Most overrated player in the NHL?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
60 points isn't the flex you think it is for a player as hyped as Zegras
what's all this hype you speak of? appearing on the cover of a video game and doing a skills contest in the ASG?

that's called marketing your young, marketable player. with the way people talk about zegras, you'd think people were comparing him to matthews and mcdavid

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
what's all this hype you speak of? appearing on the cover of a video game and doing a skills contest in the ASG?

that's called marketing your young, marketable player. with the way people talk about zegras, you'd think people were comparing him to matthews and mcdavid
That's exactly my point. He's far from a "young star" he has a long ways to go before he achieves that status. Yet he gets marketed with the legit elite of the elite like McDavid and Matthews

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
i don’t feel he is the Top 5 F many have said he is. Great player, obviously, but more of a Top 20 F than a Top 5 F.

Do accept my apologies, if that opinion upsets you

He also takes more criticism than nearly any of his similarly accomplished peers. Hard to say guys like Caufield, Laine or Zegras are overrated when it’s so fashionable to hate on them. 🤦‍♂️
i mean, if your opinions are based on your feelings, you’re admitting that you just don’t like him. Which is fine. I wouldn’t like him either if he wasn’t a Panther.

HenryBlake

Jan 2, 2022
Neither of those players are most overrated in the nhl as the op question asks though.

As well this quote from you here is an interesting take, why would yo have kept ROR and made him captain above landeskog? O’reilly was a solid player and they both play the right way but the fact still remains that he signed an offer sheet knowing full well there’s a good chance he’d leave, that doesn’t scream team commitment to me. It’s not like the team hasn’t had success under Landeskogs time as captain either so this take seems odd to me.
ROR was looking to get paid which is a common thing with players, there is no more home team discounts and things like that, it is a fantasy more or less. The guy was drafted 33rd overall and turned out to be legit 1C. It is a bit offtopic probably but it has been bugging me for years and I had to say it 😊 Landy is a good player, I just think all that leadership qualities talk is overrated in general. Joe Sakic also signed an offersheet back in the day if I am not mistaking.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
That's exactly my point. He's far from a "young star" he has a long ways to go before he achieves that status. Yet he gets marketed with the legit elite of the elite like McDavid and Matthews
so the league (one that has struggled for years and years to market their young talent) shouldn't market one of their most marketable players because.......he's not as good as two of the best players in the world?

that's quite a take

Reactions: pearljamvs5

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
so the league (one that has struggled for years and years to market their young talent) shouldn't market one of their most marketable players because.......he's not as good as two of the best players in the world?

that's quite a take
If I was a casual/new to hockey, I'd be very underwhelmed to learn one of the players the league is marketing is nothing more than a one dimensional 60 pt player. I'd be thinking really? That's the best ya'll have?

Reactions: teugen

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
ROR was looking to get paid which is a common thing with players, there is no more home team discounts and things like that, it is a fantasy more or less. The guy was drafted 33rd overall and turned out to be legit 1C. It is a bit offtopic probably but it has been bugging me for years and I had to say it 😊 Landy is a good player, I just think all that leadership qualities talk is overrated in general. Joe Sakic also signed an offersheet back in the day if I am not mistaking.
He did, he is also a hall of fame player. In the heyday of the the Avs/wings rivalry opposing players were also told not to chirp him…. From their own Detroit teammates. The level of respect he commanded is in a totally different stratosphere than either of the current players being discussed. You are moving goalposts and dodging both questions:
- How is Landeskog the most overrated player in the NHL?
- Secondarily, from our discussion, why should ROR have been named captain over Landeskog?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
If I was a casual/new to hockey, I'd be very underwhelmed to learn one of the players the league is marketing is nothing more than a one dimensional 60 pt player. I'd be thinking really? That's the best ya'll have?
if you were a casual fan or new to the sport, you wouldn't even know what it means to call a player one dimensional or care how zegras compares to the world's best players

the entire reason he's so marketable is that he's young, fun to watch and actually has a personality unlike the robots that make up 99% of the league, which is exactly what draws in the casual fan or someone who is new to hockey. that's why it's silly to think that the league would pass up the chance to market a guy like that just because he's not a top 5 player

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
i mean, if your opinions are based on your feelings, you’re admitting that you just don’t like him. Which is fine. I wouldn’t like him either if he wasn’t a Panther.
Because I don’t have him in the same tier as Matthews, Drai, Kucherov etc, I must dislike him? He’s in the next tier with Eichel, Barkov, Hughes, Pasta etc. I think that’s a perfectly reasonable take

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Because I don’t have him in the same tier as Matthews, Drai, Kucherov etc, I must dislike him? He’s in the next tier with Eichel, Barkov, Hughes, Pasta etc. I think that’s a perfectly reasonable take
Fair enough, but you can’t share basically little on your opinion, claim it’s due to feelings, and be surprised that lines were drawn.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
A year ago maybe Zegras. People act like he’s hot garbage now that he’s almost trending towards being underrated.

As for the topic. I always thought Brayden Point was a great player but gets overrated a lot. Zibanejad fits that as well.
Its funny about Point, I always feel like he flies under the radar in Tampa to the point where he might be underrated. Id say he gets the 5th most attention on Tampa after Kuch, Stamkos, Hedman, Vasi.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The votes for Quinn Hughes are silly. It wasn't until this season where Hughes was even talked about in the same breath as Makar. Canuck fans knew how good Hughes was but even with strong stats he still wasn't considered a Norris caliber defenseman among the league last year. He was and this year IMO is the leader for the Norris this season. Makar is also legendary so it could go either way. Coffey vs Bourque all over again. A pleasure to watch as a hockey fan.
Not true at all. Canucks fans were constantly comparing Hughes to Makar and Fox until it became just irrefutable that they were on a higher level. Hughes now took another step this year to put him in their conversation, but this isn't the first year they've been compared at all.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Its funny about Point, I always feel like he flies under the radar in Tampa to the point where he might be underrated. Id say he gets the 5th most attention on Tampa after Kuch, Stamkos, Hedman, Vasi.
Obviously I'm biased but I don't see how Point gets overrated. It feels like people forget he's on the team sometimes.

I wonder how many people realize he scored 51 goals last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad