Rumor: Montreal has contacted Anaheim about moving up to 2

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Unless Anaheim was targeting Michkov, I'd imagine they would politely decline. I don't think this is a case where you stack a bunch of draft picks and the other team says yes.

Florida approached Colorado about flip flopping #1 and #2 in 2013. Columbus offered something to flip #3 to Winnipeg for #2 in 2016. Vegas tried to move up from #6 to #3 in 2017 but Dallas said no. LA pinged the Rangers a couple times about swapping #2+ for #1 in 2020.

The only times a team has traded down is if they still landed the guy they were originally targeting. Off the top of my head:

1993: One co-GM made the team take Viktor Kozlov, while the other co-GM traded down while still getting him.
1998: San Jose had just drafted Patrick Marleau so they wanted a D instead of David Legwand.
1999: Tampa (and NYR) preferred Pavel Brendl, so Tampa safely traded down with Vancouver.
2002: Florida was going to take Jay Bouwmeester #1, but they worked out a creative deal and still got Bouwmeester at #3.
2003: Florida had Nathan Horton on top and figured they could trade down and still get him.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Cost I imagine is next years first unprotected and another asset.

If you are the ducks you can take a good center now risk free and know you likely have a future #1 C, the hardest spot to get. And no further proof than Canadians wanting a center badly this far into their rebuild.

On the other, the Ducks will be bad for many years and will get their #1 C. If they think the Habs pick top 10 next year, they would essentially get 5th OA + top 10 lottery pick + some highend prospect.

It is a huge ask to basically slow down the rebuild like that though, even if in the long term they get more value. The price is probably even higher than I said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad