GDT: Montreal at Florida 12/29/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Agreed, the main thing now is to get into the playoffs and get experience to the young core. How far the current team goes is up to the them, but we certainly aren't desperate for a SC run at this point.

Tampa will still more than likely make it, it's not like they're 20pts out of a playoff spot.

I wouldn't say Tampa is more than likely to make it. A couple good teams aren't going to make it in. They've got a big decision to make with Stamkos. If they can't sign him they would be insane not to trade him and that will affect their playoff chances.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I wouldn't say Tampa is more than likely to make it. A couple good teams aren't going to make it in. They've got a big decision to make with Stamkos. If they can't sign him they would be insane not to trade him and that will affect their playoff chances.

They were in the SCFs with the same roster in the previous season... that as a sole reason justifies them to believe that it's better to leave the Stamkos-extension to the off-season. Considering how much quality depth TBL has in in every position in their junior/farm-system, they are not desperate to get relatively minuscule assets in return (e.g. a low 1st rounder, a roster player, etc) instead of finding out how far their team could go on this season.

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
They were in the SCFs with the same roster in the previous season... that as a sole reason justifies them to believe that it's better to leave the Stamkos-extension to the off-season. Considering how much quality depth TBL has in in every position in their junior/farm-system, they are not desperate to get relatively minuscule assets in return (e.g. a low 1st rounder, a roster player, etc) instead of finding out how far their team could go on this season.

This assumes they make the playoffs. Missing the playoffs and keeping Stamkos who doesn't seem keen on signing with them would be a disaster.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
This assumes they make the playoffs. Missing the playoffs and keeping Stamkos who doesn't seem keen on signing with them would be a disaster.

No, it assumes that they are still in the mix for making it to the playoffs. The disaster happened when TBL signed Stamkos to a five year deal. This is just the fallout.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
No, it assumes that they are still in the mix for making it to the playoffs. The disaster happened when TBL signed Stamkos to a five year deal. This is just the fallout.

Losing Stamkos for nothing will be an asset management disaster. Tampa doesn't appear to be the same team as last year and I don't see them going on a run.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Losing Stamkos for nothing will be an asset management disaster. Tampa doesn't appear to be the same team as last year and I don't see them going on a run.

2pts out of a wildcard position before we've reached the halfway point for the season makes them excused from the playoffs, huh. And Barkov+ for Kessel wouldn't have been asset management disaster? :sarcasm:

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
my bet is one of the young guys came in wearing it and they made fun of the person until it turned into the good luck item

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Just watched the game.

All round great game again.

Thought Gudbs played amazing all game. One of our best on the ice.

Oh, and we have this one guy.. Barkov ... :bow:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
2pts out of a wildcard position before we've reached the halfway point for the season makes them excused from the playoffs, huh. And Barkov+ for Kessel wouldn't have been asset management disaster? :sarcasm:

I didn't say that. Please don't put words in my mouth. If they're fighting for a spot at the deadline they should trade Stamkos. If they have a wild card spot it would be worth considering for their long term future.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Any thoughts to why you think this?

We'll, obviously you want Stamkos on your team so I think Tampa Bay owner will shell out the coin. And I read Stamkos said he wants to win there so unless he is a stone cold liar (which could be), I'll take his word and think he stays.

This is all just my opinion, I don't have insider info or anything.

-ghoste

EstConf96*

We'll, obviously you want Stamkos on your team so I think Tampa Bay owner will shell out the coin. And I read Stamkos said he wants to win there so unless he is a stone cold liar (which could be), I'll take his word and think he stays.

This is all just my opinion, I don't have insider info or anything.

-ghoste

Okej well i always thought it strange that he wanted to leave in the first place. But then again MSL asked to be traded so stranger things have happend in S.Florida.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Okej well i always thought it strange that he wanted to leave in the first place. But then again MSL asked to be traded so stranger things have happend in S.Florida.

Didn't MSL want to be traded after being hurt about Stevie Y not selecting him for the Olympics?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I wasn't counting them out. I wasn't keen on Gallant coaching/decisions. I kept saying the team had talent and they weren't living up to their potential. I've said all along on paper this is a team that can make the playoffs.

As I mentioned before in this thread, if this team is on a 100/100+ point pace at the trade deadline it makes sense to add to this roster. Can't reasonably speculate today what we should do. There is enough parity in this league and I believe we're one of the better teams.

I'm not saying go all in but why not add? Look at Tampa. Everyone thought they'd be running away with the division but they're on the outside looking in and they may lose Stamkos. You can't always bank on the future.

The main core of this team is built. Anyone else we add is going to be complimentary anyway. We have a lot of quality picks and prospects as it is.

Look what regular season winning does for attendance. A deep playoff run would be on another level. Yes, I'm getting ahead of myself.

I'm not debating that they won't make the playoffs, though there is a realistic chance that could still happen. I'm debating that a 7-8 team should not give up much to improve their chances, because the chances of winning against a top tier opponent are small.

Tampa is a poor example because they've been decimated by injuries. Pittsburgh, NJD and Lumbus are my 3 surprise teams.

Trading a 5th for Wolski type trade is cool. Trading a 1st for Buff isn't.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I'm not debating that they won't make the playoffs, though there is a realistic chance that could still happen. I'm debating that a 7-8 team should not give up much to improve their chances, because the chances of winning against a top tier opponent are small.

Tampa is a poor example because they've been decimated by injuries. Pittsburgh, NJD and Lumbus are my 3 surprise teams.

Trading a 5th for Wolski type trade is cool. Trading a 1st for Buff isn't.

If we're limping into the playoffs, it doesn't make sense to add. But if we're on a 100/100+ point pace it does, imo. There is a lot of parity. And just because Washington is better doesn't mean we couldn't beat them, especially if we added a key player.

Injuries happen, exactly. You can't always count on the future.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Saying who the leafs would want is not suggesting to trade him.:shakehead

You were all for trading Barkov for a superstar like Kessel just own it.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=94600535&postcount=984

RainingRats said:
I'm not for trading him because I doubt his potential or skill. You and many others seem to not understand this. He's the key piece that brings back one of the best goal scorers. Obviously I'm not undervaluing him.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad