Most overrated player in the NHL?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If (for example) I think Jason Robertson is the best player in the league, there will always be someone who thinks he absolutely sucks as a result of learning how much I overrate him. The same goes if I think Nick Hague (just another example) is the absolute worst player in the entire NHL. For that exact reason, every player's 'rating' averages out.

To suggest someone is over or under rated, you'd need to disagree with what is considered the general consensus by a notable margin. Mentioning someone on here without dozens of people claiming you're basically an idiot for saying it - usually means they are in fact not over or under rated at all.

It's a catch-22 of a discussion and always will be.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Based on this season, almost every player on the Sabres that put up big point totals last year is overrated.

It’s hard to draw many conclusions on an individual basis, because the entire team turned into smelly garbage water over the summer somehow.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
if you were a casual fan or new to the sport, you wouldn't even know what it means to call a player one dimensional or care how zegras compares to the world's best players

the entire reason he's so marketable is that he's young, fun to watch and actually has a personality unlike the robots that make up 99% of the league, which is exactly what draws in the casual fan or someone who is new to hockey. that's why it's silly to think that the league would pass up the chance to market a guy like that just because he's not a top 5 player
Saying he's not a top 5 player is the understatement of the year. He's not even a top 50 forward. I find it absolutely laughable that hes the one that the league wants to shove down everyone's throat. Especially when there is countless legitimate and more deserving players out there to market.

But I suppose it's fitting he's the poster boy of the tiktok generation. All flash and absolutely 0 substance. He matches the target audience they have for him that's for sure

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Saying he's not a top 5 player is the understatement of the year. He's not even a top 50 forward. I find it absolutely laughable that hes the one that the league wants to shove down everyone's throat. Especially when there is countless legitimate and more deserving players out there to market.

But I suppose it's fitting he's the poster boy of the tiktok generation. All flash and absolutely 0 substance. He matches the target audience they have for him that's for sure
like who?

i can't even imagine how you boomers would react if he was a leaf or ranger and was marketed 10x more

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
like who?

i can't even imagine how you boomers would react if he was a leaf or ranger and was marketed 10x more
I mean for starters look at every single player outproducing him offensively. And then anyone that may not be as offensive but still gets selke votes. That's a pretty solid list already.

And I'm under 30, so swing and a miss there

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I mean for starters look at every single player outproducing him offensively. And then anyone that may not be as offensive but still gets selke votes. That's a pretty solid list already.

And I'm under 30, so swing and a miss there
and those players all have marketable personas like zegras does? because repeating get pucks deep isn't something that'd draw in new fans

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
and those players all have marketable personas like zegras does? because repeating get pucks deep isn't something that'd draw in new fans
Like I said before, all flash no substance. If that's the low common denominator you wanna target then by all means Zegras is the perfect guy. But that's not the compliment of his play you think it is

• Haha
Reactions: heynowbababooey

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Among the elite player my two are Draisaitl and Marner. Both have shown the ability to be true superstars but over time have become more deferential to the bigger dogs on their team.

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
Anyone saying Sid, Geno, Ovi, Kucherov, or other sacred cows are using their advanced age against them unfairly.

I’d say the most overrated player would have to be:

1. On a major market team
2. Darling of the media
3. Either overly physical or Lady Byng candidate

Right now I’m thinking Adam Fox could be a good candidate.

1. New York
2. Norris trophy voted by media
3. Not overtly physical

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad