GDT: Montreal at Florida 12/29/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure why everyone targeting RR here for being upset. By thanksgiving a good majority including myself thought this season was done. We were up until that point out-matched and out-worked for approximately 75% of games.

The change was that HBJ clicked again and the confidence and work ethic exuded through the line-up. I don't think it was good coaching to be quite honest.

Gallant is no Babock.

Nothing didn't change coaching/strategy-wise in my opinion. It was on the players because they weren't willing to pay the price (which Gallant shared at some post-game interview). Could be that Bolland's presence was detrimental to this team attitude-wise ("Why should I try to put in the extra effort when this guy doesn't?") or whatever it was... but by now each player should know that it pays to work hard. There's only so much that a coach can do if the players don't want to win wholeheartedly. Coaches are way too easy to blame regardless that I don't think that Gallant is anything special.

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Agreed, I doubt Gallant suddenly got a lot better. Rather, the players started putting in the extra effort, and it shows. Growing pains with a young team. Plus the HBJ line started clicking again.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Things Gallant changed

D pairs
Line Combos (yes even the underwhelming Grimaldi games, and bringing Brick back).

Zone starts

D pair with top line more often.

Shortening the bench in the 3rd, he himself has said this.

Those are all SOME of the things he changed that player performance had nothing to do with

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
This has nothing to do with gallant changing... If a coach changes then the players know he's crap... A coach must stay true to his beliefs and philosophies or the players won't follow... This also isn't really an effort issue... The effort hasn't been a problem for this team but when a team isn't playing good it's easy for fans to blame effort.. When a young core like this is struggling like they were it had more to do with just being a half step behind in everything... Passes weren't crisp or just off, make a decision where to go a split second too late and bam everything is chaos due to pace
Of game... Makes it look like no one is trying even tho they r busting their ***** and just a half step behind... Ok ew this team was Capeable of this cause I saw it for the majority of last year.. Sometimes it just takes a young team or old veterans a bit to get everything synced... Part of the problem with no players in their primes... I am surprised they r playing this well this consistently this early in their careers as a team but the potential was always their... Just like it was always their for Barkov.. U could see the tools and the talent waiting bust out... If u couldn't see it and wanted him traded for kessel that's meant u just weren't watching his tools and just worried about production.. Similar to the huberdeau badgers earlier this year

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Things Gallant changed

D pairs
Line Combos (yes even the underwhelming Grimaldi games, and bringing Brick back).

Zone starts

Those are all SOME of the things he changed that player performance had nothing to do with

Every coach changes that stuff multiple times a year.. There was no philosophical or identity change in gallant... It's called line juggling... It will happen again when things stagnate a bit then u can all jump on the bash gallant wagon again

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Every coach changes that stuff multiple times a year.. There was no philosophical or identity change in gallant... It's called line juggling... It will happen again when things stagnate a bit then u can all jump on the bash gallant wagon again

Changing zone starts and shortening the bench is certainly a philosophical change.

I didnt bash Gallant. I hated how he ran his craft though.

And didnt you yourself said that they couldnt change the powe rplay last year because of not having enough time?

Doesnt really matter though. Point is he changed in some capacity.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Changing zone starts and shortening the bench is certainly a philosophical change.

I didnt bash Gallant. I hated how he ran his craft though.

And didnt you yourself said that they couldnt change the powe rplay last year because of not having enough time?

Doesnt really matter though. Point is he changed in some capacity.

Yup and it stands true today.. there aren't many spots in the schedule where u get ample practice time to make philosophical major switches in special teams... Edmonton is going through it now... u can switch the lines but to totally switch the formation, no u can't just make the switch as easily as u or other posters think... again I have seen it first hand so I would know... he also didn't change zone starts lol... he rolls his lines for the most part and since other lines r playing better and finishing their shifts in opposition territory it may seem like that to some but no...

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Yup and it stands true today.. there aren't many spots in the schedule where u get ample practice time to make philosophical major switches in special teams... Edmonton is going through it now... u can switch the lines but to totally switch the formation, no u can't just make the switch as easily as u or other posters think... again I have seen it first hand so I would know... he also didn't change zone starts lol... he rolls his lines for the most part and since other lines r playing better and finishing their shifts in opposition territory it may seem like that to some but no...

Can't argue with firsthand exposure.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Things Gallant changed

D pairs

Zone starts

D pairs - Madden runs the dpairs and Gallant has said he has nothing to do with them

Shortening the bench in 3rd in some extent. Why Pirri is out there is tight games with under 5 minutes to go does not make any sense. He's our worst players without the puck by far

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
But to me, that 4th line could be just as good as the 3rd line. I don't agree with shortening the bench due to that aspect. But with MacKenzie on the 3rd line I'm sure Gallant feels more comfortable with that line.

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
I still can't believe we have to wait until All Star break till we see changes in the PP. :(

Have they not done some changes already though, or am I wrong? I seem to think changes has been done to zone entry. I don't think the PP is all that bad though. BUT they seriously have to change up the 2nd unit. Can't pass Pirri ALL the time. Create different plays and have the defending team guessing. It looks like everyone is already in motion to defend a Pirri slapshot before he even get the puck. :laugh: Either change it up or at least have a bunch of traffic in front if you must use it all the time.

Love how the team is playing right now, that 1st line can produce some filthy passing and plays! The entire team is just clicking right now and we still have Bjugstad out currently. Is it pure coinsidence that the team is firing on all cylinders when Bolland got scratched/sent down? Could he have been a negative influence in the dressing room? There will obviously be a few more bumps along the road but this team looks really good right now and especially that 1st line. Maybe Barkov can be the finisher everyone wanted Huberdeau to be....with Huby as the passer? Shaping up that way. :) How many goals is Barkov on pace for?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
D pairs - Madden runs the dpairs and Gallant has said he has nothing to do with them

Shortening the bench in 3rd in some extent. Why Pirri is out there is tight games with under 5 minutes to go does not make any sense. He's our worst players without the puck by far

I seem to recall Madden handles who steps on the ice? Not necessarily who is paired with whom? Gallant sets the line-up no?

Gallant then manages the forwards during the game and Madden the D-Pairs?

I find it hard to believe he doesnt make the pairings.

Does that mean Madden decides which D gets scratched once Kampfer comes back?

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I still can't believe we have to wait until All Star break till we see changes in the PP. :(

They don't have to... I am not familiar with their schedule or practices or such.. road trips u get little practice time... this time at home right niw with a few days between games is good practice time.. but when your playing every other day u don't really practice like u normally woukd... more of a quick skate kind of thing for fine tuning and keeping sharp.. nit to change strategies... also last year was first year of system so they needed to allow sufficient games to adjust to new systems and try to turn it around.. u can't just switch something after 20 games in a new system if it isn't working like u want...

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I seem to recall Madden handles who steps on the ice? Not necessarily who is paired with whom? Gallant sets the line-up no?

Gallant then manages the forwards during the game and Madden the D-Pairs?

I find it hard to believe he doesnt make the pairings.

Does that mean Madden decides which D gets scratched once Kampfer comes back?

Kampfer is coming back to be the scratch, or at least should be.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Madden handles the d-pairings going in, augmented about a dozen games ago when Guds got caught on that brutal early line change (& subsequent too many men call obviously) and Gallant was giving an earful to Madden before the PK started.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Here's what really changed: strength of schedule.

Look at our first stretch of games....absolutely brutal. Our last 10 or so have been fluffy soft in comparison. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad