OT: Montreal Impact Thread: One step forward 2 steps backward edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Dude let's calm down, I mean AJH is for sure better than Mancosu at this point but calling a star (or future star)? That's reaching. Dude can barely play 90 minutes and usually scores when opposing teams have tired defenders. Larin is 2 years younger with 40 more goals. Let's give him a full season as a starter and then we'll see if you were right, but at his age i doubt it, he might be a good MLS/Championship player tho.

I'm not a fan of Biello and his usage of AJH is one of many reasons I don't think he's a very good coach. Biello being at the helm may explain AJH's lack of starts. Zambrano, on the other hand, sees AJH differently and sang his praises after the week of practice. He actually chose AJH over your 40 goal scorer and the only reason he pulled him out was because he received a heavy hit and Les Rouges were up by two.

I think you, like Biello, are underestimating AJH. As for that nonsense that he scores against tired defenders, how come the other substitutes haven't been able to score against tired defenders when they come in? AJH lacks elite dribbling skills, I'll give you that, but he is a smart player, with very good passing skills and excellent attacking skills.

Last edited:

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
I'm not a fan of Biello and his usage of AJH is one of many reasons I don't think he's a very good coach. Biello being at the helm may explain AJH's lack of starts. Zambrano, on the other hand, sees AJH differently and sang his praises after the week of practice. He actually chose AJH over your 40 goal scorer and the only reason he pulled him out was because he received a heavy hit and Les Rouges were up by two.

I think you, like Biello, are underestimating AJH. As for that nonsense that he scores against tired defenders, how come the other substitutes haven't been able to score against tired defenders when they come in? AJH lacks elite dribbling skills, I'll give you that, but he is a smart player, with very good passing skills and excellent attacking skills.
I'm not contesting the fact AJH is a useful and a better player than Mancosu (I even said it in the previous post). I'm just saying how can you call him a future star when he finally had his breakthrough season at 24 in his fourth season with the team while his national teammate is 2 years younger than him has scored 40 more goals and another teammate of his age is playing in Mexico's first division.
To me, I only see 2 potential Canadian stars. Davies and Larin.

how come the other substitutes haven't been able to score against tired defenders when they come in? Because they aren't supersub, he probably started 5-6 games by memory? He only played well against RSL and another team. The others games I only remembered he was playing because he got treated for cramps on sidelines. If he can't perform as a starter on a regular basis but scores when he comes in? that makes him a supersub. At least for now... We shall see. That's why I'm saying let's give him a full season as a number one forward and we'll see who's right. But right now he's gotta take advantage of his momentum and bag in as many goals as possible, because like I said with Drogba in 2016 and Mancosu this year, it's hard to duplicate the success you had for playing 1/3rd of a season.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
To me, I only see 2 potential Canadian stars. Davies and Larin.

Larin is so far down my list it ain't funny. Hoilett is head and shoulders better than Larin. Going forward I see Davies, Hamel, Hoilett and, if he decides to play for Les Rouges, Ballou. For the national team Larin will be a sub at best. Larin may have more physical skills than Hamel but he freezes up when he gets opportunities. A curse that has haunted Canadian strikers for decades. Hamel attacks and doesn't freeze up.

In many aspects he reminds me of Christian Vieri. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he is going to be as good. He's a very poor man's version of Vieri. Vieri lacked a lot of the showy flair. I know many of my relatives back in Italy despised him and called him a cow mocking his nickname Il Toro, others called him an ass. But Vieri had some elite qualities: a nose for goal and an unflappable nerve. Those are two qualities that I see in Hamel. Obviously not to the same degree as Vieri.

Last edited:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Larin is so far down my list it ain't funny. Hoilett is head and shoulders better than Larin. Going forward I see Davies, Hamel, Hoilett and, if he decides to play for Les Rouges, Ballou. For the national team Larin will be a sub at best. Larin may have more physical skills than Hamel but he freezes up when he gets opportunities. A curse that has haunted Canadian strikers for decades. Hamel attacks and doesn't freeze up.

In many aspects he reminds me of Christian Vieri. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he is going to be as good. He's a very poor man's version of Vieri. Vieri lacked a lot of the showy flair. I know many of my relatives back in Italy despised him and called him a cow mocking his nickname Il Toro, others called him an ass. But Vieri had some elite qualities: a nose for goal and an unflappable nerve. Those are two qualities that I see in Hamel. Obviously not to the same degree as Vieri.

It's really weird that Larin can't score with Canada yet fills the net for Orlando. Maybe Kakà does play a huge role in Larin's success for the Lions. It could also be that he took his role for granted as Canada's striker while he had more competition in Orlando.

One thing's for sure, Jackson has been successful in the underdog role. Let's see how he performs now that he's in the spotlight. Marcuzzi seems to think the starting role is his for the next three games and I hope he's right. Biello needs to give him a real chance.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
That's exactly what I suggested a few months ago, if he comes to MLS I see him in Vancouver or in Montreal. He made Canada look decent at the GC.

And as you said we're missing someone on the RW for years now... Someone should pitch the idea to FO even if its just a loan. I bet his current team wont ask for much in January unless he becomes their star but he'll require a DP spot surely.

Hoilett is having a great start of season with Cardiff, who are first in the championship right now, he has been one of their best players, has 2 goals in 5 games and he's is creating stuff. He renewed a 1 years contract, and might get some good offers at the end of it.

Yes, he would most likely be a DP in MLS because he's always been an expensive player in Championship.

I've watched this guy for years, i wouldnt want him here on the type of money he demands, too inconsistent. I hope he does keep up his current form, though.

If there's one CANMNT player that i'd want to see in Montreal, it's Hutchinson. A midfield with Dzemaili, Hutchinson and Piette would be the best midfield in the league. Yes, I'm looking at you TFC, Bradley dreams he was as good as Hutchinson.

Last edited:

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Hoilett is having a great start of season with Cardiff, who are first in the championship right now, he has been one of their best players, has 2 goals in 5 games and he's is creating stuff. He renewed a 1 years contract, and might get some good offers at the end of it.

Yes, he would most likely be a DP in MLS because he's always been an expensive player in Championship.

I've watched this guy for years, i wouldnt want him here on the type of money he demands, too inconsistent. I hope he does keep up his current form, though.

If there's one CANMNT player that i'd want to see in Montreal, it's Hutchinson. A midfield with Dzemaili, Hutchinson and Piette would be the best midfield in the league. Yes, I'm looking at you TFC, Bradley dreams he was as good as Hutchinson.

Yeah well that's great news if he's having a great season so far, even in the Championship (which is below his real level imo), hope he gets to be a key part and Cardiff City gets promoted next year. In that case, he might as well stay in UK. I didn't know that.

Hutchinson is in my opinion a top 5 Concacaf player worldwide behind Chicharito and Navas.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It's really weird that Larin can't score with Canada yet fills the net for Orlando. Maybe Kakà does play a huge role in Larin's success for the Lions. It could also be that he took his role for granted as Canada's striker while he had more competition in Orlando.

There may be two explanations for Larin.

He may be another Paciorrety. Up to a certain level he looks like a superstar. Past that level not so much.

The 2nd explanation I borrow from Marinaro. Awhile back he accused Soccer Canada of falling in love with a certain type of forward: big, physical and fast. Those players dominant against smaller, less skilled players in the early years but as they move up the ranks and rely solely on their physical attributes their weaknesses start to show. That's Larin to a tee. It also describes Hamel - except he isn't that fast - but AJH has an excellent sense of positioning and I don't think he has a nerve in his body so he doesn't get nervous when presented with scoring opportunities. Larin on the other hand is all nerves.

Also hamel's passing and vision is underrated, whereas Larin has neither.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
There may be two explanations for Larin.

He may be another Paciorrety. Up to a certain level he looks like a superstar. Past that level not so much.

The 2nd explanation I borrow from Marinaro. Awhile back he accused Soccer Canada of falling in love with a certain type of forward: big, physical and fast. Those players dominant against smaller, less skilled players in the early years but as they move up the ranks and rely solely on their physical attributes their weaknesses start to show. That's Larin to a tee. It also describes Hamel - except he isn't that fast - but AJH has an excellent sense of positioning and I don't think he has a nerve in his body so he doesn't get nervous when presented with scoring opportunities. Larin on the other hand is all nerves.

Also hamel's passing and vision is underrated, whereas Larin has neither.

Maybe Larin relies more on his physical attributes when he plays for Canada. But to me he's more dangerous with the ball at his feet than AJH. He's more creative and a better dribbler. Jackson might be smarter though.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Maybe Larin relies more on his physical attributes when he plays for Canada. But to me he's more dangerous with the ball at his feet than AJH. He's more creative and a better dribbler. Jackson might be smarter though.

I agree Larin is a better dribbler. That's most definitely AJH's weakest skill and I think most people see his terrible dribbling and judge the rest of his game according to his dribbling. But AJH is a better passer and has better vision than Larin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad