GDT: Montreal Canadiens vs Toronto Maple Leafs: 4/7/18 7:00pm EST TVA, CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Why is Bozak to the Habs such a thing being buzzed about right now? He is an overall good (albeit atypical) third line centre at this point in his career, he isn't a top 6 centre on a team going anywhere. Bringing him to Montreal I guess helps centre depth which is sorely needed (and his odd-job skills of being really good at winning faceoffs and scoring in shootouts are always helpful), but signing him doesn't address the real problem of the Habs forward group: They don't have a #1 Centre or even a real #2 (Drouin is much better suited on the wing). Bozak doesn't help that: He wasn't a real #1C on the Leafs between 2011 and 2015 (although there were times he would have been a legit 2C if he were on a respectable team) and he sure isn't now at age 32.

Why? Because Bergevin.

The guy is the definition of inept, and is absolutely desperate for any Center. He’ll settle for Bozak, because he’s an idiot.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Why? Because Bergevin.

The guy is the definition of inept, and is absolutely desperate for any Center. He’ll settle for Bozak, because he’s an idiot.
Ah... I didn't really get that, my bad.

It isn't that Bozak is bad (his career numbers project to be 50 points per 82 games), it is just he really isn't a full time top-6 guy at this point in his career. He is a solid #3C with solid offense, face-offs and no defense who can moonlight as a 2C in an emergency; he just absolutely is not now (or ever was) a 1C on anything other than a dumpster fire team.

PS: I am still shocked Bergevin is getting kept by Molson. Why the hell does the guy have such an insanely long leash? He has just screwed up constantly. Just imagine what Montreal's blueline would look like without him: Subban, Mcdonagh (admittedly not Bergevin's fault), Sergachev and Petry would be the best top-4 in the NHL. Instead...

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I heard he is starting. They want to go into the playoffs playing strong.

Andrew Raycroft jointly holds the win record for the Leafs and Andersen is tied with him and Belfour for it, a win would give him the record. Leafs also need a point to beat their previous high of 103 points. That one is not really as important because to really beat the record the Leafs would need 110-115 points as Pat Quinn’s Leafs had 103 points when ties were still a thing.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
They waived him today, no?

Edit: Apparently he can still play even though he's been waived. Not sure how that works.

Anyway, Habs have to lose tonight. Coreau is literally the worst goalie in the league, and can't be counted on to let in less than 4 goals a game. Detroit isn't picking up a point tonight. Habs have to take care of themselves.

Corail is not an NHL goalie. Detroit knows how to tank. Us? We still play Niemi instead of Lindgren or Fucale...

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It's Saturday night at home on national television. If there was nights off to give it had to be done before this game.
ah they should get over themselves.......Anderson or the back up......nobody watching cares which goalie is in for a nothing game.

Blues Aves is the game to watch anyways.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
Yup, I know we both theorized this in the Wings PGT. Hoping for a strong game from the Leafs and they don’t just mail it in.

Side note, good job to all the GDT contributors this year and in particular @donghabs98, @Runner77, @roy munson, @Bloumeister and @groovejuice for the work this year. I know there are others (sorry, recency bias), so thanks all. I know how hard it was given this gong show of a season.

That's very nice, but I've been very lazy this season... Dong, Runner, yourself and many others deserve a lot of credit :thumbu:

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
ah they should get over themselves.......Anderson or the back up......nobody watching cares that much for a nothing game.

there is something called pride, it's also nice to go into the playoffs on a high, and running us out of the rink tonight would do just that,

if the tables were reversed, you can bet every dollar you have that the habs would want to smoke the leafs in a game like this.....even if it is "a nothing game"

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
there is something called pride, it's also nice to go into the playoffs on a high, and running us out of the rink tonight would do just that,

if the tables were reversed, you can bet every dollar you have that the habs would want to smoke the leafs in a game like this.....even if it is "a nothing game"
they dont need Anderson to smoke the habs. Have you seen the back ups numbers?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Babcock not giving anyone night off.

Why not?

Pretty standard basic move.

I don't think coaches have a consensus on this. Some might think this is the last dress rehearsal to fix out some kinks before the real dance. Others may just think of it as an opportunity to rest guys.

My take is that if you have guys playing hurt, and I mean more hurt than usual at this time of year, give them a night off. Otherwise, play them.

If I want to manage Goodwill with the players, I would not scratch them if they are relatively healthy. If they have bought in to what I have been selling all year, I reward them with the chance to play, not take away ice time.

At the end if the day, players want to play no matter what, so unless there is an actual ailment, let them play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad