Rumor: Montreal has contacted Anaheim about moving up to 2

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Moving out of top 4 is kinda dangerous…. Depending on your feelings towards michkov(historically Anaheim doesn’t draft many Russians but maybe that changed with pv)…. And if you think smith is on par with the top 3…. Which opinions seem pretty different on.

If I was going to move out of top 3…. I’d prob target Arizona.

2nd overall for 6 + 12 as a base
Not saying you should move out of the top 3 but historically speaking, the odds of 2 & 5 (for example) to be equally as good or one much better than the other are close enough. In terms of talent, I don’t think there is that big of a difference between Fantilli and whoever is going to be picked 5. You could get a Byfield at 2 and a Stutzle at 5 and vice versa.

I really don’t think it’s a good idea for Anaheim to move back at all but if they do decide they want to move back for X or Y reason, I don’t think the price would be astronomical. 5 & 31 should be enough. 6 & 12 for 2 & 34 should be enough as well.

However, if Anaheim doesn’t want to move down (which I don’t think they should but you never know anyway) then yeah, the ask should be high enough that it the cost to acquire to move up the draft isn’t worth it for the acquiring team

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
50% chance that the 2oa pick ends up significantly better than Suzuki, (svech, eichel, seguin) about a 25% chance that they're good enough to justify the trade (hedman, doughty, barkov)

I can understand why ducks don't want to do it but it would be insane for the habs to do it as well
Totally agree. There is a reason top 3 picks don’t get moved. It costs way to much to be worth the risk.

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
Cause most of us think eventually zegras/mctavish will slot at wing.

Strength down middle is important, specially in western conference…. Getting a big strong center like fantilli or carlsson would be a priority to us
I understand the thought process but I think it's going to be hard to pass on a player who stood shoulder to shoulder , 1a-1b with Bedard before Putins military adventure in Ukraine . The Ducks should be picking high enough next couple of years(top 5) to draft big centers if needs be .

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I understand the thought process but I think it's going to be hard to pass on a player who stood shoulder to shoulder , 1a-1b with Bedard before Putins military adventure in Ukraine . The Ducks should be picking high enough next couple of years(top 5) to draft big centers if needs be .

Habs fans really need to wake up to reality

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If this is the case wouldn't Montreal be thrilled he'll likely drop to them at 5 rather than trading up to pick someone else?

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It makes sense to offer the ask for Dubois to move up the ladder. I rather have a cost controlle Fentilli then an 8 million Dubois.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think the Habs would be fine with Smith or Leonard but there's no harm stoking the flames. I just don't see the point in giving up substantial assets for anyone other than Bedard who isn't available.

Reactions: vokiel

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Personally I'd rather have Slafkovsky and Michkov than Fantilli (re: Slaf + 5thOA offers). But I could be wrong for sure.

Dach + unprotected 2024 1st would probably be my best offer.

Don't see why Anaheim takes it tbh.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Do you mean the reality where posters opine on possible outcomes of things that haven't happened yet ?

From the World where they think they are close to acquiring the 2nd overall pick.

There’s zero reports on Anaheim shopping the pick/willing to move the pick.
It’s fully Habs driven fantasy

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
From the World where they think they are close to acquiring the 2nd overall pick.

In their defense, there wouldn’t be rumors out of Anaheim. They are as tight lipped as anyone.

I agree this is Montreal media driven though.

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006

What does any of this have to do with my opinion that the Ducks should draft Michkov with the number two pick ?

Reactions: MarioLeMoose

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
What does any of this have to do with my opinion that the Ducks should draft Michkov with the number two pick ?
Ducks won't draft Michkov at #2. The organization has not had a lot of success with KHL players, his availability is too uncertain, Verbeek wants to draft bigger players and Michkov doesn't fill our biggest need (#1C). Too many risks here for Anaheim to consider unless there is some unknown (and unrealistic) scenario where they move down to pick him later.

If he makes to the 2nd round then maybe .... :laugh:

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014

I don’t think anyone actually thinks moving up from 5 to 2 is happening. Nor or the ridiculous overpays people are suggesting. Anaheim isn’t moving that pick and even if they were willing Montréal certainly would t be interested in giving up the some of the packages suggested here

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
Ducks won't draft Michkov at #2. The organization has not had a lot of success with KHL players, his availability is too uncertain, Verbeek wants to draft bigger players and Michkov doesn't fill our biggest need (#1C). Too many risks here for Anaheim to consider unless there is some unknown (and unrealistic) scenario where they move down to pick him later.

If he makes to the 2nd round then maybe .... :laugh:
You're probably right but I don't think it's out of the question that the Ducks take the generational scoring winger now because it's so early in the rebuild and then fill any perceived center needs with the high picks they know are coming over the next two to four years . Combine that with the young defensemen they already have in the fold , and it seems like a very a viable way of going forward for the team . Either way it's a win win situation for the Ducks .

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You're probably right but I don't think it's out of the question that the Ducks take the generational scoring winger now because it's so early in the rebuild and then fill any perceived center needs with the high picks they know are coming over the next two to four years . Combine that with the young defensemen they already have in the fold , and it seems like a very a viable way of going forward for the team . Either way it's a win win situation for the Ducks .
Please. You can do all the mental gymnastic you want but this is just not happening.

pickles555

Jun 5, 2023
This news and thread is a moot point,

I'm sure Montreal has inquired about moving up to #1, #2, #3, and #4

But, that is all it is, is an inquiry

There will be no movement in the top 5 positions this draft, to even think there will be, is ridiculous

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'm sure Montreal has inquired about moving up to #1, #2, #3, and #4

But, that is all it is, is an inquiry

There will be no movement in the top 5 positions this draft, to even think there will be, is ridiculous
Yup. The difference in getting one of those four great centres and the guy at five is huge. Big drop off at five. It’s where the next group (about 8-10 deep) all kind of jumble together. The cost to move up even one spot would be prohibitive.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Yup. The difference in getting one of those four great centres and the guy at five is huge. Big drop off at five. It’s where the next group (about 8-10 deep) all kind of jumble together. The cost to move up even one spot would be prohibitive.
Except that drop off at five is only the case if you assume Michkov isn't a top 5 talent which everyone does, the only issue is his contract status.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Except that drop off at five is only the case if you assume Michkov isn't a top 5 talent which everyone does, the only issue is his contract status.
True. Habs take Michkov and they get a guy who belongs in the top group.

Reactions: Colezuki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad