Most overrated player in the NHL?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's a good thing people aren't tossing around game cards to try and compare players anymore...

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Crosby is still going to retire a top 3-4 player period
Ovechkin might retire as holding the goal scoring record.
Both are closer to 40 and retirement than McDavid is to 1200 points
McDavid is currently the best player in the league no hate to Kucherov this year
McKinnon is absolutely one of the best players of this era after a slow first 2-3 years

The most overrated people I think in the league right now are Pettersson in Van, Oettinger in Dallas, Laine in CBJ, Gaudreau in CBJ, Thompson in Buffalo and based on draft position alone at this moment in time and ONLY this moment in time for their draft position Owen Power

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Matthews AINEC 41 times has 60 plus goals done in the NHL and 3 current players have even scored more than him in a season, and the Toronto media and fans act like he is the most valuable player lol and he has never outproduced Draisaitl in points any season he has been in the league including so far this year.

Reactions: Nicko999

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Matthews AINEC 41 times has 60 plus goals done in the NHL and 3 current players have even scored more than him in a season, and the Toronto media and fans act like he is the most valuable player lol and he has never outproduced Draisaitl in points any season he has been in the league including so far this year.
Drai? Half the time he can't outscore Marner...

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The best goal scorer in the NHL is overrated?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This nomination is for those who are not as good as their numbers during their career. The only correct answer is Erik Karlsson.
I believe its possible EK was both underrated and overrated at different parts of his career. In his prime I remember a Sens poster in this forum having huge wars saying EK was at worst #2 all time. He was playing great at that time but that poster was definitely getting carried away.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Matthews pulverizes in his domain and has a very complete game.

Kucherov is much better. He has everything better than Ovechkin on offense, has titles that Ovechkin doesn't have and has achieved performance peaks that Ovechkin hasn't. His play-off record is already much better with 8 years left to play.

McKinnon... should I argue ?

If I think that Ovechkin is overrated it is precisely because there are people who believe that Ovechkin is better than Matthews,McKinnon and Kucherov.

Minds remained stuck in 2010.
Funnily enough comparing individual trophies Ovi vs Mack+Matthews+Kucherov
Hart: 3:2
Art Ross: 1:1
Conn Smythe 1:0
Richard : 8:2
Lindsay 3:2

Last edited:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Funnily enough comparing individual trophies Ovi vs Mack+Matthews+Kucherov
Hart: 3:2
Art Ross: 1:1
Conn Smythe 1:0
Richard : 8:2
Lindsay 3:2
A 2013 Hart that Crosby should have had, a 2018 Smythe that was given in name and not on merit. As for the rest, there is a big gap in level between players born in the 1990s and those born in the 1980s. Already, at the end of the last decade, the 1990s had swept away the previous generation.

You put McDavid in the same generation as Ovechkin and the MVP (Lindsay/Hart/ Art Ross) trophies fly away.

If I say that he is overrated it is because I consider that he has not deserved several distinctions and that his reputation is very overrated compared to his real level of play.

Afterwards remains the Richard, obtained with a shooting percentage significantly lower than the players compared. No risk of accumulating a lot of Richard, Kucherov is an ultra-collective player.

Last edited:

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
McDavid

Word. Lost the penguins prime years because he was horrible in the playoffs. The most overrated goalie of all time. He's lucky he's Canadian and got carried by Crosby/Malkin because he sucks otherwise.

How can someone be so wrong

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
If I say that he is overrated it is because I consider that he has not deserved several distinctions and that his reputation is very overrated compared to his real level of play.
Overated is one thing , saying is worse than Mackinnon or Matthews is other and im saying this as Avs fan. Ovi peak was matched only by McDavid in last 20 years. McDavid lost major trophies to Draisaitl/Kucherov/Matthews. Im sure peak Ovi would still manage to win some.

Are Crosby/Malkin also overated and worse than current stars? Ovi was beating them during his peak.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019
A 2013 Hart that Crosby should have had
But he didn’t.
You put McDavid in the same generation as Ovechkin and the MVP (Lindsay/Hart/ Art Ross) trophies fly away.
But he wasn’t, so they don’t.

Can we place Gretzky’s ‘81-‘82 and ‘85-‘86 seasons anywhere in history to negate all other players’ accomplishments?

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Overated is one thing , saying is worse than Mackinnon or Matthews is other and im saying this as Avs fan. Ovi peak was matched only by McDavid in last 20 years. McDavid lost major trophies to Draisaitl/Kucherov/Matthews. Im sure peak Ovi would still manage to win some.

Are Crosby/Malkin also overated and worse than current stars? Ovi was beating them during his peak.
Even during his period 2005-2010 where he broke the record for individualism in the history of this sport, he never exceeded 112 points.

As you just said, there is huge competition in the current generation with McDavid, Matthews, McKinnon, Kucherov and Draisaitl. Hey, I forgot that last one. He too is superior to Ovechkin.

Already in the middle of last decade Ovechkin was not top 5 when he was at his biological prime.
Crosby is way above Ovechkin. Malkin is no less good. I even think he's better.

But he didn’t.

Can we place Gretzky’s ‘81-‘82 and ‘85-‘86 seasons anywhere in history to negate all other players’ accomplishments?
Principle of the overrated player. Receiving trophies that he didn't deserve just in name.
Stop forcing Ovimaniachs

DRW895

Dec 29, 2021
But he didn’t.

2013 Hart goes in right hands. Brooks Orpik shot doesn`t matter in Hart Conversation. It was relevant in Art Ross race + horrible Ovechkin`s robbery 2010 wasn`t forgotten

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Already in the middle of last decade Ovechkin was not top 5 when he was at his biological prime.
Did you even watch hockey back then? Please tell me who the other 5 players are that were better than Ovechkin during his prime? And please don't use total points as a determinant.

Reactions: Randyne

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019
Even during his period 2005-2010 where he broke the record for individualism in the history of this sport, he never exceeded 112 points.

As you just said, there is huge competition in the current generation with McDavid, Matthews, McKinnon, Kucherov and Draisaitl. Hey, I forgot that last one. He too is superior to Ovechkin.

Principle of the overrated player. Receiving trophies that he didn't deserve just in name.
Stop forcing Ovimaniachs
Why do the other players you mention get credit for the reality of their accomplishments and Ovechkin’s get torn apart by hypotheticals and what-could-have-beens?

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia

Stop forcing Ovimaniachs

I didn’t know the NHL had an individualism award.

• Haha
Reactions: Planetov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad