Confirmed with Link: Moose Not Renewing McCambridge

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
The Winnipeg Jets have parted ways with their top minor league coach after five seasons.

Keith McCambridge, who was head coach of the Manitoba Moose and the St. John’s IceCaps since the Jets returned to the NHL in 2011, was told Friday that the organization would not renew his contract.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/04/22/manitoba-moose-coach-keith-mccambridge-cut-loose

Kinda surprised, as I thought they were happy with his developmental approach to our prospects.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Wonder that myself. I know Hawerchuk's name has been tossed around in the past.

I have to believe they have had someone in mind for awhile, who ever it is.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Despite what they say in public, I have a hard time believing that they were happy with how the last two seasons played out. I also am not sure how happy they have been with some of the player development under him. Sure the very talented guys like Petan and Morrissey were able to figure it out in time, but I can't say I've been impressed with the growth of some of our B prospects like Lipon and Kosmachuk.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Any idea who might replace him?

Vincent? Huddy? Maurice?

Guess when a better coach is available you grab him, same should apply to the Jets as well! See a few guys whose teams did well this season who were available and would have made a better choice than .500 Maurice who seems to have fooled a lot of people around here into thinking he is a good coach!

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Despite what they say in public, I have a hard time believing that they were happy with how the last two seasons played out. I also am not sure how happy they have been with some of the player development under him. Sure the very talented guys like Petan and Morrissey were able to figure it out in time, but I can't say I've been impressed with the growth of some of our B prospects like Lipon and Kosmachuk.

I was under the same thought as well, but when both Kos and Lipon came up this season, I was impressed with how well they played, and adapted to the NHL game.

But, I do believe they have someone in mind, and have so for a while, that fits into our system better.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I was under the same thought as well, but when both Kos and Lipon came up this season, I was impressed with how well they played, and adapted to the NHL game.

But, I do believe they have someone in mind, and have so for a while, that fits into our system better.

Your likely correct about them having someone in mind. I have no idea who that would be as I think I heard that Hawechuk just renewed in Barrie.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

That calls into question why they could look like they had decent potential at the NHL level and fail in the AHL.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
TNSE is loyal to a fault. Something is wrong with this picture.

Easy. They are not as loyal as you think.

Instead of looking only at the ones they have been 'loyal' to try looking for some they have not been loyal to. They fired Noel, now McCambridge and Will Craig. They waived good-bye to Slater and Jaffray. They traded Kane only when forced but they also traded core member and all around good guy Bogo. There are others.

TNSE loyalty is just another myth.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
That calls into question why they could look like they had decent potential at the NHL level and fail in the AHL.

To be fair, and this is my own belief, that playing a top 3 role in the AHL is harder than playing 4rth line minutes at the NHL level.

Have no backing for this belief, but one has to imagine that a top line in the AHL has higher talent than the majority of 4rth lines in the NHL.

As well, neither player has failed at the AHL level. BOth have had decent AHL careers thus far.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Instead of looking only at the ones they have been 'loyal' to try looking for some they have not been loyal to. They fired Noel, now McCambridge and Will Craig. They waived good-bye to Slater and Jaffray. They traded Kane only when forced but they also traded core member and all around good guy Bogo. There are others.

I agree. When they find good people, they tend to stick with them for long periods of time, which is usually a good thing. But if they are not comfortable with you, your gone.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
McCambridge's son and my son are pals in grade 4. Always sad to see changes like this happen and how it impacts families. Certainly hope he does well with another organization.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Agreed. Funny how "loyalty" seems to be associated only with guys with contracts with $ and term on them ;)

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Perhaps TNSE wants the coach of the Moose to also be a potential future Jets coach and they decided McCambridge was not future NHL coach material.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Perhaps TNSE wants the coach of the Moose to also be a potential future Jets coach and they decided McCambridge was not future NHL coach material.

I think that's entirely the case!

Jim Slater?

Scott Arniel?

Last edited:

Bwadlay

Feb 22, 2016

IMO, this firing doesn't pass the smell test. I'm thinking there's something going on behind the scenes.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Scott Arniel
Assistant coach in the NHL would possibly be a good choice,if they don't mind the Bus.

He would be a good choice, but does he want to go back to being an AHL head coach. I imagine if the Rangers turf their staff he'd have numerous assistant options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad