Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Habs sign Cole Caufield to ELC (3 years, $880.833k AAV)

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Been a while since I've been excited about watching a prospect. Probably Galchenyuk. Hope they give Caufield a proper chance however.

My bet is that one day we'll look back at this thread and you'll have a star next to your name.
We will see

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
Anyone wanna make a bet? I bet Caufield doesn’t crack 20 points in nhl and/or plays more then 150 games.

He looked like he couldn’t even crack team Canada’s roster in the u20s
You're 100% correct because he's American. Funny how he did crack the gold medal winning US team though :rolleyes:

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Ohh really? He scored at an elite rate at the world juniors? the most important tournament for a U20 player? What year was this?

Puujlarvi lit up the WJC, look wherr that got him

Little early on a Sunday to be drunk texting buddy

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Do you mean over his career? If so I'll take the 20 point bet. Avatar choice for 6 months?

Edit: Not sure how much you've actually watched him, he never played for Canada....

Caufield was the worse player on the Canadian Junior team. THE WORSE!!

(Shhhhh...don't tell him.)

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Kid has scored at every level. Can he translate to the nhl? I have my doubts he’s just way to tiny. I could be wrong tho. Good luck to him

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

Not defending him, but for all you know he works nights and to him this is his evening...and as for what day of week it is, what does that matter anymore

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Excited to see how this plays out....he's the definition of a boom/bust prospect, if he can score at the NHL and find room on the ice, than he is going to be a very special player, consistent 40 goal scorer for sure.

My money is on he pans out.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Excited to see how this plays out....he's the definition of a boom/bust prospect, if he can score at the NHL and find room on the ice, than he is going to be a very special player, consistent 40 goal scorer for sure.

My money is on he pans out.

One never truly knows for certain about any player. I think it's worth noting a few things. One, while there may be aspects of the competition that is/are thinner than CHL hockey, in college his playing against more physically mature players. Even in the loss to Bemidji, he showed he's hardly weak on his skates. Two, imo he improved his play making this year. He showed he can create for others as well as for himself. Three, I'll be shocked if he doesn't win the Hobey Baker award as a 20 year old sophomore. Looking at winners going back to 2010, the average age is 22 and they're either juniors or seniors. Eichel is the outlier as a 19 year old freshman. I know people like to throw shade at the HB winners and their lack of success, but the fact Caufield is going to do this at 2o and not 22 is meaningful. Going back to 1981, no one won it more than once. Had he chosen to stay another year, I think it's conceivable he might have.

Reactions: HabsAddict

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I have watched many habs prospects through the years (go back to the 90s) and I have never seen quite a player like him offensively. He is so elusive and his ability to shot from anywhere on the ice is very special. I mean we all know about his shot but what is the shock for me is his goalscorer mentality. In many games you look at the stats sheet and you see that Caufield had 10+ shots on goal.. like constantly. And yes opponents were cheating on him to to prevent him for shooting and he was still doing it routinely. I am quite excited to see how it will translate to the AHL and eventually to the NHL. I don't see as much bust potential as other other than injuries. I think it is possible he is not as effective against seasoned pro but he will adjust but players like him are unique, he has been a lethal scorer everywhere he has been and since he was a kid. I have no worry he will figure out to score in the NHL.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
apologies neutral, impartial and objective fan. I didn't realize 7 points in 12 games was lousy. Keep up the good work 'ohh really'
In the world juniors being spoon fed top 6 minutes and top pp time in the very least it is very underwhelming especially considering his other teammates stats.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
You're 100% correct because he's American. Funny how he did crack the gold medal winning US team though :rolleyes:
Just because Zegras and Knight carried the USA to a medal doesn’t mean he’d take a spot on a deep team Canada roster.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

Puljujarvi lit up the tournament and still isn’t a impact player ( his future is looking brighter now tho ) now you gotta admit a player who doesn’t light it up has a very little chance of being a impact player

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Puljujarvi lit up the tournament and still isn’t a impact player ( his future is looking brighter now tho ) now you gotta admit a player who doesn’t light it up has a very little chance of being a impact player
You are so right, tell that to MacKinnon! What a bum!

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Anyone wanna make a bet? I bet Caufield doesn’t crack 20 points in nhl and/or plays more then 150 games.

He looked like he couldn’t even crack team Canada’s roster in the u20s
Name your price. I’m down for any price USD/CAD.

We’ll have a HFBoards mod or admin middleman the deal.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Last time I checked Mackinnon didn’t play his D+1 season...he was already in the NHL and playing in the WC
So that's your argument?
How about Brock Boeser? Or Elias Petterson? Or Nick Suzuki? Or Mikko Rantanen? Or Nikolaj Ehlers, and the list goes on and on...

The WJC is a small tournament with no repercussion what so ever in a player NHL career. Other than being a nice opportunity to showcase some players talent it is hardly the difference maker to make or break a career as you are making out to be. If anything it can create false expectation to some players that dominated in that tournament.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I know even the Hawks met with him and took him out too... and that's when the Hawks were picking third and took Dach ultimately

have to think buffalo made a mistake at 7OA picking cozens. he's a fine player and all but they could have had a sniper parked next to eichel for his career. not sure what the thinking was picking another center when they already had reinhardt and middlelstat on the depth chart. it was just odd picking a forward who almost always is going to be playing away from your franchise center
cant be saying that. nobody "made a mistake" passing on someone who hasnt even seen pro games let alone NHL games.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
So that's your argument?
How about Brock Boeser? Or Elias Petterson? Or Nick Suzuki? Or Mikko Rantanen? Or Nikolaj Ehlers, and the list goes on and on...

The WJC is a small tournament with no repercussion what so ever in a player NHL career. Other than being a nice opportunity to showcase some players talent it is hardly the difference maker to make or break a career as you are making out to be. If anything it can create false expectation to some players that dominated in that tournament.
That is true but if you looked at Caufields play there it was extremely disappointing both years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad