OT: Montreal getting a new /old ball park for $750 Million maybe 1 Billion

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Every damn time it comes to baseball in Montreal, you have someone saying soccer has replaced baseball in Montreal. There is a small proportion of Montrealers who are interested in it, but it remains very marginal. Soccer has never replaced baseball in Quebec's culture. It never will. No one is interested in soccer in this province. When the Impact or whatever you call it makes the playoffs, no one cares. No one is able to name a single player from this team. When a player is traded, nobody cares. Give me a f***ing break ..
Because the expos had more history and nostalgia. The kids playing soccer and watching MLS will grow and eventually the soccer fans will massively outnumber the baseball fans.

Just look at the inscription for kids playing sport. Hockey, Soccer, Basketball and Football outnumber baseball significantly.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Because the expos had more history and nostalgia. The kids playing soccer and watching MLS will grow and eventually the soccer fans will massively outnumber the baseball fans.

Just look at the inscription for kids playing sport. Hockey, Soccer, Basketball and Football outnumber baseball significantly.

Kids playing soccer have for years basically outnumbered all the other sports combined, eventually it really will be soccer, cricket ( ;) ), basketball/hockey, the rest

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Every damn time it comes to baseball in Montreal, you have someone saying soccer has replaced baseball in Montreal. There is a small proportion of Montrealers who are interested in it, but it remains very marginal. Soccer has never replaced baseball in Quebec's culture. It never will. No one is interested in soccer in this province. When the Impact or whatever you call it makes the playoffs, no one cares. No one is able to name a single player from this team. When a player is traded, nobody cares. Give me a f***ing break ..

It's in great part the minorities in Montreal that has expanded the interest in le feute.

I played it as a kid, but it was rarely a sport kids practiced for fun. Soccer leagues were already very prevelant in the 80's, but in the summer, it was the diamond or the bball court for most kids. I also remember most of my friends who played soccer were 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation immigrants from France, Italy, Laos and Vietnam. All the pure laines I knew never bothered with soccer.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Wish the Expos back. Great memories growing up as a kid. Steve Rogers, Rusty Staub, Woody Fryman, Duke Snider. But I know they will never be back.

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval

Sorry to disappoint you but the real deal is not happening in North America. The MLS remains the equivalent of the AHL in hockey. People know it. That's why soccer will never spark passions the way baseball, hockey, or even the NFL does here. Young people playing soccer won't change that. I have young children and the only players they can name are Mbappé or Ronaldo..
When they are hasbeens they are going to come and make money in MLS. Nothing very shiny. The majority of MLS players are a bunch of plugs who could never play in the big leagues. People in North America are not as stupid as you may think.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
BS…. lack of true baseball fans was the “major reason”… especially post early 80s mass exodus

There’s a reason in 1990 Expos radio & TV revenue wasn’t even in the same stratosphere as the 2nd lowest in MLB .. and it only got worse
Not bs. I was a big fan but was a horrible baseball experience . Baseball a sport of summer , I want to be outdoor and enjoy a drink or two after the office , not go to a depressing toilet bowl over an hour Commute ! With nothing to enjoy before or after in the area

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Sorry to disappoint you but the real deal is not happening in North America. The MLS remains the equivalent of the AHL in hockey. People know it. That's why soccer will never spark passions the way baseball, hockey, or even the NFL does here. Young people playing soccer won't change that. I have young children and the only players they can name are Mbappé or Ronaldo..
When they are hasbeens they are going to come and make money in MLS. Nothing very shiny. The majority of MLS players are a bunch of plugs who could never play in the big leagues. People in North America are not as stupid as you may think.
It might or might not happen but Soccer popularity has grown a lot the past few years in North America. I am already seeing the huge difference myself, an euro sport fan avid. Sorry but if you don't love soccer it's fine, many people don't like the sport but whatever you hate or love, the sport is growing and it will eventually threaten other sports in the top 5. The biggest/most popular sport in the world and america huge sport fanatic are a match that will eventually happen.

As for Baseball, it is a nostalgia sports in Montreal, nothing more. If not for Bronfman, nobody would talk about having a baseball team back.

Hard to compare both when one is growing while the other one is diminshing. Let's revisit in 10 years.

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval
It might or might not happen but Soccer popularity has grown a lot the past few years in North America. I am already seeing the huge difference myself, an euro sport fan avid. Sorry but if you don't love soccer it's fine, many people don't like the sport but whatever you hate or love, the sport is growing and it will eventually threaten other sports in the top 5. The biggest/most popular sport in the world and america huge sport fanatic are a match that will eventually happen.

As for Baseball, it is a nostalgia sports in Montreal, nothing more. If not for Bronfman, nobody would talk about having a baseball team back.

Hard to compare both when one is growing while the other one is diminshing. Let's revisit in 10 years.
It's strange because I remember hearing the same speech when the Manic played in Montreal in the 80s. Apparently it's a very, very slow process.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It's strange because I remember hearing the same speech when the Manic played in Montreal in the 80s. Apparently it's a very, very slow process.
Manic, I was not even born jeez... This is the generation of social media, online stream and video games. All of them have attracted plenty of interest to the game. The most revenue for video games in North America are Madden and FIFA in a landslide, believe it or not and honestly I don't give a f***.

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval
Manic, I was not even born jeez... This is the generation of social media, online stream and video games. All of them have attracted plenty of interest to the game. The most revenue for video games in North America are Madden and FIFA in a landslide, believe it or not and honestly I don't give a f***.

Oh, we're starting to get aggressive here. Very constructive. That said, I don't see the connection between the fact that you were born in 2000 whatever and that we've been promising the explosion of soccer in Canada for 40 years. But since you don't give a f***, keep dreaming ;)

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Oh, we're starting to get aggressive here. Very constructive. That said, I don't see the connection between the fact that you were born in 2000 whatever and that we've been promising the explosion of soccer in Canada for 40 years. But since you don't give a f***, keep dreaming ;)
You came taking shot at the sport, just intuition, that's why. I was born in the 1980s for the record. Explosion of the sport in Canada, no, canada is hockey only, at least Montreal. In the USA, yes! Massively. Altough the interest will grow in Canada never to the extend of the US. TV deals and audience will dictate the next step of the MLS.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
We're literally letting a million people in each year, including over a quarter from India. Even if only ten percent land in Quebec you're still going to have the local culture destroyed or replaced. In Ontario in my small town there aren't even locals anymore, there's American tourists, Canadian retirees from Toronto, and new immigrants. All of our cultural events are gone and replaced by generic festivals catered to tourists. Our beaches are entirely for profit now and the water is literally too dirty to swim in anymore where everyone my age and younger grew up in that water.

I'm not anti-immigration but this is the reality when your country's births are below replacement level and you need to import people to take the lowest quality jobs because everyone raised in Canada has a degree, a college diploma, or took an apprenticeship for a trade. Soccer will replace both hockey and baseball over time unless Canadians start having more children. Hockey is literally dying here, both my local rinks don't even have enough kids to run leagues anymore, just scrimmages. Even 10-15 years ago they would have 5 or 6 teams per age group.

Baseball is just straight up dying. The last three world series are the three least watched world series in history. Nobody grows up wanting to be Babe Ruth or any of the 90's roidheads anymore. My local baseball diamonds literally don't even operate anymore, they didn't have enough interest for even two teams and you know kids leagues can field a team with 8 or 9 players and require absolutely ridiculously low fees compared to hockey where the league has to rent ice. We had about seven diamonds in town and at least three of them have been converted into soccer fields which are absolutely packed in summer.

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval
We're literally letting a million people in each year, including over a quarter from India. Even if only ten percent land in Quebec you're still going to have the local culture destroyed or replaced. In Ontario in my small town there aren't even locals anymore, there's American tourists, Canadian retirees from Toronto, and new immigrants. All of our cultural events are gone and replaced by generic festivals catered to tourists. Our beaches are entirely for profit now and the water is literally too dirty to swim in anymore where everyone my age and younger grew up in that water.

I'm not anti-immigration but this is the reality when your country's births are below replacement level and you need to import people to take the lowest quality jobs because everyone raised in Canada has a degree, a college diploma, or took an apprenticeship for a trade. Soccer will replace both hockey and baseball over time unless Canadians start having more children. Hockey is literally dying here, both my local rinks don't even have enough kids to run leagues anymore, just scrimmages. Even 10-15 years ago they would have 5 or 6 teams per age group.

Baseball is just straight up dying. The last three world series are the three least watched world series in history. Nobody grows up wanting to be Babe Ruth or any of the 90's roidheads anymore. My local baseball diamonds literally don't even operate anymore, they didn't have enough interest for even two teams and you know kids leagues can field a team with 8 or 9 players and require absolutely ridiculously low fees compared to hockey where the league has to rent ice. We had about seven diamonds in town and at least three of them have been converted into soccer fields which are absolutely packed in summer.

If you move to Germany, are you going to start believing that the Deutsche Eishockey Liga is the best hockey league in the world? I don't think so. Like the people who were born here, (I am the son of an immigrant myself), and all the immigrants I know know very well that MLS is a bush league. That's not about to change...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Soccer remains a very marginal sports in Quebec. It's cheap to play so kids will play it but that doesn't mean the sports is popular. The problem with baseball is you need at least around 12 people to play a game. Everyone of them must have a glove and you need at least 2-3 bats in case one break and a few balls. And you need a baseball field one that is big enough that you wont hurt someone if you hit the ball hard (which was a big problem for us when i was a teen).

At my job i'd say around 70% of people follow hockey. American Football is very popular too. Golf is quite popular. We have like one real soccer fan. One real rugby 13 fan. We have a couple of baseball fans. The baseball team in quebec city is quite popular many people at my job go see it a few times a year.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
If you move to Germany, are you going to start believing that the Deutsche Eishockey Liga is the best hockey league in the world? I don't think so. Like the people who were born here, (I am the son of an immigrant myself), and all the immigrants I know know very well that MLS is a bush league. That's not about to change...
Oh I don't think MLS is going to pass anything, I would never have a desire to watch tenth-tier sports. I just think soccer is going to become more popular and you'll start to see TV deals for the top European leagues. I already see soccer jerseys from English/Spanish leagues around town now.

Reactions: George Lebay

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

One thing FC Montreal will never have on the Expos is that they don't play in their sport's best league.

Slice it however you want, an MLB team will always have more potential pull than a soccer team in Montreal by virtue of being an MLB team. Even if soccer itself is more played/popular than baseball. It's not supernatural.

The amount of soccer fans in Montreal (especially immigrants or second/third generations) who follow European soccer more than MLS must be massive. It's completely normal. Doesn't mean that the MLS isn't fun/worth watching and following but the fact that it's (in terms of world football) a lower league will always stop it from completely popping off.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
But even before the Expos came in, baseball was big in this province, it was part of our culture, everybody was playing it, son, fathers, cousins, uncles, friends. There were countless baseball leagues. It's not in our culture anymore. It started to dimish in the 80s in fact when kids started to play soccer more than baseball. Now it practically does not exist.

About the NFL, never say never. It would be a good project to contemplate. People from all over would come to watch the games. And there's not a lot of games to boot so there's less of a comittment fan-wise.

The NFL will never, ever, ever, ever, ever step foot in Montreal.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
The likely 2023 ballon d’or winner is currently in the MLS. Call him old if you want but not a has been.

I heard (not sure about this though) that the MLS is a bigger tv draw than the NHL. It’s heading towards growth.

I loved the expos, but honestly MLB is a dying sport. It’s actually quite boring as a spectator sport when your own team is not involved. On the other hand, I watch NFL and European soccer all the time even when my teams are not involved. Some NBA. I’ll watch some postseason baseball occasionally but sabermetrics has ruined the sport with strikeouts and long balls. What I always loved about the expos is their ability to manufacture runs. BB, steal, sac, sac. Home runs were rarer but for that reason more exciting. There was a lot more intrigue with guys on base.

Reactions: torontoblood

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Lol. People drive 3-4 hours to see games. Heck, I'm going to a Red Sox games in Boston in a month.

People drive 75+ minutes from the suburbs to go work in Montreal.

This is BS, if people wanted to go see baseball, they would. 45 mins is nothing.

Vast majority of ballparks are built right downtown or very close to it.

As for people driving 75 mins to go to work. First off, my sincere apologies. Secondly, it's highly doubtful they have time to then go to another part of the city after work to catch a ballgame, whether they have other commitments or not.

I live out in Vancouver, and one of the parts I liked about it (when I was single and younger) was that I can catch a game downtown, and then immediately step outside and carry on the energy outside.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

BTW - those of Indian heritage in Canada & US are huge baseball fans driven by cricket culture … soccer barely even registers for the largest populace in the world.

Drafting of Arjun Nimmala in this years 1st round was a savvy move by Blow Jays. Why they haven’t been specifically targeting the South Asian diaspora (Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan) fanbase is beyond me considering Toronto has the largest diaspora outside of the greater Indian sub-continent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezpz

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Big O was in such a terrible area,skuzy neighborhood and nothing to do. I thought it was only suppose to be a temporary home.:dunno:
Didn't feel safe there and when the Stones played 2000 light years from home,the place was really reverberating,felt iffy and me and Mick looked up at the roof.:eek2:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad