Eklund Rumor: Montreal discussing Gaudreau

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Ok fine. Because of their great system Montreal is a Stanley Cup contender and has been for years. Thats what great systems do isn't it?

We'll conveniently agree to forget that Carey Price has carried the team on his back for the last 12 years.

Surely you understand that the teams with the best systems are generally teams that aren't doing well in the standings, right?

You oddly pointed out that Montreal finished 26th, so how could they have a great system even though finishing at the bottom of the standings is literally the most important aspect of having a great system because it affords you a better drafting position.

You seemed to skip the part where I asked you to google "Best Systems in the NHL" and gee, I wonder why that might have been omitted?

Montreal Canadiens ranked 3rd in the league.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-farm-system-rankings/

Montreal Canadiens ranked 5th in the league.

NHL farm system rankings: Best, worst prospect pipelines for 2019-20, from 1 to 31

NHL Farm System Rankings: Which Team Has the Best Group of Prospects?

Montreal Canadiens ranked 6th in the league.

2020-21 DobberProspects Organizational Rankings: 8-4

Pronman: 2019-20 NHL farm system rankings

You don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Surely you understand that the teams with the best systems are generally teams that aren't doing well in the standings, right?

You oddly pointed out that Montreal finished 26th, so how could they have a great system even though finishing at the bottom of the standings is literally the most important aspect of having a great system because it affords you a better drafting position.

You seemed to skip the part where I asked you to google "Best Systems in the NHL" and gee, I wonder why that might have been omitted?

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-farm-system-rankings/

Montreal Canadiens ranked 5th in the league.

NHL farm system rankings: Best, worst prospect pipelines for 2019-20, from 1 to 31

NHL Farm System Rankings: Which Team Has the Best Group of Prospects?

2020-21 DobberProspects Organizational Rankings: 8-4

Pronman: 2019-20 NHL farm system rankings

You don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about.
LOL

Ok... the Habs have the best farm system in the world. Strange though how most of the teams that have the worst ratings are regular Stanley Cup competitors. Perhaps its because they regularly draft good players and they don't last in the AHL very long, if they spend time there at all?
But... if your goal is to have the best minor league team... I'll give you that.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I'm an Habs fan just like you and when I look at this I just wanna bang my head agains't a wall. Lets say our best prospect is Romanov or Caufield...

You are saying Drouin+one of the two above mentioned is the best all other teams will offer Calgary?

Did you mean this is what Habs can offer for a trade involving any player on any teams OR did you think your trade proposal was a fair one for Gaudreau? Sorry if I misinterpreded.

Also, close this Ecklown thread please

No was for Gaudreau. I'm saying this is what the Habs could realistically offer, not that it's a great offer. Would be tough to part with Caufield or Romanov but I would consider giving up some other good quality ones like Poehling or a 1st round pick to make this happen.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Drouin and Guhle would be in play but if the Habs move Danault, we are left with 20 and 21 year old centers after we acquire Gaudreau for 2 years? That makes no sense for the Habs. I'd trade Danault if we had a trusted center to replace him but we don't. What we going to do? Sign M Koivu?

Also, where do the Habs play Hanifin now that we have Romanov, Chiarot, and Edmundson at LD? Don't the Flames need their D?

The other issue is the Habs have no room to add $3M of salary in this trade.
Granlund/Haula wouldn’t be bad value adds. And how exactly will you sign a player under contract?
Hanifin is much better than any of those 3, so make room for him. Romanov hasn’t played an NHL game yet and Edmundson is beyond terrible, you’re in trouble if you’re playing him anything other than bottom pair sheltered minutes.
You could always trade guys like Byron and Tatar in this scenario to open up cap space. And no Calgary is loaded on D. Gio/Ras/Valimaki/Tanev are locks with Kylington/Mackey/Nesterov/Yelesin looking for minutes

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
LOL

Ok... the Habs have the best farm system in the world. Strange though how most of the teams that have the worst ratings are regular Stanley Cup competitors. Perhaps its because they regularly draft good players and they don't last in the AHL very long, if they spend time there at all?
But... if your goal is to have the best minor league team... I'll give you that.

You really don't understand how farm systems work, do you?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You really don't understand how farm systems work, do you?
Yes I do but if you want to think otherwise... go ahead and if it makes you happy I'll say that Montreal has one of the best farm systems in the world. Too bad that hasn't translated to the NHL

Reactions: CF84

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Granlund/Haula wouldn’t be bad value adds. And how exactly will you sign a player under contract?
Hanifin is much better than any of those 3, so make room for him. Romanov hasn’t played an NHL game yet and Edmundson is beyond terrible, you’re in trouble if you’re playing him anything other than bottom pair sheltered minutes.
You could always trade guys like Byron and Tatar in this scenario to open up cap space. And no Calgary is loaded on D. Gio/Ras/Valimaki/Tanev are locks with Kylington/Mackey/Nesterov/Yelesin looking for minutes
You forgot Hanifin in the lock list.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You have to think that for the Habs to make this happen they need to give up to start Romanov or Caufield. Don't see Habs moving Suzuki or Kots. Perhaps:

Romanov/Caufield
Danault
1st

Too much.
Replace Danault with Drouin and allow us to talk to Johnny first. If he has no interest in resigning with us than i pass on even wanting him.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He doesn't or he's trolling or maybe both.
Enjoy your wonderful awe inspiring farm system. Let me know when it starts making a difference in the NHL.
The truth is, without Price, Montreal really isn't that great and the best players that you have drafted in the past 10 years, and are playing for the Habs are .. let me see now... nope, he's not playing for ... neither is he... Here's one... Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

As I said previously the last impact player that Montreal drafted was Brendan Gallagher back in 2010 by Pierre Gauthier in the 5th round Since Marc Bergevin took over in 2012 he's yet to pick a winner. As I said before, Montreal sucks when it comes to evaluating draft talent in rounds other than the first.

And back to the original discussion... Montreal has nothing that Calgary would want for Gaudreau.

But go ahead with your belief that Montreal is superior to most of the other teams in the NHL just because a bunch of sports writers like the players you have down on the farm.

Last edited:

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

Why the hyperbole? Your team lost twice to that minor league team last year. Didn't win a game. In a season where the Habs lost 8 in a row. Twice.

Good stuff. See ya in the Canadian div this year.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Why the hyperbole? Your team lost twice to that minor league team last year. Didn't win a game. In a season where the Habs lost 8 in a row. Twice.

Good stuff. See ya in the Canadian div this year.
What has that got to do with the fact that Montreal has a terrible draft record outside of the first round and Montreal has nothing to offer that Treliving would want in trade for Gaudreau? If you take Price and Gallagher out of the equation, Montreal has zero bonafide stars. Gaudreau is a star. Treliving isnt going to trade one of his star players for chump change.

Last edited:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
What has that got to do with the fact that Montreal has a terrible draft record outside of the first round and Montreal has nothing to offer that Treliving would want in trade for Gaudreau? If you take Price and Gallagher out of the equation, Montreal has zero bonafide stars. Gaudreau is a star. Treliving isnt going to trade one of his star players for chump change.
That is good to hear . A small soft guy who completely disappears in the playoffs isn’t something we want . He’d also be leaving town in two years so he’s not a desirable target for us . Ps pretty sure he would take suzuki on his Elc for him as the central piece .

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That is good to hear . A small soft guy who completely disappears in the playoffs isn’t something we want . He’d also be leaving town in two years so he’s not a desirable target for us . Ps pretty sure he would take suzuki on his Elc for him as the central piece .
You're right. Who on earth would want THAT guy? Small, has a tendency to make opposing players look bad, only scored 99 pts the season before last and 84 pts the previous season, his worst season was 58 pts in 70 games, and has only gotten 19 pts in 30 playoff games spread over four playoff years. Do you think Treliving might be able to get a bag of used pucks for him?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You're right. Who on earth would want THAT guy? Small, has a tendency to make opposing players look bad, only scored 99 pts the season before last and 84 pts the previous season, his worst season was 58 pts in 70 games, and has only gotten 19 pts in 30 playoff games spread over four playoff years. Do you think Treliving might be able to get a bag of used pucks for him?

Honestly he would be Montreal’s best player by a significant margin. They have no one close to him in terms of talent.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
That’s all nice fellas but when it seems like crunch time he’s nowhere to be found . Now other smaller guys like Patrick Kane bring it up a notch not down . No disrespect but we have had to many small players for to long . The playoffs are a battleground and that’s not to Johnny’s liking and you know it . If yous love him that much just keep him .

Reactions: decaguard

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That’s all nice fellas but when it seems like crunch time he’s nowhere to be found . Now other smaller guys like Patrick Kane bring it up a notch not down . No disrespect but we have had to many small players for to long . The playoffs are a battleground and that’s not to Johnny’s liking and you know it . If yous love him that much just keep him .

It’s hard to pin our lack of playoff success on Johnny. He hasn’t really had much support. These were also the exact same things said about Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

I also don’t want to deal Johnny.

Reactions: Mazatt

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Scoring is nice, but he's a marshmallow who’s team gets burned in the playoffs.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Scoring is nice, but he's a marshmallow who’s team gets burned in the playoffs.

Hockey is a team sport. It's funny how people rag on Gaudreau for being a playoff no show but guys like Tkachuk (5p in 15gp) gets a pass.

Gaudreau has had 2 unproductive playoff series where he was completely shadowed by the opposition. They were able to do that because nobody else is a real threat to create offense on the flames other than Gaudreau.

Gaudreau is a winner. He's won at every level - USHL championship, NCAA championship, and a WJC gold medal. Without him the flames don't even make the playoffs.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Hockey is a team sport. It's funny how people rag on Gaudreau for being a playoff no show but guys like Tkachuk (5p in 15gp) gets a pass.

Gaudreau has had 2 unproductive playoff series where he was completely shadowed by the opposition. They were able to do that because nobody else is a real threat to create offense on the flames other than Gaudreau.

Gaudreau is a winner. He's won at every level - USHL championship, NCAA championship, and a WJC gold medal. Without him the flames don't even make the playoffs.

I love it when people who have an award winning perennial all-star goalie like to pretend they have a great team and that Johnny Gaudreau won't make them any better and the players they would have to give up to get him are better that Gaudreau.
Delusional.
Without Price Montreal would be fighting teams like LA and Detroit for the #1 draft pick.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I love it when people who have an award winning perennial all-star goalie like to pretend they have a great team and that Johnny Gaudreau won't make them any better and the players they would have to give up to get him are better that Gaudreau.
Delusional.
Without Price Montreal would be fighting teams like LA and Detroit for the #1 draft pick.
Sure he would make our team better . But he will not stay in Montreal . In two years he’s heading to philly or New Jersey . We are not willing to give up a Suzuki and a romanov for two years of Johnny . No team would . That’s the problem. And forget the “he might sign “ . It’s not worth the risk . We know you don’t want a drouin as the key piece . Or a Tatar . That’s understandable. There’s just no deal to be had here . Try jersey

Reactions: Sick Nuzuki

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Sure he would make our team better . But he will not stay in Montreal . In two years he’s heading to philly or New Jersey . We are not willing to give up a Suzuki and a romanov for two years of Johnny . No team would . That’s the problem. And forget the “he might sign “ . It’s not worth the risk . We know you don’t want a drouin as the key piece . Or a Tatar . That’s understandable. There’s just no deal to be had here . Try jersey
You know his dad comes from a town (Beebe Plain) that straddles the Quebec/Vermont border and is 162 kms southeast of Montreal? You just have to wake up the Quebecois in him. Expose him to his ancestral roots.
And its only an hour and 45 minute flight from Montreal to where his parents live just outside of Philly. There's a chance he could re-sign with Les Habs.

But yes... you guys really don't have anything that you would be willing to give up, that Treliving would want, to get Gaudreau. The team that likely gets him will be a team that wants to win, or is capable of winning, the cup in the next couple of years. Or its Philly or NJ who just want their native son to come home.

Last edited:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I sense some condescending language in that you feel Montreal is light years away from a cup . With our additions this year I like our chances better than Calgary’s . Wouldn’t you agree?

Reactions: viceroy

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I sense some condescending language in that you feel Montreal is light years away from a cup . With our additions this year I like our chances better than Calgary’s . Wouldn’t you agree?

Two middle six wingers, a bottom pairing defenseman, and an expensive backup goalie. Really not like that's some super special off season or anything, especially considering they traded a young productive player for an older less productive player and then payed him exorbitantly.

Did you see the team Tampa Bay put together this year? The Habs are no where close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad