Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CGY] Sean Monahan and conditional 2024/25/26 1st round pick for future considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So..Sean Monahan isn't a product of Johnny Gaudreau? He just needed a change of scenery.
"1st line center" Sean Monahan was absolutely a product of Gaudreau. But he was capable of ~50 points in his prime if played with other good players.

3 points in 5 game with an ENG isn't exactly lighting it up though.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
I think a team looking for a serviceable 2nd line Center should inquire about Monahan.

A team like Colorado for example.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I think a team looking for a serviceable 2nd line Center should inquire about Monahan.

A team like Colorado for example.

Colorado needs a #2 centre who can drive play and be a playmaker. Not sure Monahan fits that bill. Monahan is an elite sniper, and assuming he's healthy is great at getting into the right position to score. He's not the type of player who's going to carry players like Kaut, Nichushkin, Rodriguez, etc.. If Colorado is willing to separate their top line, maybe, but that would be a pretty big shakeup for them.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
He's not a serviceable 2nd line center on any team that wants to contend. He was healthy for most of last year and struggled as a 4C. He's better as a middle 6 complimentary scoring winger.
Not sure if I've ever seen a player where perception is so out of step with reality as Monahan. He's exactly what you have him pegged as.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
He's not a serviceable 2nd line center on any team that wants to contend. He was healthy for most of last year and struggled as a 4C. He's better as a middle 6 complimentary scoring winger.
I’m not going to comment on value or where he fits in a lineup. He wasn’t healthy last year. He had hip surgery in April. This is a long term injury that’s influenced his play for several years. Watch 30 seconds of him skating last year and then skating today and you’d see why your comment is ill-informed and why posters think he can get back to being a 2C.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I’m not going to comment on value or where he fits in a lineup. He wasn’t healthy last year. He had hip surgery in April. This is a long term injury that’s influenced his play for several years. Watch 30 seconds of him skating last year and then skating today and you’d see why your comment is ill-informed and why posters think he can get back to being a 2C.
He's not a 2C. I watched him last year, he was skating great at the start of the season.

whos to say he isnt worth 2 Firsts at this point
All the GMs in the league.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This is a VERY dishonest stat I always see people break out with no context. The top 1% of earners covers all the way down to people earning 600k a year.

When you go to 10% you're talking people making 132k. A lot of those same people are living near high property value areas where most of that money is eaten up by mortgage, bills, etc. Top 10% is clearly said as a way to try and say "look! The mega rich definitely cover their fair share!" When half the people in that top 10% are not even making a quarter million
It's not dishonest at all. Who thinks the top 10% are mega rich??

Are you saying that he wasn’t injured and his skating was the same as it is this year?
His skating was excellent (for Monahan) to start the season yes.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
It isn’t the skating. He has just always been mediocre on defense. His bread and butter was getting abused in the slot and scoring goals
Pretty tough to do your job well when getting into the slot and playing in traffic relies on skating… playing through a bad hip or LBI is brutal. Skating impacts every facet of the game.

Reactions: viceroy

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
It's not dishonest at all. Who thinks the top 10% are mega rich??

His skating was excellent (for Monahan) to start the season yes.
So you’re sticking with him not actually being injured and that his injury didn’t impact his skating last year? Either you don’t have the skill to evaluate skating or you haven’t taken the ten seconds needed to do a bit of research on this player without posting about him first. Either way it’s pretty awkward.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Pretty tough to do your job well when getting into the slot and playing in traffic relies on skating… playing through a bad hip or LBI is brutal. Skating impacts every facet of the game.
I’m not talking about his injured years. I am talking about all his years of play with the Flames that I have watched since he made the NHL. The knock on him has always been that he is not a two way centre. If was then he would have been a top end #1C before he got injured.
His offensive numbers got crushed cause he got too slow to get the to right spot and I think his wrist took longer to heal than expected and his shot became a muffin.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Lol neither have you. Why are you so certain he is good on the defensive side of the game.
Where did I say he was good defensively? He’s not. I wouldn’t dispute anything you said in your previous response. I do think he’s showing flashes of what made him an offensive threat in Calgary and that’s promising.

If he was scoring at a 60+ point pace, winning faceoffs, and looking reasonable on the defensive side, we could talk about a team bringing him in as a rental for a 2C spot. It’s way too early though.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
So you’re sticking with him not actually being injured and that his injury didn’t impact his skating last year? Either you don’t have the skill to evaluate skating or you haven’t taken the ten seconds needed to do a bit of research on this player without posting about him first. Either way it’s pretty awkward.

I suppose Monahan flat out stating that this is the first time in four years that he can skate without pain and discomfort in his hips isn't enough for him. Whiskey has, and will always, sell Monahan short. I think you should just accept that. A 100% healthy Monahan is a very good hockey player, now whether or not he can get to that point on a consistent basis moving forward is another question, but I truly hope he does, and this is a good start.

I don't think people understand just how razor thin the line is at the NHL level between being a productive top six guy, and a middling tweener forward.

Reactions: viceroy and Draft

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I suppose Monahan flat out stating that this is the first time in four years that he can skate without pain and discomfort in his hips isn't enough for him. Whiskey has, and will always, sell Monahan short. I think you should just accept that. A 100% healthy Monahan is a very good hockey player, now whether or not he can get to that point on a consistent basis moving forward is another question, but I truly hope he does, and this is a good start.

I don't think people understand just how razor thin the line is at the NHL level between being a productive top six guy, and a middling tweener forward.
Agreed, this was always a redemption tour for monahan, the reason the flames traded him is they couldn't bank on him not being healthy this year and went for the guarantee in Kadri Instead. Monahan has had a good start and he's been a great compliment to Suzuki and Caufield on the top line but will see if he can stay healthy.
Is Monahan playing C or W for Habs?
He's played a combo, Generally in most recent games its been wing with Suzuki and Caufield though, but theres been a consensus that if Dach isn't having a good game in the dot they'll sub monahan in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad