Confirmed Trade: [MTL/ARI] Christian Dvorak for 2022 1st round pick and 2024 2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I like Dvorak. A definite upgrade over Kotkaniemi. I suspect Bergevin is writing a thank you note to Waddell as we speak.

I’d like to hear from Yote fans and anyone who’s regularly watched Dvorak play, as to what kind of upside he has. I’ve seen several posters suggest he’s just a vanilla 2C while several others are adamant that he can be more productive as a Hab. Which is it and why? Thx in advance for any feedback.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Funny how they did beat those other teams
A glass slipper?

The only thing that run did for them is price Danault out of Montreal. They're also paying a fourth liner $3.4m for the next four seasons. Montreal didn't even benefit from the gate revenue.

I'm mean, if you're happy with your GM making reactionary trades hoping to catch lightning in a bottle, have at 'er. Montreal looks poised to miss in the Atlantic and the majority of their core is pushing 30 if they're not already well into them.

Last edited:

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
I would like to see Montreal and Carolina in the Stanley Cup. But an unlikely situation may arise. Both teams miss the playoffs.
For example, Montreal gets the OA7 in the 2022 draft. Carolina gets the OA9. Or Montreal gets OA9 in 2022 for example. Carolina gets OA11.

“Conditions: The better of Montreal/Carolina's 2022 1st round pick BUT if either or both are top 10 picks then Montreal will instead transfer to Arizona the worse of Montreal/Carolina's 2022 1st round pick” CapFriendly.

Montreal gives Carolina the worst choice. Does this happen before or after the lottery? If before the lottery - there is a small opportunity to laugh. For example, Montreal gets the OA7 in the 2022 draft. Carolina gets the OA9. Montreal gives Carolina OA9. Carolina wins the lottery. I would laugh. :laugh:

Although Carolina's chances of making the playoffs are very good. Montreal's chances are less. But they are. Many underestimate the likely progress of young players: Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Alexander Romanov. Joining the Christian Dvorak team.
Time will show. :popcorn:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Arizona is going to take your draft pick not the canes
Its not my draft pick...its Montreal's pick... or it could the Canes pick... depends on where Montreal and Carolina finish in the standings.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A glass slipper?

The only thing that run did for them is price Danault out of Montreal. They're also paying a fourth liner $3.4m for the next four seasons. Montreal didn't even benefit from the gate revenue.

I'm mean, if you're happy with your GM making reactionary trades hoping that he catch lightning in a bottle, have at 'er. Montreal looks poised to miss in the Atlantic and the majority of their core is pushing 30 if they're not already well into them.

You gotta love posts like this. As if there is zero value to winning hockey games. Much better to lose and get better value contracts. :laugh::laugh:

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
A glass slipper?

I'm mean, if you're happy with your GM making reactionary trades hoping that he catch lightning in a bottle, have at 'er. Montreal looks poised to miss in the Atlantic and the majority of their core is pushing 30 if they're not already well into them.
I am happy not to pay Danault $5.5mill for six years. He is a great third liners but brings little offence.
I am ok paying a UFA winger who is 6’3” , can play up and down the lineup, plays power play and is a great pk man.
The topcentre is 22, top winger is 20. Lots of depth a a big pipeline of prospects. Despite drafting poorly in the first round Bergy has reacted has a good second line centre in Dvorak who last year was tied for 19th in goals by a centre and was tied for 32nd for centre position points. Another reaction was acquiring Anderson who is a 20 goal scorer who scares and hits like a freight train. Thank god for his reactions.

Reactions: admiralcadillac

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Considering there’s a decent chance Montreal is picking in the 10-15 range, this deal could look ugly

I have to assume he's hoping they finish bottom ten or playoffs. Its not so bad if he manage to get out of this with a pick in the 22 range.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
The only thing that run did for them is price Danault out of Montreal. They're also paying a fourth liner $3.4m for the next four seasons.

I know you probably think it's going to be badass and strengthen your point when you call Armia a 4th liner but it doesn't. You just look like you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Its not my draft pick...its Montreal's pick... or it could the Canes pick... depends on where Montreal and Carolina finish in the standings.
I’m guessing Montreal’s pick will be 13th-19th overall. The type of prospects usually in that range are like Schneider, Harley, Mercer, Krebs, Reichel, Newhook, Guhle, Caufield, Amirov, York, Holloway, Knight, Jarvis, and Boldy. I’d have been thrilled to trade Dvorak for 4/5 of those guys. Even without a 2nd rounder. Even if we had to eat a camp dump to get them.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
A glass slipper?

I'm mean, if you're happy with your GM making reactionary trades hoping to catch lightning in a bottle, have at 'er. Montreal looks poised to miss in the Atlantic and the majority of their core is pushing 30 if they're not already well into them.

They’re a bubble team to me. They might make the playoffs, they may not. They’re not elite, nor are they terrible. Even if they make the playoffs, there’s a good chance they get bounced in round 1.

Unless they play Toronto again.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I’d like to hear from Yote fans and anyone who’s regularly watched Dvorak play, as to what kind of upside he has. I’ve seen several posters suggest he’s just a vanilla 2C while several others are adamant that he can be more productive as a Hab. Which is it and why? Thx in advance for any feedback.

He is pretty vanilla, but in the sense that he not flashy. Just pretty solid all around. Wins more face offs than he loses. Always a good effort. Great in the shootout. Responsible defense. His point totals have increased every year. A lot will depend on the opportunities he's given in MTL.

He's got the personality of a stump tho. No emotions. Ever. Doesn't even crack half a smile or celebrate after scoring a goal haha! I think MTL fans will like him.

Reactions: Runner77

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

I mean, I really like KK and I always thought he would be a great 2C for the Habs, but I do think Dvorak might be better in the near future even if he doesn’t have a better career.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
It was an overpay on Dvorak but could have been tons worse all things considered . Yotes had Bergevin over a barrel . Look at what Sakic paid for a goalie after he put himself in a vulnerable spot being almost desperate to fill a position.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
It was an overpay on Dvorak but could have been tons worse all things considered . Yotes had Bergevin over a barrel . Look at what Sakic paid for a goalie after he put himself in a vulnerable spot being almost desperate to fill a position.

How much of an overpay? What do you mean? People say this as if there was a definite marker for the value of Dvorak. Apparently it was Romanov + for the past month. If you’re going to tell me you expected a 2nd rounder for a 25 year old 2C, not sure I’d agree.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Less then 2 minutes difference in average icetime per game, without powerplay time, what's your point?

So are we removing all of Dvorak's PP goals or just the ice time but the stats still count? If we look at even-strength goals, then Dvorak's career high in goals is 13 goals by the way, the same as Danault. Scored in Dvorak's rookie/2nd season.

In fact, in 19-20 season, they scored the same number of ES goals. So to act like Dvorak is some sort of prominent goal scorer versus Danault, it's not true. He needs the PP to score goals, which Danault was not given. Dvorak also plays more, even without PP time.

That's my point.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
How much of an overpay? What do you mean? People say this as if there was a definite marker for the value of Dvorak. Apparently it was Romanov + for the past month. If you’re going to tell me you expected a 2nd rounder for a 25 year old 2C, not sure I’d agree.

I mean... when you're the only team that offered a first round pick and the opposing GM laughs about being lucky to get a 1st because of the offersheet, you probably overpaid.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’d say slight overpayment . I would have thought mid first would have done it

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Let me guess, this Molson guy was the son of a son of someone? They tend to view performance issues differently than their forebears who had to build the company
Lol, something like that. Geoff Molson is from the Molson family that started the Molson Brewing company founded in 1786, now called Molson Coors Beverage Company. So yeah, son of a son of a son of a...well, sorry, someone will need to figure this out for me but no idea how many sons till you get to John Molson who started it all...lol.

So yeah, they certainly look at life differently from us mere normal mortals ;)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They’re a bubble team to me. They might make the playoffs, they may not. They’re not elite, nor are they terrible. Even if they make the playoffs, there’s a good chance they get bounced in round 1.

Unless they play Toronto again.
And that's the point. Even with a returning roster, they were worse than Tampa, Florida, Boston and Toronto. They're a team spinning its wheels.

Mark9988

Aug 29, 2021

he wont be any better than Bozak would have been, and we could have had him for free

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
The only thing that run did for them is price Danault out of Montreal.

I think the previous two 50-point seasons as well as being arguably the best defensive center on the planet might have something to do with it.

They're also paying a fourth liner $3.4m for the next four seasons.

I'm assuming you mean Armia?

If that's your definition of a 4th liner, then I congratulate your team for having an amazing RW depth.

Do you think the Habs would have any trouble finding someone to take Armia off their hands the minute he's made available? Really weird choice for an example of a bad contact.

Montreal didn't even benefit from the gate revenue.

So we are worried now about Montreal Canadiens solvency issues now? That's a good one.

I'm mean, if you're happy with your GM making reactionary trades hoping to catch lightning in a bottle, have at 'er.

How is acquiring a 25 years old center, signed for 4 years at below $5M, a reactionary move? Even if you believe the Habs should call it quits on next season, how exactly is having Nick Suzuki backed by Jake frigging Evans a strategy that benefits anybody?

Montreal looks poised to miss in the Atlantic

So what?

They've just made the Stanley Cup final, they have approximately 1000 prospects selected since 2017 and they have 11 picks in 2022 and all of their picks the year after. Plus, they have several assets on the roster that they can move if they wish to.

and the majority of their core is pushing 30 if they're not already well into them.

Well, I guess it's good that they started to build a new core when they announced their retool in 2018 then.

Dvorak is three years older than Suzuki. How does he not fit their future core?

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
A 1st and a 2nd for a 25 yr old center who topped 38 points has a high in his career. I take those picks and run.
He's been scoring on a pace for 22 goals/45 points per 82 games the last two seasons, so unless he is responsible for the pandemic, your argument about 38 points is not entirely accurate, is it?

Moreover, he started the last two seasons at 23 and 24 years of age, respectively, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to be a 50ish point player going forward. If that's the case, I won't be losing any sleep over those draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad