Rumor: Montreal has contacted Anaheim about moving up to 2

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Realistically I think 5OA, Guhle, and 31 for 2OA is an acceptable offer.

For it to happen, Anaheim clearly would have a different target than Fantilli. Perhaps they want the top D? Michkov? Or maybe they’re in love with one of Dvorsky/Benson/Leonard?

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
True. Habs take Michkov and they get a guy who belongs in the top group.
I know theres a whole mess of threads on PLD but if they we're to draft Michkov and somehow get PLD having a "future" top 6 that looks like

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach/PLD
Slafkovsky - Dach/PLD - Michkov

Would be pretty deadly overall

Reactions: Fatass

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Realistically I think 5OA, Guhle, and 31 for 2OA is an acceptable offer.

For it to happen, Anaheim clearly would have a different target than Fantilli. Perhaps they want the top D? Michkov? Or maybe they’re in love with one of Dvorsky/Benson/Leonard?
5oa, our no.1 d and 31 oa for 2oa? Yeesh

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Try telling that to Anaheim

maybe they want no part of Michkov
I'll say it again, the difference between 5th overall (Smith, Carlsson or Michkov) and Fantilli is not Caufield, who is trending to score 40 this year. Debrincat last year who only had 2 years of team control left went for 7th overall. 5th + 7th as a comparable is the equivalent of Michkov + one of Leonard, Reinbacher, Dvorsky.

I'd rather keep the two pieces

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
The difference between Fantilli and Michkov is not Caufield
I read somewhere Michkov’s contract in Russia doesn’t expire until 2026? So whomever drafts him has to wait 3 years before he’s allowed to play here in North America. That certainly effects his value.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
You're probably right but I don't think it's out of the question that the Ducks take the generational scoring winger now because it's so early in the rebuild and then fill any perceived center needs with the high picks they know are coming over the next two to four years .

It's not as early in the rebuild as you suggest. Zegras, Drysdale, and Terry are all getting new contracts. If they take Michkov, by the time he comes over a number of their other young guys will also be off their ELCs. With the influx of young D starting this season and likely Fantilli coming in up front, the Ducks probably feel like they've bottomed out, I doubt they're planning on another 3 years of challenging for the top pick, unless all their young guys bust.

And if it's so easy to fill the roster need of a franchise center in a later draft then Montreal should have no interest in trading up ... Just take Michkov and find a franchise center in the next couple years, if they're so abundant. Why give up an additional asset to get one now?

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
I read somewhere Michkov’s contract in Russia doesn’t expire until 2026? So whomever drafts him has to wait 3 years before he’s allowed to play here in North America. That certainly effects his value.
If you pick him at 2nd you could say it hurts his value, but at 5th I don't think it really does. Most guys taken at 5th overall end up spending another year or two developing before ever setting foot in the NHL. So for Michkov it's essentially just 1 extra year of waiting.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not really to a rebuilding club like the Habs. Michkov would be coming over when he’s physically developed and ready to contribute in their top six on an elc. Most drafted guys don’t really contribute to at least their third year after being picked. So it could be a big advantage in a cap league.

Reactions: Colezuki

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
If you pick him at 2nd you could say it hurts his value, but at 5th I don't think it really does. Most guys taken at 5th overall end up spending another year or two developing before ever setting foot in the NHL. So for Michkov it's essentially just 1 extra year of waiting.
That’s you assuming he will develop in Russia as he would here in North America. I’m always a believer that prospects are best served developing on this side of the ocean where the team can have some level of say in his development/ training/ diet etc.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'll say it again, the difference between 5th overall (Smith, Carlsson or Michkov) and Fantilli is not Caufield, who is trending to score 40 this year. Debrincat last year who only had 2 years of team control left went for 7th overall. 5th + 7th as a comparable is the equivalent of Michkov + one of Leonard, Reinbacher, Dvorsky.

I'd rather keep the two pieces

Then keep them.

There’s a massive difference dropping from top3 to 5th in this years draft and fair value will get you nowhere

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Then keep them.

There’s a massive difference dropping from top3 to 5th in this years draft and fair value will get you nowhere
I think Caufield + 5th overall is a monsterous overpay, I'd be willing to overpay to move up, but not a monsterous one. Besides I don't think Anaheim trades the pick at all, they have a great amount of quality and quantity. They need more elite skill

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I think Caufield + 5th overall is a monsterous overpay, I'd be willing to overpay to move up, but not a monsterous one. Besides I don't think Anaheim trades the pick at all, they have a great amount of quality and quantity. They need more elite skill

Just curious, would you give up Caufield + 5 for Bedard?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Just curious, would you give up Caufield + 5 for Bedard?
I would. But only Bedard.

Picks 2-5 (Fantilli, MIchkov, Carlsson and Smith) are not seperated by a Caufield. Or a Dach. Or a Suzuki. Or a Hutson for that matter.

Michkov based on talent alone though is closer to Bedard than he is the remaining 3.

If we can get Michkov at 5, he will be the second best player in this draft.

The second overall pick (seemingly Fantilli) in this thread is being grossly overated.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I would. But only Bedard.

Picks 2-5 (Fantilli, MIchkov, Carlsson and Smith) are not seperated by a Caufield. Or a Dach. Or a Suzuki. Or a Hutson for that matter.

Michkov based on talent alone though is closer to Bedard than he is the remaining 3.

If we can get Michkov at 5, he will be the second best player in this draft.

The second overall pick (seemingly Fantilli) in this thread is being grossly overated.

Here's the thing though.....what if Michkov falls to 5 anyway.

Would you rather have Bedard? Or Caufield and Michkov?

I'm just glad I don't get tasked with making these decisions. :laugh:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Here's the thing though.....what if Michkov falls to 5 anyway.

Would you rather have Bedard? Or Caufield and Michkov?

I'm just glad I don't get tasked with making these decisions. :laugh:
Yeah....it would be tough. I think I might do it at that point.

If Chicago comes to us as we are about to pick Michkov at #5 and says we will trade recently selected #1 Bedard for #5 and Caufield. I think I might do it.

Would be incredibly tough to swallow and probably hurt us long run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad