Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CGY] Sean Monahan and conditional 2024/25/26 1st round pick for future considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Where did I say he was good defensively? He’s not. I wouldn’t dispute anything you said in your previous response. I do think he’s showing flashes of what made him an offensive threat in Calgary and that’s promising.

If he was scoring at a 60+ point pace, winning faceoffs, and looking reasonable on the defensive side, we could talk about a team bringing him in as a rental for a 2C spot. It’s way too early though.
I just don’t think he slots in as a #2C on a contender cause his d game is so weak. Second line scoring winger for sure if he stays healthy and keeps scoring

I suppose Monahan flat out stating that this is the first time in four years that he can skate without pain and discomfort in his hips isn't enough for him.
lol I don’t believe him. He and the Flames really failed on managing his health. I think Monahan should have been taught to complain earlier and not be a soldier. Guy is too committed haha

• Wow
Reactions: murrough

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Sorry to have intruded on this thread by accident. But, I had no idea I had left the GDT I started on, because of the new big squarish, "feature" at the bottom of every forum page, the "You might Also Like" thread advertising links, the bottom three of which sit really too close to the page's thread page links. So, while watching my game, and my current page dropped behind where the thread then was, and I needed to move to the latest page, and I tried to click on the final thread page, I hit the "You Might Like" thread's link button a hair'sbreadth above it. I guess I should have wondered why the last 5 or 6 posts were only by me. But, I was too busy to notice that because I was watching my game.

Sometimes added features the Forum Administrators THINK forum users would like might not be liked by all members.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Flames were well on their way to losing this trade, but there’s good news, Lindholm has replaced what Monahan brought them last year.

Reactions: 26Mats

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Seems to be a trade that worked for both teams..............Flames got Kadri, and the habs got a decent 2C for the season, and a 1st rd pick..............and the potential of another, 1st rd pick at this years deadline.....
Monahan has ben pretty decent for the habs...............would they consider keeping him? Not likely....

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
would they consider keeping him? Not likely....
Depends on the pick and how much money Monahan wants. He's always going to be a risk. He's got injury history. So if he wants long term security, it'll have to be cheap. Under $4M. He could try to keep getting paid though, but he'd have to take shorter deals.

If a team offers a 1st this year? He's gone. This draft is too deep for a rebuilding team but to take it. If it's a future 1st? I think they really consider keeping him. He's still young. A 5 year, $20M deal would be rock solid for both sides.

I think a lot of teams are going to be skeptical of moving a 1st this year since even late round picks will give you a prospect that you'd normally see the Top-10.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Seems to be a trade that worked for both teams..............Flames got Kadri, and the habs got a decent 2C for the season, and a 1st rd pick..............and the potential of another, 1st rd pick at this years deadline.....
Monahan has ben pretty decent for the habs...............would they consider keeping him? Not likely....

I’m not really sure how it is worth it to pay a 1st round pick to get a 32 C signed for 7 years.

It’s a really short term look

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Interesting season for the habs so far! I liked what i saw from Monahan, especially with Suzuki and Caufield. I am curious as to the plan for him in Mtl - if that is to maximize his value to get maximum return at the TDL, then i am confused as to why he is constantly moved around and put on lines with less talented players. I mean, the way he is playing, we should showcase him as other contracts like Drou, Hoff and Armia will be much harder to move and may have negative value.

This makes me wonder just how much we are in "rebuild" and how much weight is put on winning at this point. Sure, winning and maintaining a good attitude helps with the culture, but is there a chance to make the playoffs? I'd be totally OK with training a Monahan (lets say he has value) in a deal that includes a "savard-type" player that can mentor the kids, especially if there are futures included.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
If Monahan returns a 1st at the tdl, the habs would have essentially received two 1st round picks for free, which is insane.
They could use those picks to acquire Dubois even.
Hopefully he also helps them finish around 19th overall. I'll go on record saying there is no way he gets a 1st, although he has rebuilt some value. Maybe a later pick from Columbus.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Depends on the pick and how much money Monahan wants. He's always going to be a risk. He's got injury history. So if he wants long term security, it'll have to be cheap. Under $4M. He could try to keep getting paid though, but he'd have to take shorter deals.

If a team offers a 1st this year? He's gone. This draft is too deep for a rebuilding team but to take it. If it's a future 1st? I think they really consider keeping him. He's still young. A 5 year, $20M deal would be rock solid for both sides.

I think a lot of teams are going to be skeptical of moving a 1st this year since even late round picks will give you a prospect that you'd normally see the Top-10.
Monahan will be the FOMO trade. Not a team's first or second target, but when they are gone, they circle back with a 2nd. Provided he is healthy.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
This reminds me of when Cammalleri was with the Flames for the second time around and they were looking to move him at the deadline. No team offered more than a mid round pick and he had 26 goals in 63 games that year. As a result he wasn't moved. The odds of Monahan returning a 1st are next to nil, and I am one of his biggest fans. That's simply a pipedream from a Montreal perspective.

GM's understand the circumstances at play here where Monahan is playing near 18 minutes a night on a very mediocre roster, and he is not exactly lighting the world on fire. He's not going to be viewed as a piece to push a team over the top and as such the market will be slim.

Reactions: TheNumber4

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
This reminds me of when Cammalleri was with the Flames for the second time around and they were looking to move him at the deadline. No team offered more than a mid round pick and he had 26 goals in 63 games that year. As a result he wasn't moved. The odds of Monahan returning a 1st are next to nil, and I am one of his biggest fans. That's simply a pipedream from a Montreal perspective.

GM's understand the circumstances at play here where Monahan is playing near 18 minutes a night on a very mediocre roster, and he is not exactly lighting the world on fire. He's not going to be viewed as a piece to push a team over the top and as such the market will be slim.
this is wrong, he's been very good

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
If Monahan has found a good fit in Montreal, maybe it would be good for both sides to sign an extension?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Flames were well on their way to losing this trade, but there’s good news, Lindholm has replaced what Monahan brought them last year.
The Flames got Kadri
They ain’t losing

Monahan is doing Ok for Montreal because they paid nothing except salary. He would have still been a disaster in Calgary with 2 goals for a 6M+ player

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I hope Monahan has a phenomenal year not just because he seems like a good guy but also because the better he does, the less chance the Habs have of getting Bedard
Well either way… A free 28 year old former ppg center on an expiring contract and a free 1st rnd pick is free. Free is awesome. So are ppg players, centers and 1st round picks. Awesome is awesome.

I think at this point the odds of habs winning the loto again are slim to none anyway.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
The Flames got Kadri
They ain’t losing

Monahan is doing Ok for Montreal because they paid nothing except salary. He would have still been a disaster in Calgary with 2 goals for a 6M+ player
What? He would be fourth on Calgary in scoring right now while playing in a much stronger conference in the strongest division in hockey.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Well either way… A free 28 year old former ppg center on an expiring contract and a free 1st rnd pick is free. Free is awesome. So are ppg players, centers and 1st round picks. Awesome is awesome.

I think at this point the odds of habs winning the loto again are slim to none anyway.

lol interesting use of "free"

Also, he's half a ppg and literally only doing well because he's playing wing, not center. And that's the thing - the Flames quote unquote brain trust didn't have the basic sense to put play Monahan on the wing. So if they had moved Lucic instead for example, Monahan would just be the Flames' 4th line center right now and would likely be pointless.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
lol interesting use of "free"

Also, he's half a ppg and literally only doing well because he's playing wing, not center. And that's the thing - the Flames quote unquote brain trust didn't have the basic sense to put play Monahan on the wing. So if they had moved Lucic instead for example, Monahan would just be the Flames' 4th line center right now and would likely be pointless.
I hear you. Every hab older than 23 sucks up front so he’s actually doing better than most ;) I don’t think we can see this as who won a trade, it’s just bodies and salary moving, really. Two teams in really different places too.

Just because I have a moment he actually has 468pts in 666gp and hit 80pts once (optimistic hab fans hope he slowed down because of an injury that is now ok, who knows…)

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
It wasn't a win trade for Calgary but they had no choice to do it because of the salary cap,

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
Sorry to have intruded on this thread by accident. But, I had no idea I had left the GDT I started on, because of the new big squarish, "feature" at the bottom of every forum page, the "You might Also Like" thread advertising links, the bottom three of which sit really too close to the page's thread page links. So, while watching my game, and my current page dropped behind where the thread then was, and I needed to move to the latest page, and I tried to click on the final thread page, I hit the "You Might Like" thread's link button a hair'sbreadth above it. I guess I should have wondered why the last 5 or 6 posts were only by me. But, I was too busy to notice that because I was watching my game.

Sometimes added features the Forum Administrators THINK forum users would like might not be liked by all members.
Didn't read this, but the feature is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino