Pre-Game Talk: Montreal @ Nashville: Tuesday, March 5th, 8 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
He requires retention because he sucks and isn’t worth his contract.
NO. He requires retention because he is only good as a backup and makes too much money for one. And most importantly teams that might want him don't have cap room. He can probably be moved in the off season.

Reactions: Tyson

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Today I found out Dick Irvin is alive? and 92 I thought he died. Posting here because I'm locked out of the Out of Town thread for some reason.

1709613912153.png

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Today I found out Dick Irvin is alive? and 92 I thought he died. Posting here because I'm locked out of the Out of Town thread for some reason.

View attachment 829613

He was doing the pxp when I grew up. So he's the voice of my childhood. We have tapes of mine and my sisters' birthdays when we were kids and we have my dad and uncles around the tv watching HNIC and Irvin was doing Habs games. So his voice was in the background.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
NO. He requires retention because he is only good as a backup and makes too much money for one. And most importantly teams that might want him don't have cap room. He can probably be moved in the off season.
You said he's better than half of the goalies in the league, the stats show he's not even better than half of the backups in the league. Nobody wants this guy at his contract because he sucks and they will look at signing other goalies in the offseason. Even at 50% we'd be getting a mid-late pick at best if a team is crazy desperate, that's not the sign of a good player.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He was doing the pxp when I grew up. So he's the voice of my childhood. We have tapes of mine and my sisters' birthdays when we were kids and we have my dad and uncles around the tv watching HNIC and Irvin was doing Habs games. So his voice was in the background.
brings chills when I hear him call a game or even talk, the stuff my childhood was made of. My dad and uncles watching the game, beers flowing and Dicks voice blaring from the TV. Good times!

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You said he's better than half of the goalies in the league, the stats show he's not even better than half of the backups in the league. Nobody wants this guy at his contract because he sucks and they will look at signing other goalies in the offseason. Even at 50% we'd be getting a mid-late pick at best if a team is crazy desperate, that's not the sign of a good player.
He IS better than half the backups in the league assuming he can return to last seasons form. There are very few good goalies in the league. If he had a minimal salary like most backups he would be worth at least a 3rd. With his contract he will likely only move at the last minute to a team who misses out on every other starter or who is too cheap to pay for more than a backup.

• Haha
Reactions: The Great Weal

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It just means Habs with an easy win.

I never believed in rebuild. There is no reason team cannot stay somewhat competitive while turning over their players. See Boston. Rebuild is just an excuse for inability to manage.
You aren't wrong.
Unless you get handcuffed to the extent we did with Bergevin's master plan.

Re-tooling is what Boston Nashville and the (NYR) did although they got luck with free agency.
Their trade able assets were far more valuable than ours.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
My first Habs game was back when Denis Herron played for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
My dad was invited to do an interview with Irving on CBC discussing Herron's upbringing.
I was able to watch from the side stage a glassy eyed seven year old thinking Damn that dude is short. :sarcasm:

• Love
Reactions: BLONG7 and Tyson

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
It just means Habs with an easy win.

I never believed in rebuild. There is no reason team cannot stay somewhat competitive while turning over their players. See Boston. Rebuild is just an excuse for inability to manage.
That's your standard, somewhat competitive?:laugh:

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
The Preds are on an 8 game win streak, are at home, and sit in the WC2 spot (tied with the Kings who hold WC1).

The Habs have won once in their last 8, and have nothing but pride to play for.

We all know how this one's going to go and the pro-tank committee is going to be devastated.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

View attachment 829613
He's still around, good to see. I recall educating my future mrs on hockey and the history of the Habs. Dick was always present and she grew rather fond of Dick.:DD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad