Eklund Rumor: Montreal discussing Gaudreau

Status
Not open for further replies.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I'm an Habs fan just like you and when I look at this I just wanna bang my head agains't a wall. Lets say our best prospect is Romanov or Caufield...

You are saying Drouin+one of the two above mentioned is the best all other teams will offer Calgary.

Did you mean this is what Habs can offer for a trade involving any player on any teams OR did you think your trade proposal was a fair one?

Also, close this Ecklown thread please
I think what he is saying is that is the best we can offer. He is saying we are not interested in offering Suzuki or KK in any offer for Gaudreau . We can't\won't offer up the pieces your want and your not interested in the pieces we are willing to part with.
We are not good trading partners.

Reactions: Holystik

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
I think what he is saying is that is the best we can offer. He is saying we are not interested in offering Suzuki or KK in any offer for Gaudreau . We can't\won't offer up the pieces your want and your not interested in the pieces we are willing to part with.
We are not good trading partners.
Yeah, I was hoping it was what you're implying. That's why I put the brakes on my reply and asked what was the meaning of it.
Lately I get mad at some of our fanbase proposals, maybe from lack of watching hockey. This one here seems like some misinterpretation and lack of context from my end.

Last edited:

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
You have to think that for the Habs to make this happen they need to give up to start Romanov or Caufield. Don't see Habs moving Suzuki or Kots. Perhaps:

Romanov/Caufield
Danault
1st

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
There's no deal to be had here . Johnny hockey would not be resigning in Montreal so the pieces Calgary would want would not equal what Montreal would be willing to offer for two years . I'm thinking Philly or new jersey . May as well close this one up .

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
There's no deal to be had here . Johnny hockey would not be resigning in Montreal so the pieces Calgary would want would not equal what Montreal would be willing to offer for two years . I'm thinking Philly or new jersey . May as well close this one up .

I actually don’t agree with this narrative. Montreal has arguably the best hockey fanbase in the NHL, I think Johnny would be worshipped there and if he went there and had success, I see no reason why he wouldn’t re-sign. Many high profile wingers have all said how much they love playing there and I don’t see the issue with him staying longterm, but of course that isn’t guaranteed.

One thing people need to give Gaudreau credit for is his ability to elevate those around him. Gaudreau could very take a player like Suzuki or Kotka and push them into that threshold of being an elite C. That’s the kind of impact he has on his team.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Don't see Habs fans too happy about that trade. Favors the Flames, but that's what it would take to move Gaudreau.
I'm surprised you say that, I would kindla agree. I'm pretty sure your fanbase is about to flame you about it.

Yes we would have to tweek our lineup on finding a 3rd line realiable centre on a cheap contract but I would say yes in an hearthbeat.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I actually don’t agree with this narrative. Montreal has arguably the best hockey fanbase in the NHL, I think Johnny would be worshipped there and if he went there and had success, I see no reason why he wouldn’t re-sign. Many high profile wingers have all said how much they love playing there and I don’t see the issue with him staying longterm, but of course that isn’t guaranteed.

One thing people need to give Gaudreau credit for is his ability to elevate those around him. Gaudreau could very take a player like Suzuki or Kotka and push them into that threshold of being an elite C. That’s the kind of impact he has on his team.
Why would Montreal take that risk ? Assets it would take to see it disappear in two years . But there’s a chance ? Screw that .

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You have to think that for the Habs to make this happen they need to give up to start Romanov or Caufield. Don't see Habs moving Suzuki or Kots. Perhaps:

Romanov/Caufield
Danault
1st

As a Habs fan, I'd do this below. The highest offer I would have and if another team ups that offer, I'm out.

- Caufield but I would push for Guhle and I think the Flames need a D more than Caufield... especially if they can get Tatar on a Toffoli type contract extension. Think the Flames know Guhle well too.
- Tatar (Possible extension)
- 2020 1st (top 10 protection)
- Byron (Cap reasons)

Habs trading Danault+ for Gaudreau is a lateral move. Gaudreau helps our LW side big time but loosing Danault when the other two centers are 20 and 21 is not so smart.... especially when the point of trading for Gaudreau for 2 years is to go on deep runs in that span.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I'm sure Montreal is talking to lots of teams about possible trades. The truth is that Montreal sucks when it comes to drafting.

Montreal has one of the best systems in the league right now... how can they have one of the top systems while sucking at drafting?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Any glimpse of hope this trade talk is Bergevin dangling Guhle who is from Alberta? Flames need to add D and Guhle fits IMO. If there is any truth to this rumor... I sure Bergevin and the Flames talked Guhle being part of that package to get Gaudreau.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm sure Montreal is talking to lots of teams about possible trades. The truth is that Montreal sucks when it comes to drafting.
As to Calgary trading Gaudreau to Montreal... its not going to happen. Treliving is in the business of improving the team on ice here and now.... not improving the odds of a higher lottery pick next year. Montreal has nobody in their lineup, with the exception of Price, that will make a sans Gaudreau Calgary team better on the ice next year.

The truth is you don't know the context as to why the Habs struggled in past years with the drafting and you have no idea what we have done in recent seasons. If you think the Habs have nobody but Price, you are off the charts on the ignorance scale!

Basically, you don't want the Flames to trade Gaudreau and as a result, you go on a rant and throw false opinions on the Habs system.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016

Romanov/Caufield
Danault
1st

Holy molly Geezus Christ praise the maker, that's quite rich

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
People seem to forget that Gaudreau is a 0.96ppg and still young. Something the habs haven't seen for years. Small or not who gives a f**k, we don't have that.

As many said, the best Habs can offer right now and I do not mean for Gaudreau in particular, is some of Danault (and-or) Tatar/Drouin (and-or) Romanov/Caufield (and-or) 1st.

It is that or nothing. Not saying it is something the Flames want but who cares...
Lets move on
F**k Eklund seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: SensFactor

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Habs need Suzuki and his potential over an elite winger in Gaudreau . There is no trade that would make make sense for both teams.

Reactions: Holystik

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Habs need Suzuki and his potential over an elite winger in Gaudreau . There is no trade that would make make sense for both teams.
Yes for the Habs it doesn't make sense to me. You trade for Gaudreau when you're a team like the Avs. He expires at the same time as Kadri and before Mackinnon too. Would open up a nice cup opportunity.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
No one on Montreal should be untouchable
No one in the entire NHL or any league is untouchable. Untouchable is a term that some people take far too literally. Untouchable basically means he's going nowhere unless you overpay for him stupidly.

Most teams feel like they they win a trade when they make it. But there's always still question marks. A player like Suzuki, you have to win it so significantly that no one on earth except the GM who made it can make sense of it.

On that note, as much as I love Kotkaniemi and his commitment to becoming an incredibly talented all-around player, I don't think he's off the table. Neither is Romanov, Norlinder, Caufield, etc.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Danault, Drouin and Guhle for Gaudreau and Hanifin

Drouin and Guhle would be in play but if the Habs move Danault, we are left with 20 and 21 year old centers after we acquire Gaudreau for 2 years? That makes no sense for the Habs. I'd trade Danault if we had a trusted center to replace him but we don't. What we going to do? Sign M Koivu?

Also, where do the Habs play Hanifin now that we have Romanov, Chiarot, and Edmundson at LD? Don't the Flames need their D?

The other issue is the Habs have no room to add $3M of salary in this trade.

Reactions: MessierII

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I really don't see how this makes any sense for the Flames. They clearly acquired "win now" pieces this off season and will be going for it.

The Flames' only major weakness is in their top line. So they need an upgrade there. The only player with similar offensive production to Gaudreau last year was Tatar. However, Gaudreau outscored Tatar by 41 points the year prior. Tatar is also older and his contract expires a year earlier. So that trade makes zero sense.

The Flames don't have roster spots for a quality for depth move.

I just don't see how a Gaudreau trade with Montreal makes any sense.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Montreal has one of the best systems in the league right now... how can they have one of the top systems while sucking at drafting?
Best systems? They finished 24th in league standings and barely got into the playoffs and if it hadn't been for the pandemic they wouldn't have made it at all. They haven't drafted an impact player in I don't know how long. All their decent players are a result of trade.
They suck at drafting. The last good player that they didn't pick in the first round was Brendan Gallagher in 2010.

Montreal Canadiens Draft History at hockeydb.com

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Best systems? They finished 24th in league standings and barely got into the playoffs and if it hadn't been for the pandemic they wouldn't have made it at all. They haven't drafted an impact player in I don't know how long. All their decent players are a result of trade.
They suck at drafting. The last good player that they didn't pick in the first round was Brendan Gallagher in 2010.

Montreal Canadiens Draft History at hockeydb.com

Oh boy.

Just google Best NHL systems. Let me know if you can find a single ranking that doesn't have Montreal in the Top Ten in the league. More likely in the Top Five.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Oh boy.

Just google Best NHL systems. Let me know if you can find a single ranking that doesn't have Montreal in the Top Ten in the league. More likely in the Top Five.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.
Ok fine. Because of their great system Montreal is a Stanley Cup contender and has been for years. Thats what great systems do isn't it?

We'll conveniently agree to forget that Carey Price has carried the team on his back for the last 12 years.

Last edited:

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
With the Pandemic going on players on there ELC contracts are worth a lot more. Also Suzuki Kotka and Romanov are not being moved unless there is an overpayment being made. This has been said many times but the Habs are basically done this off season. I think most Hab fans are feeling pretty good about the new adds MB did this year. Habs want to get bigger and more skilled. Johnny has the skill but not the size and hes been awful in the playoffs. The Habs have already tried it with small skilled players and that has not worked out at all over the years starting from Cammallari to Gionta to David Deshardais.

So again a trade between the Habs and Flames does not make any sense unless the Habs really struggle to score goes mid way through the season but I am pretty confident with the additions of Anderson and Toffoli we are pretty much set at wing unless Tatar is moved with picks+prospects to get a better winger which most likely wont happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad