Confirmed with Link: Moose Not Renewing McCambridge

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I wasn't a huge fan of McCambridge. This is welcome news. Housley, Hawerchuk, Keane could all be good fits. Lol maybe Adam Oated so he can be closer to Scheif!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think an AHL coach should be judged by wins and losses. They are a slave to the parent club in so many ways.

It wasn't so much the wins and losses to me. It was the way they were losing especially early in the year. The team the first 20 or so games was a dumpster fire and our kids routinely out shot by a substantial margin. Yes we graduated many young players, but the young players weren't really the biggest issue. DeLeo and Comrie hit the ground running, Morrissey while it took him a bit for the points to come was still not giving up much defensively. The issue was Keith couldn't get the vets going or the team to play as a unit for most of the year. I hope Keith lands on his feet, but I don't feel our middle prospects have advanced as quickly as should be expected. He's had Kichton for 3 years and he's still a mess defensively, Kosmo hasn't improved at as quick of a rate as is to be expected, ditto for Lipon.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
It wasn't so much the wins and losses to me. It was the way they were losing especially early in the year. The team the first 20 or so games was a dumpster fire and our kids routinely out shot by a substantial margin. Yes we graduated many young players, but the young players weren't really the biggest issue. DeLeo and Comrie hit the ground running, Morrissey while it took him a bit for the points to come was still not giving up much defensively. The issue was Keith couldn't get the vets going or the team to play as a unit for most of the year. I hope Keith lands on his feet, but I don't feel our middle prospects have advanced as quickly as should be expected. He's had Kichton for 3 years and he's still a mess defensively, Kosmo hasn't improved at as quick of a rate as is to be expected, ditto for Lipon.

I was actually responding to the post talking about StJohns fans unhappy with him. It's the major reason I never cared about the Moose when we were a slave to Vancouver.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I was actually responding to the post talking about StJohns fans unhappy with him. It's the major reason I never cared about the Moose when we were a slave to Vancouver.

Gotcha makes sense. I can't say I attended many Moose games during that era either.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Thank ****. He was doing a crap job.

I could see something like Pascal Vincent going down there to be the new head coach and us hire a new coach for the big club.

Not sure about the Hawerchuk shouts, he just signed a new contract with Barrie.

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Garret's article is a great read. I just want the Jets to have a coach in the AHL that is considered a potential NHL coach, someone we are afraid of being poached by other teams for an NHL job. Like Sheldon Keefe and others. Never heard any chatter about McComb McCambridge being considered for big league jobs. I hope we hire a young and hungry guy who will focus on developing the young guns.

jbreiner

Mar 24, 2006
So I know he's under contract for another year in Texas (assuming he's not renewed before next season ends anyways), but what about someone like Derek Laxdal. Maybe not even just AHL, but potentially even NHL. He's not the usual recycled list of guys, and he has yet to finish outside of the playoffs in any league when he coached the full season. He has also won championships in a couple leagues as well.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

The disparity in performance by so many of the prospects when they came up to the Jets may have been the final nail. Sure they'll have more motivation playing on the Jets but I think many outperformed expectations when they jumped. I don't think Mc had the ability to motivate his charges & it caught up to him

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Mike Keane? Dale Hawerchuk?

I bet they're going to try and find somebody who has experience in both developing and winning.

Back in the day when it was only The Moose, they were only focused on winning. Which is why I'd say Arniel isn't the best bet. Otherwise, I'd say they're going to keep rotating coaches until they find the right one, but right now The Moose are a big mess.

But one thing they should've really had done was keep Jaffray.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I believe they're going to find a coach that can prioritize getting the most out of developing the prospects. McCambridge wasn't doing a good enough job with the young guys that we had, I guess. you can develop and still win games. A 50 loss season is unacceptable.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Can we get Ralph Krueger? In hindsight he was the best coach Oilers had

He is chairman of EPL club Southampton. It sounded like he was temporarily being released for the World Cup of Hockey and then would return to his duties. I believe he is NHL or nothing. It would certainly put pressure on Maurice to make PP and PK adjustments before the 60th game of the season.

I would like to see a coach who is not only capable of developing our young prospects on the farm but who is also a possible NHL head coaching candidate of the future.

zsam

Mar 26, 2016
Winnipeg
To me this looks like they finally looked at statistics (thanks Garrett) and realized 'loyalty first' is not going to take them too far. I am just hoping the trend will continue with Maurice's assistants. This might have been a move preceding some internal shuffles (downgrades). I guess time will tell but it is a move in the right direction.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The disparity in performance by so many of the prospects when they came up to the Jets may have been the final nail. Sure they'll have more motivation playing on the Jets but I think many outperformed expectations when they jumped. I don't think Mc had the ability to motivate his charges & it caught up to him

You could interpret that in exactly the opposite way. They were not winning in the AHL but when they were brought up they were well prepared.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If the goal of this organization is to always be D&D thereby meaning they will always be playing their young players on the Moose, and most likely as a result always be at the bottom of the standings... does it really matter who coaches the Moose?

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
If the goal of this organization is to always be D&D thereby meaning they will always be playing their young players on the Moose, and most likely as a result always be at the bottom of the standings... does it really matter who coaches the Moose?

There's a lot more to being a head coach, especially of an AHL team, than just pure wins and losses. Yes it matters.

Also, you can have a young team and win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad