Eklund Rumor: Montreal discussing Gaudreau

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Two middle six wingers, a bottom pairing defenseman, and an expensive backup goalie. Really not like that's some super special off season or anything, especially considering they traded a young productive player for an older less productive player and then payed him exorbitantly.

Did you see the team Tampa Bay put together this year? The Habs are no where close.
Well my question was in comparison to Calgary to begin with . I agree that Tampa was far off however it appears that 2-3 players will be removed from that lineup because of the cap . I’m optimistic that Anderson and toffoli will be helping us close that gap . Time will tell. With the new additions we can skate and compete with any team in the east not named Tampa . It remains to be seen what the gap will be with Tampa .

Reactions: Sick Nuzuki

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Granlund/Haula wouldn’t be bad value adds. And how exactly will you sign a player under contract?
Hanifin is much better than any of those 3, so make room for him. Romanov hasn’t played an NHL game yet and Edmundson is beyond terrible, you’re in trouble if you’re playing him anything other than bottom pair sheltered minutes.
You could always trade guys like Byron and Tatar in this scenario to open up cap space. And no Calgary is loaded on D. Gio/Ras/Valimaki/Tanev are locks with Kylington/Mackey/Nesterov/Yelesin looking for minutes

Doing this trade and then trying to flip several other guys to clear cap is not something the Habs or any other team will want to do. Probably need a 3rd team in the mix like the Duchene trade (Sens-Avs-Preds).

Habs are not going to make that trade then then try to move out $5M - $10M in contracts. You see what Tampa is going through? Deal has to make sense for the Flames and Habs and also fit both our caps. Very difficult to make each other happy

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Doing this trade and then trying to flip several other guys to clear cap is not something the Habs or any other team will want to do. Probably need a 3rd team in the mix like the Duchene trade (Sens-Avs-Preds).

Habs are not going to make that trade then then try to move out $5M - $10M in contracts. You see what Tampa is going through? Deal has to make sense for the Flames and Habs and also fit both our caps. Very difficult to make each other happy
I didn’t look that deep into it concerning cap, I was just making a counteroffer to the OP, but I think a deal between these two teams could make sense

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I sense some condescending language in that you feel Montreal is light years away from a cup . With our additions this year I like our chances better than Calgary’s . Wouldn’t you agree?
Ya, I'd agree with you....but only if the Gaudreau trade went down with Drouin& Tarts as the main pieces.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I didn’t look that deep into it concerning cap, I was just making a counteroffer to the OP, but I think a deal between these two teams could make sense

Just chit chat. I can see a deal but not an easy one to sort out. Very difficult to make both sides happy. And the major question is should the Habs go all in on Gaudreau for his 2 years left while Price and Weber still has good years left. Habs would be very interested but we can't trade Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, or Romanov. And if Danault is part of the deal, who are the Habs going to find to replace the 200' center value that Danault brings with the two young centers in the mix? Pieces like Caufield, Guhle, Norlinder, Tatar, Drouin could be on the table though.

The base of my offer would be..
- Drouin or Tatar (with extension)
- One of Caufield or Guhle
- Possible 2021 1st
- Weal and Kulak or Byron to make the cap work

If that is not something the Flames are interested in, Habs are likely out.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Two middle six wingers, a bottom pairing defenseman, and an expensive backup goalie. Really not like that's some super special off season or anything, especially considering they traded a young productive player for an older less productive player and then payed him exorbitantly.

Did you see the team Tampa Bay put together this year? The Habs are no where close.
You do know Price has been forced to play almost all games since Halak left right? The Habs haven't had a decent back up goalie since Halak left town. So I am taking a wait and see this season because finally Price can get some rest. Also we did add two middling wingers but it was needed badly because we did not have the choice to move wingers up and down the line up if they were playing bad. If Drouin plays badly we can finally move him down to the third line if we wanted to and we couldn't do it before because he was sadly one of our best LW. Hopefully the new additions set a fire under this teams ass and they play good exciting hockey and make the playoffs without depending on the last couple games to decide it.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You do know Price has been forced to play almost all games since Halak left right? The Habs haven't had a decent back up goalie since Halak left town. So I am taking a wait and see this season because finally Price can get some rest. Also we did add two middling wingers but it was needed badly because we did not have the choice to move wingers up and down the line up if they were playing bad. If Drouin plays badly we can finally move him down to the third line if we wanted to and we couldn't do it before because he was sadly one of our best LW. Hopefully the new additions set a fire under this teams ass and they play good exciting hockey and make the playoffs without depending on the last couple games to decide it.
I honestly think the Habs are closer to a rebuild than they are to contending. I don't even see a playoff team there honestly unless guys like Kotkaniemi and Suzuki grow a lot and guys like Weber and Petry don't decline. That's a lot of Ifs. They were 10 points out of a real playoff spot last year.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Why is this still alive? MTL can't afford Gaudreau. It's just not in MB's cap structure to do it.

I honestly think the Habs are closer to a rebuild than they are to contending. I don't even see a playoff team there honestly unless guys like Kotkaniemi and Suzuki grow a lot and guys like Weber and Petry don't decline. That's a lot of Ifs. They were 10 points out of a real playoff spot last year.

You don't? G & D were reinforced, no question. Just like we're Sandin-aware here in MTL now, you'll get to know Romanov pretty quick. As for offense we're going from this, to that:

Rosters posted from Games 1 and 2 (Round 1):

Tatar - Suzuki - Gallagher
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Lehkonen - Danault - Byron
Belzile - Domi - Weise

**********KK getting 3rd C ice time to start the year (goes up if no conditioning issues in the condensed season):

Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Toffoli
Byron - Evans - Armia

There are several "so what" statements to the new depth created up front as a result of the off-season. Not sure if you're accounting for everything, but FWIW the owner thinks we're set.

Canadiens' Molson: team has foundation 'that can be good for many years'

“We’ve got the foundation now for a team that can be good for many years,” said Molson.

And of this coming one?

“Marc filled every hole that he said he was going to fill, so I think that’s really exciting,” Molson said. “I’m really excited about this year coming up.”

“We have a team that should make the playoffs, I can tell you that,” he added. “And I think the team and the organization and the fans would be extremely disappointed if we didn’t. I think we’ve gotten to the point where we can. So, with that in mind, it would be disappointing if we didn’t.”

On a potential Canadian div:

Canadiens Mailbag: How would Montreal fare in an all-Canadian division?

I see it as Leafs, followed by the Canadiens, Flames, Oilers, Canucks and Jets in a dogfight. And it wouldn’t surprise me if any one of those five teams finished ahead of the Leafs, either.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Why is this still alive? MTL can't afford Gaudreau. It's just not in MB's cap structure to do it.

You don't? G & D were reinforced, no question. Just like we're Sandin-aware here in MTL now, you'll get to know Romanov pretty quick. As for offense we're going from this, to that:

Rosters posted from Games 1 and 2 (Round 1):

Tatar - Suzuki - Gallagher
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Lehkonen - Danault - Byron
Belzile - Domi - Weise

**********KK getting 3rd C ice time to start the year (goes up if no conditioning issues in the condensed season):

Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Toffoli
Byron - Evans - Armia

There are several "so what" statements to the new depth created up front as a result of the off-season. Not sure if you're accounting for everything, but FWIW the owner thinks we're set.

“We’ve got the foundation now for a team that can be good for many years,” said Molson.

And of this coming one?

“Marc filled every hole that he said he was going to fill, so I think that’s really exciting,” Molson said. “I’m really excited about this year coming up.”

“We have a team that should make the playoffs, I can tell you that,” he added. “And I think the team and the organization and the fans would be extremely disappointed if we didn’t. I think we’ve gotten to the point where we can. So, with that in mind, it would be disappointing if we didn’t.”

I see it as Leafs, followed by the Canadiens, Flames, Oilers, Canucks and Jets in a dogfight. And it wouldn’t surprise me if any one of those five teams finished ahead of the Leafs, either.
I'm not a Leafs fan. I'm a Flames fan. I don't hate the Habs or anything. Just looking at that first line it's not really even close to a first line. Our forward group isn't anything to write home about and and we have 3 guys that are better than anyone on that roster. Was goaltending really the thing that the Habs needed? Is 14M in cap space on goaltending productive in the NHL now? The Flames are at 9M and I'd argue that's too much.

The owner being bullish isn't really a selling point for me. Adding a guy who scored 1 goal last year and has 1 20 goal season then paying that guy 5.5M for 7 years seems a little hopeful too.

I haven't watched Romanov outside of the WJHC where I was impressed by his play, but he is 20, counting on him to be a major contributor is probably a little hopeful as well.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I'm not a Leafs fan. I'm a Flames fan. I don't hate the Habs or anything. Just looking at that first line it's not really even close to a first line. Our forward group isn't anything to write home about and and we have 3 guys that are better than anyone on that roster. Was goaltending really the thing that the Habs needed? Is 14M in cap space on goaltending productive in the NHL now? The Flames are at 9M and I'd argue that's too much.

The owner being bullish isn't really a selling point for me. Adding a guy who scored 1 goal last year and has 1 20 goal season then paying that guy 5.5M for 7 years seems a little hopeful too.

I haven't watched Romanov outside of the WJHC where I was impressed by his play, but he is 20, counting on him to be a major contributor is probably a little hopeful as well.

It was always going to be a high combined cap hit for goaltending with Price's contract. Most of us are past the acceptance stage... that being said, the Niemis - Scrivens - Kinkaids and other Lindgrens have given up untimely goals by the crap loads in the past, and Allen will be leaned on for a net plus in points at the end of the year.

Have you seen a lot of Anderson as a Flames fan? Do you know when the last time was where the Habs iced a power forward in his prime years?

Romanov will be mighty fine on a 3rd pairing this year, it'll be refreshing from icing Ouellet-Mete in the play-ins and playoffs. Some analysts have him on the 2nd pairing by the end of the season.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It was always going to be a high combined cap hit for goaltending with Price's contract. Most of us are past the acceptance stage... that being said, the Niemis - Scrivens - Kinkaids and other Lindgrens have given up untimely goals by the crap loads in the past, and Allen will be leaned on for a net plus in points at the end of the year.

Have you seen a lot of Anderson as a Flames fan? Do you know when the last time was where the Habs iced a power forward in his prime years?

Romanov will be mighty fine on a 3rd pairing this year, it'll be refreshing from icing Ouellet-Mete in the play-ins and playoffs. Some analysts have him on the 2nd pairing by the end of the season.
Yes Allen is an upgrade on those guys for sure. But he also makes tandem money and will be the clear backup. You'll definitely be better in net but at the price of a top 6 forward upgrade.

I've seen a lot of Anderson yes. He's been rumored to Calgary for years. He reminds me of Rene Bourque/Michael Ferland. A guy who when he is on can be an extremely effective player, but is only on occasionally. I was terrified the Flames were going to trade for him. A ton of the bad NHL trades/signings have been chasing guys with power forward tools.

I like Romanov a lot and agree with your assessment, but I've only watched him in the WJHC which is a relatively small sample size.

I guess I just see a lot of "ifs" with this roster. Banking on all of those ifs to pan out is not a good bet in my opinion. This was a 12th place team. They did improve the roster, but it's still only a top end roster if Suzuki becomes a 1C this year and Kotkaniemi becomes a 2C and no one declines on the blueline and Anderson becomes that 30 goal power forward you're hoping for. That's a lot of ifs.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I sense some condescending language in that you feel Montreal is light years away from a cup . With our additions this year I like our chances better than Calgary’s . Wouldn’t you agree?
Actually I don't agree but really.. who cares? What matters is how you feel about your team and how the fanbase feels. If you feel that the Habs are a competitive playoff team.. great. I don't think so but that's just my opinion.
Are the Flames a competitive playoff team? Well they're a legit playoff team and they didn't roll over and play dead when playing a team that went all the way to the finals this past playoffs. I mean... its not like they lost to Chicago.

Do the Flames need to get better to get to the finals themselves? Absolutely.... but at this point in time I think they are better than Montreal. Overall they have better players and they have a better win/loss record the past couple of seasons.

Don't judge the Flames by this past regular season when they had to fire their coach because of scandal... and the Flames players had obviously tuned him out as illustrated by their lousy play before the firing. Elevating Geoff Ward to Head Coach made a huge difference. In the 42 games that Ward coached the Flames they went on to a 24-16-3 record. That's a .607% win record. Not too shabby.

And this offseason the Flames have upgraded the goalie position through signing Markstrom, they replaced Hamonic on defense with Tanev which is an upgrade. They didn't bother to re-sign a few 4th line players which is no big deal and easily replaced. Is there a hole on the right side of the first d-line? Right now yes, but the Flames are hoping the Rasmus Andersson can make that next step to fill it.

I also believe that Treliving is working on changing the look of the Flames top line (Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm). Personally I think if anyone is traded from that line it will be Monahan. If that happens Lindholm will move to center (I believe thats an upgrade over Monahan) and Treliving will trade for a legit RW sniper.

So yes... I think the Flames are a better team than Montreal and if Treliving can make the trade deal that he wants, they will get even better.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Actually I don't agree but really.. who cares? What matters is how you feel about your team and how the fanbase feels. If you feel that the Habs are a competitive playoff team.. great. I don't think so but that's just my opinion.
Are the Flames a competitive playoff team? Well they're a legit playoff team and they didn't roll over and play dead when playing a team that went all the way to the finals this past playoffs. I mean... its not like they lost to Chicago.

Do the Flames need to get better to get to the finals themselves? Absolutely.... but at this point in time I think they are better than Montreal. Overall they have better players and they have a better win/loss record the past couple of seasons.

Don't judge the Flames by this past regular season when they had to fire their coach because of scandal... and the Flames players had obviously tuned him out as illustrated by their lousy play before the firing. Elevating Geoff Ward to Head Coach made a huge difference. In the 42 games that Ward coached the Flames they went on to a 24-16-3 record. That's a .607% win record. Not too shabby.

And this offseason the Flames have upgraded the goalie position through signing Markstrom, they replaced Hamonic on defense with Tanev which is an upgrade. They didn't bother to re-sign a few 4th line players which is no big deal and easily replaced. Is there a hole on the right side of the first d-line? Right now yes, but the Flames are hoping the Rasmus Andersson can make that next step to fill it.

I also believe that Treliving is working on changing the look of the Flames top line (Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm). Personally I think if anyone is traded from that line it will be Monahan. If that happens Lindholm will move to center (I believe thats an upgrade over Monahan) and Treliving will trade for a legit RW sniper.

So yes... I think the Flames are a better team than Montreal and if Treliving can make the trade deal that he wants, they will get even better.
I would support that line of thinking. Moving Lindholm to center and trading Monahan would mean every center we have is a plus defensive center and 2 of them are elite in Backlund and Lindholm. I think we are a better team moving Monahan if we can get a top 6 RS RW. Even if we got back a Buchnevich type player with a pick and prospect the roster might shake out better. We would miss Monahan most on PP1 and in the faceoff dot. Those are the only places we would be worse, but our 5-5 play would be better.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

And of this coming one?

LOL.. I don't put a lot of stock in what the team owner says and what some sports writer shill for the Canadiens says. To see that you do says something.
Their whole job is to pump team's tires and get the fanbase excited about the upcoming season. They certainly aren't going to say that the Canadiens still aren't very good and will likely be struggling to make the playoffs again.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
LOL.. I don't put a lot of stock in what the team owner says and what some sports writer shill for the Canadiens says. To see that you do says something.
Their whole job is to pump team's tires and get the fanbase excited about the upcoming season. They certainly aren't going to say that the Canadiens still aren't very good and will likely be struggling to make the playoffs again.

Funny you say that. Habs haven't had a "playoff bound" outlook to a season from those same media since 2016. Oh well. :laugh:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Funny you say that. Habs haven't had a "playoff bound" outlook to a season from those same media since 2016. Oh well. :laugh:
I take what the media says with a grain of salt. Their job is to sell newspapers and some of them have never played a single game of hockey but like to pretend they are experts.
And get 5 sports writers in a room and you'll be in tough to find a consensus opinion.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

If your narrative was right, Pens would have blew us out of the play in round. Fluke win? Well, the Habs actually outplayed the Flyers but bounces did not go our way. This was all before our recent trades and additions.

Contending? A very small chance we can get in the top 5 but we can certainly get into the 5-10 range mix. I don't think you know the Habs previous flaws and how those were addressed with our recent moves this off season.

Guys like Weber and Petry have shown no evidence of decline in their 30 plus years. Did you know that Giordano is 37 this next season? If Gio can do it, Weber and Petry can bud.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I just wish that Gaudreau is traded to a Eastern Conference US team, so all of this would stop.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If your narrative was right, Pens would have blew us out of the play in round. Fluke win? Well, the Habs actually outplayed the Flyers but bounces did not go our way. This was all before our recent trades and additions.

Contending? A very small chance we can get in the top 5 but we can certainly get into the 5-10 range mix. I don't think you know the Habs previous flaws and how those were addressed with our recent moves this off season.

Guys like Weber and Petry have shown no evidence of decline in their 30 plus years. Did you know that Giordano is 37 this next season? If Gio can do it, Weber and Petry can bud.
I'm not your kid brother. Giordano definitely declined this year. It was especially noticeable in the return to play. Smaller, cerebral defenseman tend to age better (Markov, Giordano, Rafalski, Niedermeyer ect) than big guys do. I'm not saying they are going to regress for sure, just saying it's kind of a coin flip. You guys seem to be relying on a lot of coin flips to be a good team. Some of those will turn out and others won't.

Yes, it was a fluke win. That happens all the time in the playoffs. Tampa has been by far the best team in the league for quite some time now and only has one cup. Chicago beat Edmonton (I hate the Oilers, but they should have beat Chicago). Dallas beat Colorado and Vegas. Both are better teams than Dallas. I'll take the 70 game sample size over the 10 game sample size any day of the week.

I don't hate the Habs or wish you guys bad fortune. I just don't see your roster as anything more than a borderline playoff team. For the record, I don't see my team as much better than than either.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I remember when the consensus was this was dumb and didn't make sense, on like page 3. How this topic has gone on so long is silly. Especially when its the exact same ideas being said over and over again. "Flames want this, Canadiens cant do that, they'd do this. Ok, Flames don't want that, they want this though, but Canadiens can't they'd offer this. But then then the Flames don't do it???"

It's just been the same shit recycled for 11 pages now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not your kid brother. Giordano definitely declined this year. It was especially noticeable in the return to play. Smaller, cerebral defenseman tend to age better (Markov, Giordano, Rafalski, Niedermeyer ect) than big guys do. I'm not saying they are going to regress for sure, just saying it's kind of a coin flip. You guys seem to be relying on a lot of coin flips to be a good team. Some of those will turn out and others won't.

Yes, it was a fluke win. That happens all the time in the playoffs. Tampa has been by far the best team in the league for quite some time now and only has one cup. Chicago beat Edmonton (I hate the Oilers, but they should have beat Chicago). Dallas beat Colorado and Vegas. Both are better teams than Dallas. I'll take the 70 game sample size over the 10 game sample size any day of the week.

So Gio declined in his age 36 season eh? Or did he just get back to his career averages and his 18/19 season was above average? I think Flames fans are fine with the 37 year old Giordano this next season to come. So yeah, I'm ok with Weber at 35 and Petry at 32.

Not a fluke win. You don't beat the Pens like that and then give the Flyers a real test in back to back series if you were not a playoff team. You don't understand where the Habs are at clearly. Context of the actual situation is over your head. You are also ignoring several comments made by players and management about the Habs and what moves they have made this off season.

Habs have good years left from our mix of vets, mid core, and youth. Maybe in 3/4 years, we have to revaluate cause Weber retires before his age 38 season and Price is 35/36. Habs are not closer to a rebuild vs a 5-10 contender mix. Keep dreaming. Flames are closer to a rebuild than the Habs bud. Reality

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
So Gio declined in his age 36 season eh? Or did he just get back to his career averages and his 18/19 season was above average? I think Flames fans are fine with the 37 year old Giordano this next season to come. So yeah, I'm ok with Weber at 35 and Petry at 32.

Not a fluke win. You don't beat the Pens like that and then give the Flyers a real test in back to back series if you were not a playoff team. You don't understand where the Habs are at clearly. Context of the actual situation is over your head. You are also ignoring several comments made by players and management about the Habs and what moves they have made this off season.

Habs have good years left from our mix of vets, mid core, and youth. Maybe in 3/4 years, we have to revaluate cause Weber retires before his age 38 season and Price is 35/36. Habs are not closer to a rebuild vs a 5-10 contender mix. Keep dreaming. Flames are closer to a rebuild than the Habs bud. Reality
Oh my. What a post. I said they are a borderline playoff team. Mediocrity is where you don't want to be as an organization. It was absolutely a fluke win. Do you honestly think that a 4 game or 6 game sample size is more valid than a 70 game sample size. Giordano's best year wasn't 18/19. He was much better in 13/14 and 14/15 than he was in 18/19. Yes of course we are fine with Giordano going forward, but he isn't going to not decline. It's just that the decline will probably be moving from an all situations, no questions asked #1 defenseman to a #2 defenseman. Weber isn't going to become Yannick Weber or anything. But he will most likely decline moving forward.

I think outside of Montreal you'll find most people would see it the same way I do. They will be a borderline playoff team. I do think the moves they made will improve a 12th place team, but it's not like they were a 5th place team who added and is now elite. Anderson has averaged 16 goals per season over the last 3 years. I'd bet on 20. Toffoli is probably a good bet for 20 as well. Allen is a good backup or poor starter. It's an improvement to be sure, but not massively. No GM ever leaves an offseason thinking they didn't do good things and I've never heard a GM or team publicly state they don't like their team. Let's not forget you deleted a 50-60 point player in Domi to get Anderson as well.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I remember when the consensus was this was dumb and didn't make sense, on like page 3. How this topic has gone on so long is silly. Especially when its the exact same ideas being said over and over again. "Flames want this, Canadiens cant do that, they'd do this. Ok, Flames don't want that, they want this though, but Canadiens can't they'd offer this. But then then the Flames don't do it???"

It's just been the same shit recycled for 11 pages now.
Gaudreau who?? This is now a discussion about whether Montreal is now a legit playoff/contending team and whether or not Montreal is better than Calgary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00