Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CGY] Sean Monahan and conditional 2024/25/26 1st round pick for future considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Depends on the pick and how much money Monahan wants. He's always going to be a risk. He's got injury history. So if he wants long term security, it'll have to be cheap. Under $4M. He could try to keep getting paid though, but he'd have to take shorter deals.

If a team offers a 1st this year? He's gone. This draft is too deep for a rebuilding team but to take it. If it's a future 1st? I think they really consider keeping him. He's still young. A 5 year, $20M deal would be rock solid for both sides.

I think a lot of teams are going to be skeptical of moving a 1st this year since even late round picks will give you a prospect that you'd normally see the Top-10.
Giving up late first for Monahan, 25+ is good deal for Cup contending team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hopefully he also helps them finish around 19th overall. I'll go on record saying there is no way he gets a 1st, although he has rebuilt some value. Maybe a later pick from Columbus.

Centers and D always return more at the TDL. The challenge here is teams looking for upgrades likely want to add more than one piece. Monahan at 50% retention is still not easy to fit in for most cup contenders.

It appears Monahan is now 100% healthy. He's skating very well for the Habs and he's good on faceoffs. I'm personally not going to get emotionally attached to a 1st rounder but it's very possible.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
The Flames got the space they needed to do what they wanted. Montreal got a player that's fit in nicely and a first. Monahan should net a first at the tdl.

If the Habs decide they want to keep Dach on the RW long term, and they sell off expiring contracts this year, I would consider the thought of bringing Monahan back to mentor and play with the steady influx of youth. At 28, and healthy, I wouldn't be too concerned about a 3-4 year deal.

Reactions: BLONG7

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Flames got the space they needed to do what they wanted. Montreal got a player that's fit in nicely and a first. Monahan should net a first at the tdl.

If the Habs decide they want to keep Dach on the RW long term, and they sell off expiring contracts this year, I would consider the thought of bringing Monahan back to mentor and play with the steady influx of youth. At 28, and healthy, I wouldn't be too concerned about a 3-4 year deal.

I would see what is offered at the deadline. The conversation with Monahan I would have if he wants to stay in Montreal is we will trade you to a contender for a playoff run and we can talk in the off season. If there is a fit, it's in the offseason, not in season.

No disrespect but extending Monahan this season would be a Bergevin move.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I’m not really sure how it is worth it to pay a 1st round pick to get a 32 C signed for 7 years.

It’s a really short term look

I think the Flames GM didn't want the city to be crushed by Gaudreau and Tkachuk both bolting in the same summer. So he did what he had to do to keep the team a playoff team and maybe contender short term and then worry about the future later. Would have been a real blow to the city and it's reputation as a place to attract players if they built up a contender one year, only to have stars leave and be a lottery team the next year. Who would want to sign there knowing that could happen any year? How bad would the city feel?

Having said that, they are in danger of being in no man's land and having bad contracts on hand when Kadri and Huberdeau get deeper into their 30's. The GM will have to make some savy moves to contend now and keep the team float.

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
The guy is having fun playing for montreal scoring at a 60 point pace 2nd line center. Voluntarily films tik toks for the habs PR. Smiling on every shift. Talking about trading him 10 games in GG.

Reactions: Kojo and MoneyManny

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I would see what is offered at the deadline. The conversation with Monahan I would have if he wants to stay in Montreal is we will trade you to a contender for a playoff run and we can talk in the off season. If there is a fit, it's in the offseason, not in season.

No disrespect but extending Monahan this season would be a Bergevin move.
As I said in my first paragraph, I expect him to be traded and he should/could net a first. The second paragraph implies having discussions at the ufa period about a possible contract.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Monahan's 16 points in 23 games would be only behind Lindholm's 17 points in 23 games for the Flames....

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Great trade at the time, looks even better now...

If he comes at a decent price - I am good with MTL keeping him, otherwise I think he returns a first at TDL.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
60 point pace centreman for 3.5M (50% retained) …that’s a 1st round pick at the deadline

Reactions: Chose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad