OT: Montreal Impact Thread: One step forward 2 steps backward edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
I say we play the rest of the season with AJH and Crépeau starting. Can't possibly do worse than Mancosu and Bush, and they can actually get better

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
I say we play the rest of the season with AJH and Crépeau starting. Can't possibly do worse than Mancosu and Bush, and they can actually get better

Yeah, we should already be doing that a lot more. I want too see more of LBG and Salazar too, he should be getting more starting minutes, whether as RW or as striker. I never understood why we didnt use him more from the begining of the season, its not like Depuy has ever proven us anything like these other youngsters have (AJH and Salazar).

Another thing, Mauro needs to sub players more according to the flow of the game being played. His subs often make no effing sense. Last game per example, he subbed off Mallace when he was having one of his best games I've seen so far. He was basically dominating the midfield, was our payer with most touches, and he was replaced by Bernier - who had just arrived from the Gold Cup late the night before - for no apparent reason. It was obvious that Dzemaili was struggling all game and if anyone should have been subbed off it was him.

It blows my mind how Mauro, doesnt seem to take these basic things into acccount when subbing and just seems to go along with whatever pre-established plan he had.

Last edited:

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
I just read some quotes from what Joey said at the recent event for the season ticket holders, about the team finances, not willing to invest more in players because of game attendance, and the need to be intelligent and efficient with our spending...

What a hypocrite. Its not like he never filled the Stade before by investing in a major DP. And its not like his team is playing in a way that fans will rush to the Stade right now.

People can put the numbers up, our spending is not efficient at all. A huge chunk of our salary cap is wasted on the bench... Oduro, Camara, Bernardello, Cabrera... (not adding Romero because circumstances).

RoadTotheCup

Apr 9, 2012
With some of the big spenders power house in the east (Toronto, Atlanta, NYCFC, Orlando), if they keep this mindset of not being willing to invest to compete doing the playoff will be hard. You don't have to be as crazy as them, but you at least need to be willing to spend when your team need improvement to be competitive.

Especially with a bad staff and no real scouting team. They are making it hard on themselves by badly managing their assets. So they don't spend money and the money they spent is not done in an intelligent manner.

The team often play like they are not coached at all. The team is all about the individual effort of 2-3 entertaining players.

So they basically brand themselves as an amateur cheap ass team who is getting further behind other teams every year and hope that people throw their cash at them. Even if the tickets price is low if the overall product on the field is not there and plausible chance to win is not there it makes it hard to bring more consumers in.

Last edited:

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
As much as I want Joey to spend, there's more to success than just bringing in good players.

The top 3 western teams (Dallas, Kansas, Houston) are little spenders. Houston has a smaller cap than us, Dallas half a million more, KC 1.3M more.

Granted, the 3 biggest spenders (TFC, NYCFC and Chicago) are leading the east

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I just read some quotes from what Joey said at the recent event for the season ticket holders, about the team finances, not willing to invest more in players because of game attendance, and the need to be intelligent and efficient with our spending...

What a hypocrite. Its not like he never filled the Stade before by investing in a major DP. And its not like his team is playing in a way that fans will rush to the Stade right now.

People can put the numbers up, our spending is not efficient at all. A huge chunk of our salary cap is wasted on the bench... Oduro, Camara, Bernardello, Cabrera... (not adding Romero because circumstances).

With the poor season we're having, and no more Drogba effect, I think attendance this season has been pretty decent.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
With the poor season we're having, and no more Drogba effect, I think attendance this season has been pretty decent.

Was just gonna say... i think we are in the top 10 in mls attendance. Our stadium is normally full.

As someone alluded to earlier, its not about big spending anymore. Joey has proven to invest in star power before, however, its about smart spending now. The impact have a good roster on paper, yet, we cant seem to win games. Maybe if we didnt have 1.7 mil invested in a useless starter and depth, we'd be able to target within our needs.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Judging from my computer screen at least the SS always seems to be pretty crowded. Market wise there has to be quite a few places that are in worse shape than Montreal is.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
With some of the big spenders power house in the east (Toronto, Atlanta, NYCFC, Orlando), if they keep this mindset of not being willing to invest to compete doing the playoff will be hard. You don't have to be as crazy as them, but you at least need to be willing to spend when your team need improvement to be competitive.

Especially with a bad staff and no real scouting team. They are making it hard on themselves by badly managing their assets. So they don't spend money and the money they spent is not done in an intelligent manner.

The team often play like they are not coached at all. The team is all about the individual effort of 2-3 entertaining players.

So they basically brand themselves as an amateur cheap ass team who is getting further behind other teams every year and hope that people throw their cash at them. Even if the tickets price is low if the overall product on the field is not there and plausible chance to win is not there it makes it hard to bring more consumers in.

You see reading this is depressing as hell because it's totally on point. I've said years ago how others teams spend money and while the gap at the time between big bucks team and the cheap ones was small, things WILL definitely changed.

What a hypocrite. Its not like he never filled the Stade before by investing in a major DP. And its not like his team is playing in a way that fans will rush to the Stade right now

Wtf? He just expects people to waste their money on a **** team giving up 2 goals in the last 15?
What kind of logic is : we're not spending any money because people don't go to our games? If you're not happy with your attendance, change your formula. What a brat... He'll be the reason why IMFC will turn into the next Charlotte Bobcats.

And if you look at the current top 4 teams in East : Toronto, Chicago, NYCFC and Atlanta. We already know about Toronto, NYCFC and Atlanta but Chicago used to be a cheap team and they learned quickly that in order to be a contender you have to spend.
So Reasons why IMFC sucks
1. Cheap FO
2. Clueless/bad staff members
3. Delusional FO
4. Expensive gears
5. No scouting ressources
6. All these are very easy to improve but refuse to do so.

The only thing im looking forward to every game is Frederic Lord's humor.

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
You see reading this is depressing as hell because it's totally on point. I've said years ago how others teams spend money and while the gap at the time between big bucks team and the cheap ones was small, things WILL definitely changed.

Wtf? He just expects people to waste their money on a **** team giving up 2 goals in the last 15?
What kind of logic is : we're not spending any money because people don't go to our games? If you're not happy with your attendance, change your formula. What a brat... He'll be the reason why IMFC will turn into the next Charlotte Bobcats.

And if you look at the current top 4 teams in East : Toronto, Chicago, NYCFC and Atlanta. We already know about Toronto, NYCFC and Atlanta but Chicago used to be a cheap team and they learned quickly that in order to be a contender you have to spend.
So Reasons why IMFC sucks
1. Cheap FO
2. Clueless/bad staff members
3. Delusional FO
4. Expensive gears
5. No scouting ressources
6. All these are very easy to improve but refuse to do so.

The only thing im looking forward to every game is Frederic Lord's humor.

Once again, I don't think that money is the #1 problem. Yeah the top teams in the east are also the biggest spenders, but the top teams in the west are surprisingly all spending bellow average. LA is a very big spender and they haven't shown anything this season and last season. NYRB are known to spend very little since Henry left, yet they are a top team every year.

What is kiling us is the coach's decisions. Like someone said earlier, Mallace had his best game in a very long time, only to get subbed by a tired Bernier at the 60th minute. Mauro's subs have been god awful all year long. And remember the 3-4 games we played with 3 CBs? Worst games all season, yet Mauro kept using that formation.

We really need to look into getting some new coaching staff.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
problem no 1 is Joey refusal to look himself ( and all his crew behind him ) in the miror ... take freaking ownership Joey stop acting like a freaking baby... basically he his willing to go down with his buddies... like the mls will adapt to his amateur friends and crew okay it was very nice of you of giving them the opportunity but move on now. before you go doen with them and start bringing slowly your dad too.. instead give them a share to the team if you wanna be so generous if they have skills they will find a job elsewhere and perhaps one day come back..

feels like the habs right now just as bad if not worse..

worst time to be a sports fan in montreal

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
FO has been good in acquiring DPs. That's pretty much the only thing they're good at. All the DPs we've acquired had a positive impact, on the field at least.

Other than that, there is no scouting structure. NDS has a couple of agents friends in Argentina, and it sounds like he signs blindly a player without ever seeing him. How many total flops did we acquire from Argentina?

The coaching staff is just bad. Amateur level seriously. Biello might be good at man management, but he's a terrible tactician. Everyone can see it, yet it seems the fault lies on the fans, because why isn't SS full every game?

NewBlood

Sep 8, 2005
Richard Legendre admitted in a LaPresse+ article this morning that he couldn't name Dallas' or KC's DPs because they're "unknown". Can we please get rid of this guy? What does he do all day exactly if he doesn't even follow the league?

I guess the point he was trying to make was that some teams are still succesfull without spending a lot but if they're not willing to do so on a 3rd DP, they should follow what these teams are doing to find guys like Christian Colman (I think Legendre must remember him after Saturday) or Gerso...which is to have a real pro scouting staff. And that goes for non DPs too. Imagine if we had been able to bring over guys like Mauro Diaz or Javier Morales instead of guys like Arregui or Santiago Gonzalez or Lucas Ontivero who were never scouted properly.

Last edited:

void

Jan 5, 2006
Saw Desantis at Rockland mall and told me there is a big player coming soon. Hope it's true

This guy?

I don't know how legit this dude is but he's saying that the Impact offered $2.7M for Nazareno Solis. No idea who this player is. :huh:

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
This guy?

I don't know how legit this dude is but he's saying that the Impact offered $2.7M for Nazareno Solis. No idea who this player is. :huh:

Out of the blue lol. A quick transfermarkt analysis shows that he's 5'7, 23 yr old who plays mostly LW. There are some YT compilations but can't watch at work.

Piatti remplacement?

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
Solis is a small forward, still young, and so far he's had some success in Argentina B league (not necessarelly something to be impressed about).

He's only played a few games with Boca since they got him - came in a couple as a sub for Tevez before he left, and it seem he's not cutting it (0 goals so far).

Imo, a waste of 2.7 million for a need we dont have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad