Moose Season Discussion

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I can easily. He's so fast and shifty. Can finish

Agree, but I reckon the issue will be less about Lambert’s ability to play centre at the NHL level than about the kind of centres the Jets will trust to play at the NHL level.

OTOH, there ain’t much in the C pipeline at the moment, esp with 55 entering his 30s. Either a prospect is properly developed as a C or the team will have to spend significant assets to acquire one.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Agree, but I reckon the issue will be less about Lambert’s ability to play centre at the NHL level than about the kind of centres the Jets will trust to play at the NHL level.

OTOH, there ain’t much in the C pipeline at the moment, esp with 55 entering his 30s. Either a prospect is properly developed as a C or the team will have to spend significant assets to acquire one.
Here’s hoping Perfetti can become Brian Little 2.0

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That is huge assets. And the context is that we still don't have a 2C and they appear to have given up on Perfetti at C.

The possibilities at this point appear to be Lambert at C or developing McGroarty at C. I'd say that Lambert is quite a bit more likely.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
All those are good qualities for a winger to have as well.

He's at his best when he has the entire ice to use his elite skating instead of being stuck on one side. A big part of his post draft glow up was his junior coach deciding to put him back at C and the Moose seeing the success and not being afraid (this time) of doing the same.

It would benefit the Jets long term health to try and develop their 3rd fulltime C in 13 years

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
He's at his best when he has the entire ice to use his elite skating instead of being stuck on one side. A big part of his post draft glow up was his junior coach deciding to put him back at C and the Moose seeing the success and not being afraid (this time) of doing the same.

It would benefit the Jets long term health to try and develop their 3rd fulltime C in 13 years
No disagreement here, if it works then I'll be ecstatic. I'd argue that his turning point was more about opportunity than being put at center.

He just has a lot of trouble defending in the AHL, relies on his stick a lot more than his body and takes penalties (and honestly should take a lot more than he actually gets) as a result and if he needs to resort to that at the AHL level it'll only be worse in the NHL. He is young, he has time to figure it out, but for the people wanting him up with the Jets it's something he should probably sort out in the AHL first if we want him to be a center in this league.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
No disagreement here, if it works then I'll be ecstatic. I'd argue that his turning point was more about opportunity than being put at center.

He just has a lot of trouble defending in the AHL, relies on his stick a lot more than his body and takes penalties (and honestly should take a lot more than he actually gets) as a result and if he needs to resort to that at the AHL level it'll only be worse in the NHL. He is young, he has time to figure it out, but for the people wanting him up with the Jets it's something he should probably sort out in the AHL first if we want him to be a center in this league.

He's still really skinny, needs to put on some man muscles :laugh:. I think he should spend another fulltime year in the AHL at C minimum if they are gonna seriously try him at C. The top 6 is full of wingers anyway next year. I'd also hope they seriously give Gabe or Cole another shot too. They cant keep trading for rentals to deal with it.

If people want him up earlier he's probably just a winger, the Jets are very risk averse, as we've seem with Cole, Gabe, Roslovic, Copp etc etc. Always so quick to pivot away

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Lambert back tonight.

Moose up 2-1 midway through the 1st, goal and assist for Heinola. Capo back to being a tire fire in his own zone.

Down 3-2 after the first. Bad change led to 2nd goal, pinball play led to 3rd.

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Woof, Heinola goes for a hip check on a break in and the player breaks through, throws the puck to the front of the net to an Abbotsford player who has both Toninato and Capobianco within a foot away and neither takes him. 4-2.

Reactions: hn777

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Moose lose 4-3. Good first (despite finishing down 3-2) but Abbotsford shut them down very effectively for the final two periods.

Vancouver's top prospect, Lekkerimäki, played his 3rd AHL game after his SHL season finished and got a ton of chances. No points but it's easy to see why they're excited about him.

@ICdave I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but are there any video reviews in the AHL? The Toninato high stick goal was pretty borderline and I've seen goals that were clearly offside be allowed with no challenge.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Moose playing some awful hockey tonight.

Still think Malott could be an effective 4th liner in the NHL.

Lambert and Malott separated for this game, which strikes me as a strange move. They're fantastic together.

Truly awful change by Capobianco and it's 5-2.

Last edited:

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Moose lose 4-3. Good first (despite finishing down 3-2) but Abbotsford shut them down very effectively for the final two periods.

Vancouver's top prospect, Lekkerimäki, played his 3rd AHL game after his SHL season finished and got a ton of chances. No points but it's easy to see why they're excited about him.

@ICdave I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but are there any video reviews in the AHL? The Toninato high stick goal was pretty borderline and I've seen goals that were clearly offside be allowed with no challenge.
Sorry just saw this. Yes there is video review. Coincidentally they used it this evening to review the second Moose goal and last week that one Toronto scored on Milic.

Special teams the difference as Moose fall to the Canucks 5-2:

The Moose went 0/5 on the power giving up a shorthanded goal. They also gave up a power play goal as the Canucks went 1/2 and that was the difference in the hockey game as Manitoba is swept in their trip out west.

Full recap here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad