Confirmed Trade: [MTL/ARI] Christian Dvorak for 2022 1st round pick and 2024 2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If your ideology lets you believe Kotkaniemi was happy signing a 2m bridge deal you’re too far gone to argue with.

Total nonsense.
Also no other RFAs are unsigned this off-season or have gone unsigned all the way until, uh, August 28th so it’s outrageous that Kotkaniemi was still unsigned.

Also because MB should assumed Carolina was hunting him like a dog he should have 4D chess guessed this move is coming, even though we haven’t seen the “one year massive overpay for struggling RFA that other team wants & thinks has upside & thinks they can work around massive overpay in future while current team can’t or won’t try, while publicly mocking the shit out of them” offer-sheet gambit ever.

The last thing resembling it was the Flyers giving Ryan Kessler a 1 year/1.9m offer sheet on Sept 12th 2006 which was matched. And yes, other GMs were pissed because they were worried the bigger salary could potentially effect future RFA signings as they still were totally into not paying RFAs anything at the time.

Perhaps this is this the sort of hypothetical NHL management types discuss over drinks but, to me, while Bergevin has made potential missteps or questionable moves, not preparing for the potential 6.1m Kotkaniemi offer sheet isn’t one of them.

And yes, the Habs did seem like were kind of dumping on him (after rushing him to the NHL) but they were planning to get their grumbling RFA with no arbitration rights to take roughly whatever deal they offering, like every other NHL team does. It wasn’t going to help long term relationships but again, no one expects the Spanish Inquisition. (or whatever.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeune Poulet

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
if they get elias and quinn signed they'll be back in the playoffs for sure . there a lot better than they showed last year because of covid
Well it’s a garbage division and Quinn is an overrated player. Vegas and the Oil are way ahead of them. They’ll need to be better than just Seattle, Calgary and the Kings as I think San Jose and Anaheim will be very bad. Both Wild cards come from the central.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
When we got Domi from Arizona we traded a former 3rd overall pick for him and people laughed when I said he was a 1c.

Dvorak is better than Domi,, and was traded for a former 3rd overall player. dont be surprised when DeeVo has 70 points this season

pin this if you want

LOL! Your posts in this thread sure are something.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
peaked just short but with the solid young core and awesome prospects there will be a bright future . not like some teams who have a core of players in their 30's getting paid big dollars for what they've done and not what there gonna do as they decline
Face it the Habs blew their one chance in spectacular fashion. Who are these awesome prospects? I see mediocrity in perpetuity in your future.

Reactions: amethyst

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
“Thank you for helping me (Bergevin) realize and acknowledge that I drafted a mega bust 3 OA in 2018? and thanks for the low first round pick to help me have a lesser chance to replace him? I’m the same guy that drafted KK and my odd pick in 2021”.

Weird thank you note.
More like...

Dear Donny,

Thank you for taking KK off our hands because so far, for a #3 OAL , he's been a bit of a bust. And thank you for giving us a 1st and a 3rd to take him off our hands. We used the 1st to trade for a superior Dvorak... and of course we still have another 1st to use in a very good draft in 2022. What are your plans for the 1st round in 2022? I'm also sure we'll put your 3rd to good use. Your 3rd now gives us three 3rd round picks. Maybe we'll be able to trade a couple of those to get another 2nd in that very good 2022 draft.

Best wishes,
Bergy

P.S. How's your cap situation now that you are paying KK that ridiculous $6.1 salary?Does your boss Tommy know you have to offer KK $6.1M next year to keep him from walking as a UFA? Anyways.... I hope KK works out for you although it seems like a risky gamble to me. I was never going to pay him anything close to what you guys are.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Most people missing the real point here and it’s not the cost of KK or Dvorak - it’s good theatre but the entire point was that MB as steward/custodian left his business in a such vulnerable position that an outside entity, a competitor no less essentially dictated his emergency moves response and impacted his end product in an unplanned manner. That gentlemen is a fireable event for cause.

This is a nothing take on the situation.

Kk can't be forced to sign no matter what Bergevin wanted.

A lot of twisting and turning to take potshots....but no real content or logic.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This is a good move by MTL. I am surprised that Dvorak went for what amounts to a mid/late a 2024 2nd, and some cap space....it's not like Dvorak is overpaid.

NylanderBros

Jun 22, 2014
Sudbury, Ont
So what’s the word on these pick they gave up, are they lottery protected? I don’t think montreal will be close to a playoff spot in that division unless there is another playoff bubble and they let 24 teams in again. Carolina also lost there top defence man and both of their goaltenders and got worst while majority of there division got better. Imagine the yotes drafting top 5 in montreal next summer

NylanderBros

Jun 22, 2014
Sudbury, Ont
Dvorak took a big step back this season after they took him off a line with garland, this is a big gamble if those picks aren’t lottery protected

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
This is a good move by MTL. I am surprised that Dvorak went for what amounts to a mid/late a 2024 2nd, and some cap space....it's not like Dvorak is overpaid.

Did you miss the part where Arizona gets the better of the two #1 picks when no other team would offer a first?

Could be as high as second overall.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Dvorak is basically just Colorado kerfoot. Can’t believe how overrated he’s become.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Did you miss the part where Arizona gets the better of the two #1 picks when no other team would offer a first?

Could be as high as second overall.
You think that either MTL or CAR is going to finish well out of the playoffs next year?:huh:

- and isn't the 1st top 10 protected?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Dvorak is basically just Colorado kerfoot. Can’t believe how overrated he’s become.

It's mainly because most of these Habs fans haven't watched him play. They claim he's been getting third line minutes and will thrive with Montreal's offense and more minutes...

Meanwhile, I pointed out that Dvorak got more minutes than every forward on both Arizona and Montreal, and they stopped responding. :laugh:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You think that either MTL or CAR is going to finish well out of the playoffs next year?:huh:

No, but it's a possibility.

I don't think Montreal makes the playoffs. I think that pick is in the 11-20 range. I'm saying it can be as high as #2, although extremely unlikely.

It's rare that a team doesn't lottery protect a pick like that. Montreal only protected one from the lottery, but if both are in then Arizona are getting a pretty high pick.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
More excuses. Nashville also gave up more goals than they scored last season AND the season before, along with Columbus and Calgary.

How about another number: Montreal had the 2nd best possession stats in the league. That's considered a key indicator of playoff teams.

I don't understand what the point of this argument is. You must realize there are examples of weak divisions/weak stats/injuries almost every year. Want to go back season by season and disqualify past playoff teams based on random definitions? Good luck. Until then, Habs earned a playoff spot and earned being in the SCF, just like plenty of unexpected teams did before them.

Congratulations, your barely .500 team that won 24 games squeaked into the playoffs on the back of pandemic shaped divisions and got hot/lucky at the right time. Nashville won 31 games and was a plus 2, not a minus last season.

The point is, in a regular season, Montreal misses out on the playoffs and clearly. They're behind Tampa, Boston, Florida, and Toronto in just their own division. They didn't " earn " a spot this year, more like lucked into it.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said here. I just have to wonder how many more chances Bergevin has. His leash should be tied around his neck three times by now.
Believe me, every single habs fan (at least on HFBoards) has wondered the same things. If he was a cat, he would have already burned through 3 cycles and on his 4th cycle of nine lives.
Course, now that we went to the finals, well, he probably has a lifetime supply of nine lives...

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Last season...

Montreal wont make the playoffs

Montreal will get slaughtered by Toronto

Montreal will lose to the Jets

Montreal will be wiped out by the Knights

How's that track record holding up?

From the very same people who are now saying...Montreal wont make the playoffs. :popcorn:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
No, but it's a possibility.

I don't think Montreal makes the playoffs. I think that pick is in the 11-20 range. I'm saying it can be as high as #2, although extremely unlikely.

It's rare that a team doesn't lottery protect a pick like that. Montreal only protected one from the lottery, but if both are in then Arizona are getting a pretty high pick.
The chances of both ARI and MTL finishing 12th or lower in the draft order are infinitesimal. You seem to be going put of your way to paint this as a bad deal, for whatever reason. I am not a fan of either team....trading one year of KK at 6.1M for 4 x4.5M of Dvorak seems like a great deal to me.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
So this could be the 2nd overall pick worst case? Definitely still a gamble should’ve taken the contract and see what they got in this kid, never gave him a fair chance and rushed him into the league

Yes but the idea that carolina and montreal will be lottery teams is stupid

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The chances of both ARI and MTL finishing 12th or lower in the draft order are infinitesimal. You seem to be going put of your way to paint this as a bad deal, for whatever reason. I am not a fan of either team....trading one year of KK at 6.1M for 4 x4.5M of Dvorak seems like a great deal to me.

Why do both need to finish 12th or lower? What are you talking about?

If they're both over top 10, Arizona gets the higher pick (lower in draft order - higher as in more valuable).

So if Montreal is 11, and Carolina is 32 - Arizona gets 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad