it does still work in a sense. But it still feels like the Penguin doubled up on a similar-ish sort of RHD skillset. There's some redundancy built into that. Not sure how they get around some of that.

Reactions: malcb33

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Was curious what people were even still talking about in here. Turns out it's mostly just sniping back and forth about Cups and stuff.

But this bit is the part that'll be really interesting to me. I'm very curious how this whole trade impacts both Letang and Karlsson.

We saw it with San Jose...when they tried to have Karlsson and Burns at the same time, it worked absolutely catastrophically. It was just too hard to get them both the minutes to thrive.

Letang is built different from Burns though. He's actually entirely capable of handling heavy matchup minutes. So maybe it does still work in a sense. But it still feels like the Penguin doubled up on a similar-ish sort of RHD skillset. There's some redundancy built into that. Not sure how they get around some of that.
It worked fine when the Sharks had talent. It wasn’t too difficult to get them the minutes. Their problem was they never replaced the depth they lost after extending Karlsson.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
But it still feels like the Penguin doubled up on a similar-ish sort of RHD skillset.

Not really Letang is and has been awful on the PP. The pens have not had a PP quarterback since Gonchar left. Karlsson is an insane upgrade on that.

Letang is really strong at even strength though and can PK.

At EVS Letang will still be with Sid.
Karlsson will be with Geno.

Letang on top PK
Karlsson on top pp

Plenty of minutes for both and it will actually help reduce letangs minutes which is good.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Not really Letang is and has been awful on the PP. The pens have not had a PP quarterback since Gonchar left. Karlsson is an insane upgrade on that.

Letang is really strong at even strength though and can PK.

At EVS Letang will still be with Sid.
Karlsson will be with Geno.

Letang on top PK
Karlsson on top pp

Plenty of minutes for both and it will actually help reduce letangs minutes which is good.

I’ve seen a lot of people talk about Karlsson on the PP, but it’s not really his forte either. No doubt he’s better than Letang there, but like Letang, his offensive strengths are 5v5 where things are more free flowing

Reactions: NyQuil

mephisto1812

Mar 28, 2013
What does any of this have to do with the Rangers?

My stance is simple. I think the Penguins decision to double down on making runs with their aging core is a bad idea. As a Ranger fan, I have a lot of experience seeing how this plays out.
I get your opinion and appreciate where it comes from. From my perspective, the core 3 are almost done, and management pushed their chips in to give them one more push. It's all you can ask for as a fan, no matter the results.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
i dont think this trade is going to move the needle much for pittsburgh. maybe gets them back in the 2nd round. but as long as you have crosby you have to go for it imo.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I get your opinion and appreciate where it comes from. From my perspective, the core 3 are almost done, and management pushed their chips in to give them one more push. It's all you can ask for as a fan, no matter the results.
And if that is what ownership wants then there is no point questioning the GM.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Reports from the workouts are EK is doing really well and the players are seeing how much he is driven to succeed. Pens have a far better roster sans Carter and Jarry if healthy is a very good goalie. Seems the interest if any in Tatar is just not there currently. tight cap will be an issue unless Pens make some move here.

Reactions: domaug

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
i dont think this trade is going to move the needle much for pittsburgh. maybe gets them back in the 2nd round. but as long as you have crosby you have to go for it imo.
It’ll get them to the playoffs which gives their guys another crack at the Cup. I think that’s all most want to accomplish with this deal seeing as they didn’t have to give up much to make it happen.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Where do you even start with a thread like this? Some people have so much hatred towards a team that they can't even look at what's right in front of them.

Firstly, if I recall correctly, the issue with Hoffman was his wife, not him, so I don't know where this "cancer" stuff came from.

As to the question of needing to get rid of him and the salary cap and all that, it's very simple. As it stands right now, even with Price's contract included, the Habs need to shed just 3.77 million to get under the cap meaning nobody on LTIR. Starting the year with nobody on LTIR is always better when it comes to in season flexibility but also bonuses that need to be paid out at the end of the year. If you don't understand why, ask Boston fans.

And yes, it's one less forward that needs to get ice time meaning more for younger players.

For the deal(s) itself, they're ok. Montreal basically got the high end value from Pittsburgh rather than Detroit. Habs fans were making the assumption, like we did with Monahan, that IF things went the way we hoped, we'd be able to maximize value and get a higher end asset for them. Clearly the aspect of hypothetical perfect scenarios in the future is lost on some of the big brained people in here.

Most fans were thinking that if he were to be traded before the year started, he'd get roughly a 3rd rounder compared to a better pick if it were at the deadline. Considering he was traded for 1 round less but with a player on top of it, I'd say the expectation was pretty accurate.

With regards to Hughes, again, the deal isn't phenomenal by any stretch of the imagination but it's still a pretty good deal considering we got the two picks and the cap flexibility and we'll see what happens with Desmith as well.
Enough said.:cheers:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad