OT: Montreal getting a new /old ball park for $750 Million maybe 1 Billion

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Sorry to disappoint you but the real deal is not happening in North America. The MLS remains the equivalent of the AHL in hockey. People know it. That's why soccer will never spark passions the way baseball, hockey, or even the NFL does here. Young people playing soccer won't change that. I have young children and the only players they can name are Mbappé or Ronaldo..
When they are hasbeens they are going to come and make money in MLS. Nothing very shiny. The majority of MLS players are a bunch of plugs who could never play in the big leagues. People in North America are not as stupid as you may think.

Zlatan was a still a top flight player when he got to MLS and so is messi right now, so it's not all has beens anymore.

I think in the long run, MLS has ambitions to become a bigger player in league football, and if they get there, it also opens up the world market as well as the domestic market.

When messi signed with Miami, they instantly became the most followed club in North American sports on social media.

For now, MLS clubs should be selling the spice of crowd, because the league itself on a whole is very mediocre, but it's certainly a different fan experience than going to a NHL or nba game.

I can see how it is when it's done right. Seattle would consistently get over 30k fans for MLS games , and that is a city with an NFL, and MLB team already (and now NHL team).

Reactions: the

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
When messi signed with Miami, they instantly became the most followed club in North American sports on social media.
If the Expos were still alive and somehow managed to get Shohei Ohtani , would that make them the favorites to win the World Series? One player can have that kind of influence on a team. Not even Messi or Ronaldo in their prime were even close to that kind of awesomeness.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If the Expos were still alive and somehow managed to get Shohei Ohtani , would that make them the favorites to win the World Series? One player can have that kind of influence on a team. Not even Messi or Ronaldo in their prime were even close to that kind of awesomeness.

Thats a different topic of conversation, but I'm talking strictly from a popularity standpoint. Football is the king sport in terms of popularity, and messi/Ronaldo were the poster boys of that sport for well over a decade, and messi coming off his world cup win is still going strong.

They will drive more eyeballs from a global perspective than any baseball player.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Thats a different topic of conversation, but I'm talking strictly from a popularity standpoint. Football is the king sport in terms of popularity, and messi/Ronaldo were the poster boys of that sport for well over a decade, and messi coming off his world cup win is still going strong.

They will drive more eyeballs from a global perspective than any baseball player.
True that the US (N.A.) and Japan are the only baseball hot spots whereas foot is Universal. But even sportscasters, and their crews to opposing players will all stop what they're doing and stare in wonder when Shohei steps up to the plate.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Are you a fan of World Cup?

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval

That would explain why MLS playoffs are way, way more popular than the World Series, the Super Bowl, and even the NHL playoffs.

• Wow
Reactions: the

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad